Bards often serve as negotiators, messengers, scouts, and spies. They love to accompany heroes (and villains) to witness heroic (or villainous) deeds firsthand, since a bard who can tell a story from personal experience earns renown among his fellows. A bard casts arcane spells without any advance preparation, much like a sorcerer. Bards also share some specialized skills with rogues, and their knowledge of item lore is nearly unmatched. A high Charisma score allows a bard to cast high-level spells.
- • Alignment Restrictions: Any nonlawful.
- • Hit Die: d6.
- • Proficiencies: Simple weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields.
- • Skills Points (*4 at 1st level): 4 + Int Modifier.
- • Spellcasting: Arcane (Charisma-based, no spell preparation, spell failure from armor is a factor). Bards begin the game knowing all cantrips.
- • Ex-Bards: Bards cannot gain levels of experience while they are of any lawful alignment.