Asobo Studio is a French video game development company based in Bordeaux, France, that was founded in 2002 by 12 Kalisto Entertainment former employees, known for having developed video games for both consoles and PC, including video game adaptations Pixar Animation Studios movies Ratatouille, Up and WALL•E. Asobo Studio recently developed an open world racing game for publisher Codemasters named Fuel, which was released in 2009 to mixed reviews.
After Kalisto Entertainment went bankrupt in 2002, 12 employees, including Sébastien Wloch and David Dedeine, bought the rights to the multiplayer PS2 game Superfarm and founded Asobo Studio. They eventually completed the game development, which was published in 2003 by Ignition.
During the following years, the studio developed several games for various platforms (the studio has PC, MAC, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Wii, XBOX360 and PS3 development experience), until being chosen by publisher THQ to create the video game adaptation of Pixar Animation Studios Oscar-winning motion picture Ratatouille.
Thus Asobo started increasing its growth speed, recruiting about 20% new employees a year, leading to two separate production lines.
During the 2008 Games Convention, the video game publisher Codemasters announced Fuel, a brand new racing game developed by Asobo Studio. Fuel was released in 2009 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and the PC.
- Super Farm - Ignition, PS2 (2003)
- Sitting Ducks - LSP, PS2/PC (2004)
- The Mummy - HIP Interactive, PS2/PC (2004)
- CT Special Forces - HIP Interactive, PS2/Xbox/PC (2005)
- Garfield 2 - Game Factory, PS2/PC (2006)
- Ratatouille - THQ, PC/Mac/PS2/Wii/Xbox/Gamecube (2007)
- WALL•E - THQ, PC/Mac/PS2 (2008)
- Fuel - Codemasters, PC/Xbox360/PS3 (2009)
- Up - THQ, PC/PS2/PSP (2009)
- Toy Story 3: The Video Game - Disney Interactive Studios, PSP (2010)
- Annie Award 2008 Best Animated Video Game for Ratatouille
- Gamespot Most Surprisingly Good Game Special Achievement 2008 for WALL•E PS2 (nominee)
- Gamespot Better Use of a Creative License Special Achievement 2008 for WALL•E PS2 (nominee)
- French Video Game Festival Milthon of Best consoles video game for WALL•E PS2 (nominee)
- Guinness World Records. Award for largest playable area in a console game for Fuel (video game).
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/Annie_Awards/2008
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/walle/video/6202626/best-of-2008-special-achievements
- ↑ http://www.afjv.com/press0808/080828_selection_prix_festival_jeu_video.htm
- ↑ http://kotaku.com/5265942/fuel-is-the-biggest-console-game-ever