Blaze and Blade: Eternal Quest is a multiplayer action roleplaying game developed by T&E Soft for the PlayStation and PC. It's the first in the series (the other being Blaze & Blade Busters, which uses the same engine), and the only one released outside Japan. Although the game has received mostly negative feedback (especially the Windows version) for its lack of storyline, the PlayStation version presents some unique elements for the average RPG: the lack of a main hero, multiplayer capabilities (both MultiTap and Cable Link supported), ability to enter different areas in no particular order, item identification, and a complete character creation (stats roll, class, sex, and even 4 sets of colors)
The storyline of Blaze and Blade is very basic. Adventurers come across an ancient lithograph during their travels, supposedly very valuable, and desire to verify the authenticity of this artifact. To do so, the adventurers dive into more dungeons to collect magical gems which in legend fit into the inset of the lithograph. The lithograph united with these magical gems is said to impart great power to the wielders of this artifact, and if the adventurers do receive great power due to reuniting these treasures it will serve as proof to them that they have found the legendary artifact of lore.
The gameplay is your typical action RPG style. The game is also multitap compatible allowing up to 4 players to group together. There is big element of puzzle solving like any other action RPG, there is also an Object utility mode which allows players to buy and sell items they have found on their journeys with each other. The game has 8 type of characters which can be chosen from, all of which can be male or female.
- Warriors- Standard character who uses swords and shield.
- Elves- Can use rapiers but no shields, they also can use up to level 4 wizard spells.
- Wizards- One of the 3 magic users in this game, most of the attacks deal damage to the enemy. Can acquire more magic than elves. Uses Staves.
- Priests- Deal with Healing/resurrection and curing ailments and have some minor magic spells. Uses Maces.
- Hunters- Hunters can use herbs and find hidden areas on maps. They can only use bows.
- Rogues- Rogues use daggers and can run faster than any other class.
- Dwarves- Dwarves can smash through certain weak walls and floors, they use axes and shield in battle.
- Fairies- Fairies use status-inflicting magic, such as poison, sleep and paralyze. Later on they can acquire magic spells that deal damage. Use Wands.
Combat in Blaze and Blade is pretty standard, it consists of skills, attack (Square Button), jump (X Button) and using items. There is also a very complicated and possibly useful function that allows you to dual hit enemies with more than one spell. You can also zoom in/out and tilt the screen on the map for easy navigation. If there is more than one player playing, whoever is party leader has the controls(this can be changed however in the player information screen).
- Hunter- Uses a variety of herbs. These herbs the effects of: recovering HP, recovering mana, or curing poison, drain, paralysis, slow, or confusion.
- Warrior/Dwarf- Uses his shield to block physical attacks, which also has a small chance to protect against magic.
- Elves/Wizard/Priest/Fairy- Uses selected magic (to select a magic open inventory screen and scroll across to magic book).
- Rogue- Sprints, double speed of any other class.
- Blaze&Blade.com Blaze & Blade website