The goal in Crazy Machines 2 is to solve a seemingly simple problem (cook a hot dog, pop a balloon) by constructing a Heath Robinson / Rube Goldberg-esque machine. The 3D game relies heavily on in-game physics and utilises NVidia PhysX. For any given puzzle, the player is provided with a collection of items e.g. ramps, springs, steam engines, electrical devices, gears, belts, and a large selection of other mechanical devices for converting and directing raw energy into useful motion. On the completion of each puzzle the player is rewarded by points and a gold, silver, or bronze lug nut. Not only does the created machine have to perform the assigned primary task, but might also complete one or more of the optional secondary tasks thus earning more points.
The reception of Crazy Machines 2 was generally favourable. GameZone were impressed by the number of puzzles saying "Now the game has like 200 puzzles to complete, which is an a astonishing number" and that the game was "Easy to use, forward thinking and inventive" being "really a delight to play". IGN were less keen, rating the game "Passable" and saying "the core gameplay mechanics are solid" but "Crazy Machines 2 is at times poorly constructed".
Game Chronicles was very positive scoring the game 93% and saying "Puzzle games just do not get any better than this" and described the game "Crazy Machines 2 is exactly like the game Mouse Trap only on your computer and let loose with such imagination and inventive creation as you could possibly imagine."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 David, Mike (June 27, 2008). Crazy Machines 2 Review - GameZone 1. GameZone. Retrieved on 2008-07-08.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Thang, Jimmy. Crazy Machines 2 Review - IGN 2. IGN. Retrieved on 2008-07-08.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Gedgaud, Jeff (July 7, 2008). Crazy Machines 2 Review – Game Chronicles 1. Game Chronicles. Retrieved on 2008-07-08.
- ↑ Crazy Machines 2 Review – Metacritic 1. Metacritic (June 27, 2008). Retrieved on 2008-07-08.
- ↑ Crazy Machines 2 Review – Gaming Nexus 1. Gaming Nexus (June 27, 2008). Retrieved on 2008-07-08.