|Developer(s)||Capcom Production Studio 1|
|Release date|| August 8, 2006 (NA)|
September 8, 2006 (EU)
September 14,2006 (AU)
September 28, 2006 (JP)
|Age rating(s)||ESRB: M|
|Credits | Soundtrack | Codes | Walkthrough|
Dead Rising is a game developed by Capcom Production Studio 1 and published by Capcom.
This game follows Frank West, a photojournalist who is trapped in a shopping mall that is overrun with zombies over the course of three days. On September 19, a helicopter carries Frank West into the town of Williamette, Colorado. The helicopter's pilot, Ed DeLuca, tells him that there's nothing remarkable about Williamette aside from its new megamall, but Frank has gotten a tip that something big is happening in the city. Since it's under military quarantine and there's what seems to be riots in the streets, Frank's tip seems to be correct.
Frank has the pilot drop him on the roof of the Williamette Parkview Mall, where he meets a strange man (Carlito) who tells him the town has become "hell." Inside.
Frank then decides to investigate further into the mall, and he comes across a group of survivors holding out in the centre of the mall, behind a barricade while a panicked old women restlessly searches for her dog. A survivor informs Frank that what he thinks are rioting people- are in fact zombies. He orders Frank to search for items that can be used for the barricade instead of eyeing girls up, he also encounters an aggressive old man who thinks Frank has summoned him to this location. Meanwhile the old women discovers her dog outside surrounded by zombies and attempts to rescue it, but fails letting thousands upon thousands of zombies into the mall. Suddenly a survivor named Brad shouts for the survivors to get to the stairs. Frank makes it- but unfortunately the other survivors are massacred. (Glitch- Even if you save a survivor by picking them up and going upstairs with them, the survivor list labels them as dead.)
He then encounters two survivors Brad Garrison and Jessia Mcarney who are very secretive about there intentions at the mall, then Brad states that they can use the airducks to get back into the mall as it would be suicide to go through the door to the centre of the mall and zombies are too compartmentilized (dumb) to use the airducks. Frank asks why he would want to go back into the mall, but Brad doesn't reply.
When the player is about to enter the mall, Frank hears footsteps and assumes its a zombie approaching and grabs the fire extinguisher, and is about to attack when he realizes just in time it's Jessica. She tells him that Brad is in dangerous touble at the food court and was relocating there to assist him, however her leg is hurt badly from the fall. Frank then offers to assist Brad as a form of repayment and asks for Jessica's handgun. She eventually accepts his offer.
When the player arrives Brad is pinned down by Carlito's fire and the player is tasked to outflank Carlito, after defeating Carlito he retreats. Brad says that he and Jessica are part of homeland security, they were tasked to apprehened Dr. Russell Barnaby who has some kind of involvement in the outbreak.
The player has a series of gun battles with Carlito one of which he attempts to kill Dr. Barnaby, and results with Brad getting woundered and the player having to retrieve some piankillers, etc. This results in a battle with a psycopath shop owner, where when defeated Frank discovers that the shop owner kidnapped a beautiful women (later to be known as Isabella Keyes). She confuses the player by saying he knows northing of the Cebeza incident. She is encountered a second time outside the food store on a motor bike and (yet again) another battle. When she is defeated Frank tries to negotiate with her, where his attempts initiailly fail, and Isabella gives Frank a nasty kick in the groin. However she surrenders soon after, telling Frank that she doesn't know if Carlito will meet him, they come to a truce and arrange a meeting place in the north plaza. When she arrive a zombie is in hot pursuit of her dragging her to the floor, then it tries infecting her by contact of an open wound- if the player does save her she is already wounded by a bullet from Carlito's gun, she claims it was an accident. The player then has to escort her to the safety of the security room.
At the time Dr. Russell Barnaby still claims that the outbreak is due to a drug trade- however Isabella informs them that the drug trade is a cruel government cover-up, she knows this because she helped initially. Their conversation is then interruptted by Jessica screaming while thundering through the door, with Dr. Barnaby showning extreme signs of zombification. He decides to confess to his crimes and explains they were genetically altering sheep for mass-producing, however, Dr. Barnaby and his team went off course and started altering wasp's. Which introduced a new species of wasplike creatures which reproduced by injecting hosts with larva-like creatures, although, it comes with a horrfic twist. When the larva begin to grow inside the host bloodsteam it slowly lowers there senses and intelligence by moving up to there brainstem taking their ability to reason and hunts on the most basic of survialism by feeding on human flesh. One queen wasp-like creature escaped the research laboratory and massacred the town, then the army intervened, killing anything that moved. After the event the government in fear of panic and losing trust covered it up with a perfect terrorist drug story. Dr. Barnaby collapses and under goes zombification, just as the player is about to be attacked by Dr. Barnaby- Brad shoots him in the head killing the larva and the host.
The outbreak at the mall was only the beginning and as a last result Carlito has spread five bombs throughout the mall and upon their detonation they will spread queen larva throughout the atmosphere which would make a worldwide pandemic a high possibility. This is the most critical part of the game as the bay is absolutely full of zombies and Carlito is always on your back. Eventually when the player disarms the bombs, Brad, while fending off Carlito is fatally wounded in combat. In the end Carlito kicks Brad into the tunnels and leaves him for the dead. When the player arrives- he is too late, for Brad is massivily wounded, and worse yet he can function with half his organs hanging out of his torso. Unfortunately Brad suffers a fate worse than death, zombifiction. There is northing the player can do except watch Brad slowly degrade into a mindless killing machine. Before he turns he requests Frank not to inform Jessica about his fate and to kill him as he doesn't want to be a walking corpse- however it's entirely up to the player if he kills Brad-bie.
Shortly after Isabella suggests that they take a trip to Carlitos hideout located in the North plaza, but she needs the player to defend her from the oncoming hordes of zombies. As soon as they arrive at the destination it's clear how Carlito was able to stay out of the monitoring; with special entrances, water, intercom and a laptop. Isabella attempt's to hack Carlitos laptop. However it is password protected and she struggles to activate it, and Frank leaves Isabella to her work.
Jessica keeps watch on the monitors for Carlito to appear, while Frank re-enters the mall and does errands such as; killing zombies, psycopaths etc., Jessica however starts to appear a bit nervous about something. Carlito appears on the monitors and is being brutally dragged off by what seems to be a huge butcher. When Frank arrives at the meat processing room the Butcher says that his consumers deserve the best quality meat and that rotten zombie flesh isn't good enough. Although Frank is intimidated by the Butcers extreme size, he realizes that he needs Carlito to tie up all the loose ends and another Psycopath battle happens. Upon the Butchers defeat Frank stops the grinding machine and releases Carlito. Carlito explains that he was extremely angry about the Carbeza incident and only wanted revenge- but his bloodlust was nothing compared to his love for his sister and to give his locket to his sister. One of his most effective lines in the story was "arn't zombies great, all they do is eat and breed like you red and blue americans". With everything mostly explained, Carlito takes his last breath and dies. When Frank returns he gives Isabella the locket as Carlito asked. After a few tearful, heartfelt seconds Isabella figures out the password and hacks the computer. Soon after Jessica calls Frank and tells him that help is not coming and that the military is being sent in to "clean" the place up. Later the military shows up and some soldiers are seen talking to Jessica about evac. One of the guards then leaves. Jessica soon turns around and attacks the guard still in the room and rips out his throat, proving that she had become infected when attacked by Dr. Barnaby.
The game takes place in the Williamette Parkview Megamall over the course of three days. Frank must survive those three days to complete the game. The game itself lasts for six hours (2 real-time hours= 1 in-game day).
Frank can't survive the zombies with just his fists and a bunch of great wrestling moves. As it says on the box, "Anything and EVERYTHING is a weapon. Some can be found by killing zombies or taking them from stores. Others are a little harder to get. You may have to do a little searching of kill a psychopath or two to get them. You can also chose to ignore the storyline completely if you wish and spend the time leveling up, sampling food (one thing you may notice is that Frank DRINKS bread), trying on clothes, getting achievements, the list goes on.
There are three gameplay modes:
- 72 Hour mode- The standard mode of play, in which Frank has three days to solve the mystery of the zombie outbreak.
- Overtime mode- This is an extra 24 hours added on to 72 hour mode. This is unlocked by getting ending A (completing the main storyline completely and returning to the helipad by noon on day three).
- Infinity mode- This is unlocked after completing Overtime mode and saving. In this mode, EVERYBODY (INCLUDING SURVIVORS) is an enemy. Also in this mode, Frank can die of hunger, losing a square of health every 100 seconds. There is a limited supply of food, so you have to compete for it with everyone else. When you kill a survivor (or psychopath) they drop a cardboard box, filled with food, weapons, and character-related items. Think carefully about what your next move will be...
- A piece of Wood normally used in construction. You find it in generally any area. It's most commonly found in the North Plaza. It is a bit slow but it quite powerful. It breaks after a medium amount of damage has been done.
- Baseball Bat
- Instantly recognisable as one of the classic zombie weapons, the baseball bat is effective. Frank swings it horizontally, attacking multiple foes at once. However, the bat breaks comparatively quickly. It is also possible to charge up the attack for a home-run swing. Found in most sporting goods stores.
- The bench is an excellent ramming weapon. Frank West picks up the bench by the end and charges towards the enemy like a battering ram, knocking over a large number of enemies and causing moderate damage. Also great for barracades.
- Bowling ball
- This weapon can be used to smash the zombies skulls open. When thrown Frank West tosses it as though he was bowling, instantly throwing aside zombies,this weapon can be found in many sporting goods shops, there is also an achievement for knocking ten zombies aside with one throw
- These can be used in 3 ways: hit zombies with it, throw it at zombies, OR you can shove it onto a zombies head. Remember: If the zombie can't see you, it can't kill you! Servbot heads work the same way. Found in hardware stores and sometimes in the North Plaza.
- Used like the gems with same effect (see below). The difference is that you can not attack multiple enemies with one shot.
- Ceremonial Sword (Cultist Leader)
- This sword is basically the katana only better. It is unlocked after defeating the Cultist Leader (to do this you must first rescue Jennifer from being "cleansed" by the cultists) in Movieland theater #4 or #5. This sword is stronger than the katana, has better reach, and will last longer before it craps out. Spawns in the same theater that you defeat the Cultist in. It appears to be a Scottish Claymore.
- Usually found in hardware stores, the chainsaw is petrol driven, so has to be switched on to do the terrible damage it is capable of. It takes a fair amount of time for the Petrol gas supply to run dry. There are two attacks with the chainsaw, a quick swing or a brutal spin, you gain PP for every enemy you kill with the spin attack. However, it is not necessary to swing it around; You can just run around without attacking and any zombie in your way will take damage.
- Cash Register
- Found in almost every store, the cash register is quite common and very useful when a baseball bat or 2x4 is not within reach. Kills zombies in around two hits but will almost always break on impact if thrown. Has two basic attacks:vertically slamming into zombie (tap X button once) and following the slamming attack two horizontal swings (press X three times).
- Small Chainsaws (Adam the Clown)
- If Adam the Clown disappointed his family with his choice of career, he didn't disappoint us with his choice of weaponry. His mini chainsaws do maximum damage against other psychopaths and slice limbs like butter. It is like a chainsaw except it is much smaller and is just as strong. It also lasts longer. This item is respawnable in the same area. This item is one of the only ones that can be strengthened three times as much (When picking up three types of magazines. They are the Entertainment magazine, the Engineering Magazine, and the Criminal Biography Magazine. With these three in effect the player can kill over 3,000 zombies).
- It is used very similarly to the Bowling Ball. The difference is that you cannot throw it like a bowling ball. Found in the Fitness Area in the Al Fresca Plaza. The Dumbbell can also be found in the Al'Fresca Plaza fountain, along with the Submachine Gun.
- The Excavator is similar to the chainsaw in that it is a two handed weapon. When used Frank stabs it into the nearest thing around. The Zombie starts spinning and with that Frank is able to hit other enemies with the zombie that is spinning around on the Excavator's shaft. Found in the North Plaza.
- Fire Axe
- The Fire axe is a quick, one-hit kill weapon found in Crislip's Home Saloon. (North Plaza). And found in infinite mode by killing the sniper rifle family in the park.
- Frying Pan
- The frying pan is used to club enemies. Frank is a wizard in the kitchen, whipping up delicious smoothies with ease. When zombies get too close, however, Frank likes to grab a frying pan for a decent, face-smashing melee weapon. Also, put it on the stove (+ 500 PP), heat it up, and use it to melt off zombie face for a one-hit kill (+ 2000 PP). If you don't want to melt zombie face, heating the pan will still do more damage than a cool one.
- Found in jewelry stores and can be thrown with high power. It is almost impossible to kill a zombie with gems before you reach level 35 (or so) but their are still fun to throw. Smash the glass, snatch and run.
- Golf Club or Hockey Stick
- The golf club comes with some golf balls. Frank hits one, and a golf ball hits a targeted foe. The attacks can be powered up by depressing the attack button. This can be found in the sporting stores. The Hockey Stick works the same way but with hockey pucks.
- This instrument makes for a kill that is music to your ears. There are two kinds of guitars in the game: acoustic and electric. However, there is no difference between the two combatwise. Swing it around, swing it again, and then smash it to the ground for a devastating blow! Can be found in music stores (Try Tunemasters).
- Gumball Machine
- It's the candy that makes this weapon so hilarious. It works just like any other heavy object in Dead Rising, but it's filled with happy colored gumballs to add that extra bit of humiliation you need to bestow upon your zombie victims. When thrown and smashed the gumballs will make the poor zombies lose their balance and fall over (and over and over). This makes it a great weapon if you want to escape or if you want a hilarious picture (extra PP).
- Battle Axe
- This weapon is found in the antiques shop behind the glass. It is very powerful and kills zombies as easily as the Katana. It is slow but has a very large range for killing multiple Zombies in less swings. It breaks after mild usage.
- This is the players only infinite weapon in dead rising, although at level one these attacks are extremely weak and only good for keeping zombies back. However as the player raises levels Frank can karate chop, disembowel, football tackle etc. to his enemies. These moves will be very important in the game.
- Hunk of Meat (Hand) and coat hanger
- When you see a zombie eating a hand (called "hunk of meat" in the game), kick him and pick it up as he drops it. Now you can jam it into his mouth and prevent him from biting you. It is a VERY weak weapon but fun to watch. The coat hanger can be found in some stores and can be uses in the same way as the bloody hand.
- The Handgun is the first firearm you get in the game (That's if the player missed getting the shotgun in the beginning of the game). It doesn't have much stopping power and has 30 shots. It is useful for taking out single Zombies or Early bosses. It is found in many places. They can be found in the "Huntin Shack", in Garbage Cans, and all of the police zombies carry guns which they drop if attacked (Although it is not necessary to kill them. You only have to hit them, or bump into them). It appears to be either Colt 45. M1911 or an AMT Hardballer.
- Hedge Clippers
- The hedge clippers are found in the hardware stores in both Al'Fresca and North Plaza. The hedge clippers are a one-hit kill weapon but aren't very durable and can only really attack one enemy at a time. Although you can hold the attack button to get extra PP (30) for killing zombies, however this takes longer.
- Hunting Knife
- The Hunting Knife is used with highly effective swipes. The weapon is effective, but with short 'killing distance', leaving Frank prone to being surrounded. These are common items found easily in every area. They are most commonly found in the hands of yellow Trench Coat zombies (Formerly Cultists) or on the living members of same.
- This weapon is found in the "Paradise" Plaza or in the Antiques shop. An unlimited supply of Katana, along with the Broadsword, can also found in Ripper's Blades in the North Plaza next to the supermarket. For the "Paradise" plaza, you find it by jumping off the ledge near the Orange Juice stand in the Food Court of the Plaza (Columbian Roastmasters). It is a very quick and effective weapon. It breaks quickly, with only 20 uses before it's destroyed. It is one of the best weapons to use against the Soldiers at the later part of the game. Can be enhanced with the Criminal book.
- Lawn Mower
- Grab this lawn utility out in the courtyard and go to town. Zombies are slow and stupid enough to just stand around while you mow them to a bloody pulp. As a bonus, you're adding some fertilizer to the grass to make sure it grows tall and green. Now you can save yourself and the environment.
- Lead pipe
- The lead pipe is fairly slow but deadly. It kills in one blow and is therefor very similar to the 2x4. When you throw the lead pipe at an enemy it may impale into them which yields a small amount of PP.
- Toy "lightsaber"
- This "weapon" works the same way as you'd expect it to. Not the best choice of weaponry, but it gives of a bright red glow. This is great at night because it gives you better range of sight and it only needs to be in your inventory to give light. So you can have light AND the chainsaw. Found in most kids stores.
- The machete is a fairly durable and deadly weapon. It's a one-hit kill weapon similar to the katana. You obtain this weapon after killing Cliff in Cirslip's Home Saloon and respawns in the same area afterwards.
- Toy Mega Buster
- The Mega Buster is a toy that is found at Movie Land. It shoots out small yellow balls, has 30 shots, and is a weak weapon. It is a toy version of MegaMan's Mega Buster (Which is an unlockable weapon. See Below).
- Real Mega Buster
- The Real Mega Buster is the most powerful gun in the game. It is unlocked after doing the "Zombie Genocider" Achievement (Where you must kill Willamette's populace of 53,594 Zombies), beating the game, and saving. It is found in the same room as all the other unlockable clothing and items are, lying on the ground. It can easily take care of bosses and enemies. It has great range (1 shot can travel about as far as a full length of Leisure Park), 300 shots, and every time the player runs out of bullets it respawns in the same area. It can kill enemies in one hit and psychopaths in 5 to 10.
- This weapon is obtianed by beating Isabella boss battle in act 5, it is the only engine vehicle to be discovered in the mall zombies don't stand a chance against it. But it breaks alot more easier than a Van or Car of the game, but is more agile, although it's agility is limited by the tight areas. And zombies can't knock you off.
- Molotov Cocktails
- The crude, but useful homemade fire bombs are obtained after managing to save Paul after you defeat him (if you choose to save him by putting out his flaming pants) as a gift for doing so.
- Nail Gun
- The Nail Gun is found in construction areas around North Plaza as well as Crislip's Home Saloon. The Nail Gun holds 50 Nails and does little damage compared to the Handgun.
- The parasol is used similar to a shopping cart (see below) for clearing crowds. The parasol however does not damage enemies.
- Push Broom
- The push broom works as two different weapons; the full broom is a rather slow weapon as Frank must charge up and slam the broom into a zombie forcing it to the ground, after about three attacks the broom head head breaks off making it now just the broom stick and a much better weapon:it is now a lot quicker and a lot more effective as you can now quickly impale zombies with ease.as for locations you can find in bathrooms, behind the counters in some stores and Movieland.
- Potted Plants
- The potted plants can be found all kinds of places around the mall so you won't have to really have to look for them. There are three sizes of them in the game: small:not much to say here you pick them up smash it on a zombies head or you can throw it whichever suits you. Medium:almost exactly the same as small only larger. Large:probably the weakest and most useless of them all, you can't just walk up and smash it the heads of a zombie instead you use the plant part to whack the zombie and do little damage.the only way it can kill is if it is thrown but it doesn't really kill even then so yeah not the best choice of weaponry in the game...
- Shopping Cart & Weapon Cart
- The shopping carts can be found just about anywhere in the mall, to use one simply press X while looking in the direction you wish to go. After killing Steven in Seon's Food and Stuff (North Plaza) you may use the Weapon Cart. The Weapon Cart works in the same way as the normal shopping cart except for the fact that it kills enemies when you hit them rather than just knock them out of the way.
- When you first see the showerhead on the ground, you may pass it up for a lead pipe or a baseball bat. You'd be missing out on one of the greatest death animations in the game. Slam this baby onto a zombie's noggin and watch the blood spout out. You can also get a picture of it for some extra PP. Try the warehouse first.
- The Shotgun is a powerful gun as most would know it. When it shoots it can take out several enemies because of it's range. But as it is powerful at close range, it is considerably weaker if shooting at enemies from afar. The Shotgun is one of the best guns to have around as it can take out many zombies easily making it useful in escaping or clearing a path. They can be found at the "Huntin' Shack" in the North Plaza (at limited supply though). It can also be found at the start of the game in the middle of a large group of zombies eating from one of the corpses near the center of the Entrance Plaza, just after the mall gets overrun and the mission is to to get up the stairs to safety. It appears to be a standard Civilian/Police Issue Shotgun, probably a Mossberg 590 or Remington 870.
- As it turns out, the Grim Reaper's tool is great for use against the undead as well as the living. No self-respecting zombie killer would go without this long reaching weapon. Grab a zombie by the head and pull them in for the kill or just swing it around and take off some legs. Both of these moves will reap you 100 PP.
- I know what your thinking "sweet time shred all over them zombies!" well sadly the skateboard is weak. You take it, you ride it, you hit a few zombies it breaks, though it is surprisingly useful in the second fight with Carlito. Try Paradise Plaza first.
- Make a horizontal swing by holding the attack key or make a powerful skullcracking vertical smash. If used right the sledge hammer is extremely deadly but can take a while to master. Found in hardware stores, on top the warehouse shelves and (if you are lucky) in the kiosk in movieland. Try McHandy's Hardware shop.
- Sniper Rifle
- The Sniper Rifle is a useful weapon for taking out bosses. Like most Sniper Rifles the gun is good at long distances. Although the gun is preferred for bosses rather than Zombies. The reason being that zombies are quite easy to kill with any weapon, whereas the Sniper Rifle only shoots one bullet at a time. It is not useful for clearing crowds of zombies thus it is often best to save the snipers for the bosses that need many strong hits to take down. It appears to be a Remington Model 700 w/a Bushnel Optic. Max of 30 bullets.
- Soccer Ball
- This doesn't really seem like the best choice of weapons, but there is a bright side. Pick it up, kick it at some zombies, and watch them scatter! A well placed kick will send the ball towards numerous other zombies in the area. Great when you need to clear a path from afar. Can be found on the roof and in most sporting goods stores.
- Yes you read right. Saliva (or spit) can be used by going into aiming mode when Frank is unarmed. He spits, the zombies get it in the face, they stop. But it doesn't do any damage WHATSOEVER. However, by making and drinking a "spitfire" smoothie, Frank's spit becomes deadly!
- Stun Gun
- Similar to Tasers. Frank can kill a zombie in a single zap, but the battery lasts for approximately 33 kills. Useful to give to survivors.
- Submachine Gun
- This weapon is rare to find, as it is placed in high and difficult to reach places. This weapon has a medium amount of power and kills easily. It has 100 bullets and is very fast. It appears to be a Mini-Uzi. Very useful against Adam the Clown if you don't have the Real Megabuster. (see above) Try the Al'Fresca Plaza fountain first, as it's easily reachable.
- TV (Both HD and Plasma)
- There is nothing special about the TV. It's a heavy, slow and deadly weapon.
- Assault Rifle
- Weapons used by the Special Forces that have been sent to clear out the mall. It contains 150 rounds and appears to be an LR300 or an FN SCAR. If you empty an entire magazine without missing a single shot, you'll get the "Perfect Gunner" achievement.
- Heavy Machine Gun
- This M2 Browning machine gun is mounted on the back of a Military Humvee, stolen by escaped Convicts. It is possible for Frank to pry the weapon from the vehicle's bulit-in tripod and use it himself, although it is so big it cannot be stored in the inventory and movement is restricted.
OJ & OJ=Nectar: Nectar attracts Queen Bees to Frank while in effect.
OJ & Coffee Creamer or Wine= Quickstep: Quickstep makes Frank run faster for a limited time.
OJ & Pie= Untouchable: Untouchable makes zombies stop lunging at you for a limited time. But you will still take damage from anything else.
Coffee Creamer & Pie= Zombait: Zombait, as the name suggests, is zombie bait. Drink it, and zombies will be lured to you. Useful for drawing attention away from survivors that need assistance.
Condiment & Condiment= Spitfire: Spitfire increase the damage of Frank's spit.
Wine= Restores a fair amount of health once consumed. There is a large supply of Wine in the mall, with much of it in the Supermarket.
- Dead Rising at GameFAQs
- Dead Rising at GameRankings
- "You've Got Some Red On You," a VGCats strip parodying Dead Rising
- "Oh Snap," another VGCats strip
- "That Empty Feeling," Yet another VGCats strip
- "Armadeaddon," the first in a series of Penny Arcade strips that parody Dead Rising
|This article is a stub. You can help by |
Stubs are articles that writers have begun work on, but are not yet complete enough to be considered finished articles.