This instalment adds more cities and has more realistic graphics than previous games in the 18 Wheels of Steel franchise. The ability to use custom soundtracks and save games during deliveries was added also. You can choose from 32 rigs, 45+ cargoes and 47+ trailers. The game doesn't require a very powerful computer to operate reasonably well, but it requires an up-to-date graphics card (RAM 256MB, processor 1.40 GHz, 128MB video card). Prism 3D may not respond on older graphics cards, resulting in a game crash on the game's startup.
All trucks in the game were given fictional names in substitution for their real ones, such as Frisk, Intrepid, Metalhorse, Pacific, Kinetic, Volcano, Stormrage, and Whiplash. The names listed below are the real-life names of every truck.
- Ford Trucks CLT9000
- Freightliner Trucks Classic, Columbia, Columbia sleeper, Coronado, Argosy, Century Class
- Navistar International 8600, 8600 sleeper, 9200, 9300 Eagle, 9400, 9900
- Mack Trucks 613, Vision
- Peterbilt 320, 351, 357, 362, 379, 385, 387
- Kenworth K100, T600, T800, T2000, W900
- Volvo VN770
- Sterling Trucks 9513
- Western Star 4900, 4900 EX, 6900 XD