Almost every school competing in Division I NCAA college basketball at the time was included in 2K8, including then recent D-1 additions South Carolina-Upstate, Cal State-Bakersfield and Florida Gulf Coast. Not included were Presbyterian College and North Carolina Central, D-1 independents. Also, Centenary College of the Summit League was unlicensed and instead named UL-Calcutta. The game also featured the ability to change and modify rosters and share them online via the newly introduced 2K Share feature. The real coaches feature was dropped from this game, possibly because the coaches chose not to renew their contracts and all of the coaches are unnamed.
The announcers/commentators featured in the game were Verne Lundquist and Bill Raftery. College Hoops 2K8 is widely considered to be the greatest basketball game of all time by players and many, many video game critics. That is debatable, as new improvements have been made to 2K Sports' Iso Motion, which is currently incorporated in the NBA 2K series. The College Hoops series was put on hiatus in 2008 as 2K Sports declined to seek the college license for a 2K9 release. EA Sports got the contract before 2K did, so EA will continue to make college basketball games. It is currently unknown if 2K Sports will continue to make their College Hoops 2K series.
- Legacy Mode-Open and Career modes
- Tournament Mode
- Create-a-Team mode
- Quick game mode (Play now)
- Manage Rosters
- Game Sliders (Optionable)
- Customize Rosters
- Improved and enhanced gameplay
- New graphics
In this type of campaign, the user has the option of going with Open Legacy or Career Legacy . In Career Legacy, the user can choose from lowly rated basketball programs and bring them into the national spotlight. In Open Legacy, the user can choose any school and begin their legacy. Taking place in the Legacy Mode and setting College Hoops 2k8 from other basketball games is the ability to track and recruit prospects from their freshman year in high school.
It received very Positive reviews from critics and gamers alike. The game is widely considered the greatest basketball video game of all time, and is still played by many today.
Reviews and Scores:
- It received an "Impressive" 8.2/10 on IGN.com
- It received a "Great" 8.0/10 on GameSpot.com
Due to EA canceling a 2011 college basketball release, rumor has it that 2k may be able to produce a 2k11 game.
- Arabian Prince - "Professor X Saga"
- ARIV feat Page - "Weatherman"
- Bumblebeez - "Black Dirt"
- Deltron 3030 - "Positive Contact"
- Dilated Peoples - "Spit It Clearly"
- E Reece - "Just Move" (Bautista Remix)
- Guilty Simpson - "Make It Fast"
- Heliocentrics - "Joyride"
- Hot Chip - "My Piano" (Radio mix)
- J Dilla & MF Doom (feat. Guilty Simpson) - "MASH"
- James Pants - "You're Doing It"
- Jurassic 5 - "Red Hot"
- Liars - "Plaster Casts of Everything"
- Oh No - "Chump"
- Panthers - "Goblin City"
- Percee P - "Legendary Lyricist"
- DJ Romanowski - "Lord Of The Pants" (2-Cents Remix)
- Ski Beats - "Idea"
- Strange Fruit Project - "Underclassmen"
- Strange Fruit Project - "Through The Lane"
- The Black Lips - "It Feels Alright"
- The Kooks - "Eddie's Gun"
|This Basketball-related article is a stub. You can help by adding to it.|
Stubs are articles that writers have begun work on, but are not yet complete enough to be considered finished articles.