Destroy All Humans! is a video game franchise developed by Pandemic Studios, Locomotive Games, Sandblast Games and published by THQ. The two main protagonists are voiced by J. Grant Albrect and Richard Steven Horvitz, with the exception of the game Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed, in which actors Sean Donnellan and Darryl Kurylo portray the characters. The musical score for the series is performed by composer Garry Schyman. The first two games are available for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox game consoles while Big Willy Unleashed is only available for the Wii. The third installment, Path of the Furon first appeared for Xbox 360 on December 1, 2008 (NA) and February 6, 2009 on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 (EU). All furons are named after viral or bacterial infections, or sometimes, the actual bacteria that cause the infections, such as Helicobacter, who is named after helicobacteria.
The games take place mostly on Earth where the Furon Cryptosporidium, also known as Crypto, is tasked by his superiors to gather Furon DNA locked inside human brain stems in order to save his race from cloning themselves into extinction. In the first game, Crypto's objectives also include investigating what happened to his previous clone. The second game features Crypto hunting for revenge, after the KGB try to assassinate him and successfully destroy the mothership and his mission officer, Orthopox, as well as exterminating the Furon enemy from the Martian War, the Blisk. A spin-off for the Wii involves Crypto protecting Pox's new fast food chain using a giant robot mech disguised as the restaurant's mascot, called "Big Willy". The third game is available on Xbox 360 (and PlayStation 3 only in Europe and Australia), and involves Crypto seeking enlightenment to help him stop a conspiracy that threatens the Furon empire. The first game takes place in 1957; the second game takes place in 1969; the Wii spin-off takes place between the times of the second and third games; and the third in 1979.
Throughout the games, Crypto has faced many enemy groups, organizations, and aliens alike trying to ruin his mission on Earth. The enemies and their leaders Crypto has faced are:
- Majestic 12 - Silhouette
- KGB/Blisk/Cosmonauts - Soviet Premier Milenkov
- M16 (Parody of MI6) - Reginald Ponsonby-Smythe
- Black Ninja - Black Ninja Leader
- White Ninja - White Ninja Leader
- West Yakuza - Yamanosuke Hirotaro
- East Yakuza - Kenji Mojo
- Kluckin's Kitchen/Crew - Kolonel Kluckin
- Militant Activist Anarchists - Patty Wurst
- Roller Blade Girls - Mindy Peters
- Mobsters - Vinnie Molinari
- Lunarian Thugs - Curt Calvin
- White Dragon Kung Fu Society - Saxon
- Francodyne Guards - Henri Crousteau
- Nexosporidium Warriors (better known as Nexos) - The Master/Emperor Meningitis/Henri Crousteau
- Komer Biege (a parody of the North Vietnamese army) - Trahn
- United States Army (They appear in every "Destroy All Humans!" game) - General Armquist, and Sergant Fauxhall
The cities Crypto has visited in the games are parodies of the cities in real life. The locations Crypto has invaded are:
- Turnipseed Farm (A North Georgia farm)
- Rockwell (a Midwestern town Rockwell, Iowa; Pox mistakes this for Roswell, New Mexico)
- Santa Modesta (A suburb of Santa Monica, California)
- Area 42 (a parody of Area 51)
- Union Town (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
- Capitol City (Washington D.C.)
- Bay City (San Francisco, California)
- Albion (London, England)
- Takoshima (Tokyo, Japan)
- Tunguska (Siberia)
- Solaris (A Soviet moon base)
- Harbor City (A New England city, Presumably Boston,Massachusetts)
- Fairfield (A rural Kentucky town)
- Fantasy Atoll (A parody of Fantasy Island)
- Vietmahl ( Intended to be Vietnam, but when shown in a close up of the map appears to be located in Cambodia )
- Las Paradiso (Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Sunnywood (Hollywood, California)
- Shen Long (Hong Kong, China)
- Belleville (Paris, France)
- 4th Ring of Furon (One of four settlements that orbit Furon, the Furons' home world. The Furons do consider the rings "cities", but none are the Furon capital, Gorta. The 4th Ring is a Furon Vacation/Leisure resort.)
Destroy All Humans! Crypto Does Vegas
- Las Paradiso
In 1957, Cryptosporidium 137 first arrived to Earth to investigate the planet and search for his predecessor clone, Cryptosporidium-136, who disappeared in 1947 after Orthopox 13 sent him to Earth on a similar mission. Pox sends Crypto on a mission to harvest human brain stems (which contain Furon DNA due to an encounter between Furon warriors and humans in ancient times) to prevent his species from going extinct. To accomplish his mission, he must defeat Majestic, a shadowy government organization led by a black-clad figure named Silhouette. After accomplishing this, Crypto takes over the United States by posing as the President.
10 years have gone by since Crypto defeated Majestic and took over the United States. Othropox 13 has died after a Russian nuclear missile destroyed the mothership, along with Gastro the janitor. Both Pox and Gastro downloaded their consciousnesses into personal holographic projectors designed to communicate between Furons on Motherships and planet surfaces. Pox's unit, dubbed a HoloPox, allows him to communicate with, advise, and vex Crypto down on Earth. Gastro's projector unit is fitted with a blaster as a means of offense. Later in the game, Gastro is unlocked and used as a weapon, and he will fight beside Crypto and offer him support. Crypto 137 has died of unknown causes, but appears in Big Willy Unleashed and Crypto 138, a clone with pure Furon DNA harvested from human brains, has taken his place as the President. Crypto 138 is the first Furon in millennia to possess genitalia, as his pure DNA has not been corrupted by radiation. When the KGB destroy the mothership and Pox, Crypto must find a way to stop them from destroying America. Along the way he fights Ninjas and the giant Takoshimese monster Kojira; meets Reginald Ponsonby-Smythe, the leader of the British Majestic and Silhouette's lover; and romances Natalya Ivanova, a rouge KGB agent whom he constantly hits on. He also comes across the Blisk, the dreaded enemy that the Furons thought they defeated in the Martian War.
Big Willy Unleashed takes place after Destroy All Humans! 2 and before Path of the Furon. Crypto and Pox start a fast food restaurant that serves human meat from all the people Crypto has killed harvesting more Furon DNA. Later, their rival restaurant, Colonel Kluckin' (a parody of Colonel Sanders), discovers their secret, whereupon Crypto must protect the restaurant with the Big Willy mascot mech.
Using the money earned from the Big Willy fast food franchise that Orthopox started, Pox and his destructive Furon warrior minion Crypto have opened a "family friendly" casino with which they use to obtain a steady financial income and human DNA. Crypto has lost his motivation because the death of Natalya, and has forgotten what it means to destroy humans. He drinks too much alcohol, watches too much television, and has ultimately become lazy. Later Crypto is attacked by mysterious cyborgs called Nexosporidium Warriors, who arrive from his own planet, which frightens both Crypto and his commander Pox. Soon Crypto finds himself face to face with a conspiracy from his own homeworld that, if not stopped, could destroy them all forever. In the midst of all the chaos, Crypto hears a voice in his head, telling him to go to the city of Shen Long. Later, Crypto, while in Sunnywood, is shot in the neck, faints, and then wakes up in a Kung Fu monastery where he is greeted by a Furon martial arts expert known as The Master. The Master beseeches him to submit to his tutelage, and train in mind and firepower, to help him defeat these new threats. Now Crypto is about to go down the path to enlightenment, and shape his own destiny, to ultimately be able to destroy all humans.
- Destroy All Humans! Crypto Does Vegas is a mobile phone version of Path of the Furon. In the game, Crypto must zap, vaporize, and probe tourists and gamblers to find the best DNA possible in the city, while DNA is disappearing from Pox's delivery to the homeworld. In the last two missions, players discover that the thieves are a clone army of "free" Cryptos. This game takes place in the year 1979 also.