Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A timeline of events that happened in 1992.
Treasure Co. Ltd., a Japanese game developer consisting of ex-Konami employees, is founded on June 19, 1992. The company would come to be known for extremely difficult shmup (shoot 'em up) Ikaruga, originally released for Sega Dreamcast, and Silpheed: The Lost Planet, a PlayStation 2 remake of the Sega CD shmup classic Silpheed.
Silicon Knights arrive in shining armor
Canada-based Silicon Knights is founded by Denis Dyack in July 1992 with the release of Cyber Empire for PC. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for Nintendo GameCube is one of the company's most famous titles. Long-in-development Too Human is expected to be released in 2008 for the Xbox 360.
Notable software releases
- Famed developer Silicon Knights' first release puts the company on the map.
- Samus Aran ventures to the Metroids home planet in this all-new adventure.
- New to the classic Mario series were Yoshi and the Super Feather, a Raccoon Suit-like powerup giving Mario a cape and allowing him to fly.
- With a return to the classic style of The Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past became one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time.
- Race karts with one of eight characters from the Mario universe.
- The first Mario racer comes to North America.
- Innovation in dungeon design — utilizing multiple floors and basements — is just one of the new features in the third Zelda game.
- Shortly before the fourth game is released in the US, the fifth game comes out in Japan.
- The fourth Dragon Quest role-playing game hits North America.
- Boasting new skills like the Space Jump and items such as the Plasma Beam, Metroid II was initially thought to be a good game, but is now considered the weakest title in the series.
- November - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (November 21 - Sega Genesis, US; November 21 - Sega Mega Drive, JP; November 24 - Sega Mega Drive, EU)
- Along with Sonic CD, this was the first game to feature Sonic's famous spindash.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found