DoubleBear Productions is an indie game studio founded in June 2009 by writer and game designer Brian Mitsoda. The studio intends to specialize in PC role playing games. Its first and current project is Dead State, a turn-based PC RPG set in a zombie apocalypse scenario. The studio is working with Iron Tower Studios on the project, and the game will be utilizing The Age of Decadence's game engine. Information regarding the theme and setting was divulged in a Rock, Paper, Shotgun article, including a quote from Mitsoda that reveals that one of the goals of the game is a "serious examination of a national crisis or natural disaster," and that the game draws inspiration from Mitsoda's own experiences living in Miami, Florida during Hurricane Andrew.
Regarding the studio's peculiar name, Mitsoda said:
|“||Annie and I were looking at a list of silly D&D monsters when I suggested the “DoubleBear” as the ultimate monster, pointing out that since it was two bears acting as one, there was no way to sneak up on it or attack it from the back. A picture was drawn and photos were taken. When it was time to name the company, it won the second it was suggested.||”|
- ↑ DoubleBear Productions. Blue's News (August 6, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-08-06
- ↑ Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines Writer Founds DoubleBear Productions. Cinemablend (August 6, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-08-06
- ↑ Kieron Gillen (August 25, 2010). A Blood Red State: Dead State Revealed. Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- ↑ ZRPG. Iron Tower Studio (August 6, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-08-05
- ↑ Brian Mitsoda Announces DoubleBear Productions. GameBanshee (August 5, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-08-05
- ↑ This Is Like That Thing Annie Carlson Is Working On. RPG Codex (August 5, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-08-05
- ↑ Kieron Gillen (August 7, 2009). Obsidian Veterans to Make Zombie RPG. Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved on 2009-08-07
- ↑ Ng, Keane (August 11, 2009). Designing a "Serious" Zombie RPG. The Escapist. Retrieved on 2009-08-11
- ↑ Evans, Chris (August 10, 2009). DoubleBear Productions on ZRPG and the Bears. The Reticule. Retrieved on 2009-08-10