|Please help improve this article by expanding it. Further information might be found on the talk page. (January 2007)|
Dragon Ball Z: Sagas is a 3D action-adventure video game developed by Avalanche Software and published by Atari, based on the anime Dragon Ball Z. It is the only Dragon Ball Z game to be released across all sixth generation consoles, the first Dragon Ball Z console game to be developed by a non-Japanese developer, and the first Dragon Ball Z game to be released on a non-Japanese console, the Xbox. It also ended up being the only Dragon Ball Z to be released on the Xbox, while the Japanese machines continued to get a steady stream of Dragon Ball related games, all of which are still made by Japanese developers.
Sagas has fighting-based gameplay with new abilities becoming available via upgrade. There are three basic fighting styles: Melee, Combo, and Ki. Melee attacks are often swift and leave the opponent temporarily stunned. Combo attacks are several consecutive punches or kicks to the opponent which may contain up to 10 hits. Ki attacks are energy blasts that rely on a rechargeable meter for power. The most powerful Ki blast is the "Special Move" found in the first level.
Levels and Sagas
There are about 19 levels in the game. These levels are split into sagas. The sagas, in order are: Saiyan saga, Namek saga, Frieza saga, Yardrat saga, Trunks saga, Android saga, and the Cell Games saga. In the levels of the game you must many quests, buy upgrades, and defeat enemies and bosses.
- Goku (The Arrival, Saiyans Duel, Ascended, RIT Armor, Cell Games)
- Vegeta (Saiyan Elite, RIT Armor, RIT Armor Variant)
- Gohan (Kid, Kid RIT Armor, Teen RIT Armor, Teen Namekian Uniform, Teen Cell Games, Future, Future with One Arm)
- Piccolo (Normal, With Cape)
- Future Trunks (No Jacket, Dark Jacket, Light Jacket, RIT Armor, RIT Armor Variant, Teen)
After completing the game, along with being able to play any level with any of the previous characters, the following characters are unlocked:
|GameRankings|| Xbox: 53.6% (14 reviews) |
GC: 50.2% (13 reviews) 
PS2: 48.8% (15 reviews) 
|Metacritic|| Xbox: 51% (11 reviews) |
PS2: 49% (13 reviews) 
GC: 48% (11 reviews) 
|GameSpot||3.8 / 10 |
|IGN||4.0 / 10 |
IGN gave the game 4 out of 10, claiming that, "In the end, Dragon Ball Z: Sagas fails in all departments. It's nowhere near as fun or functional as the Budokai games, and completely fails in taking the series into a new direction." The reviews were mainly a result of lack of gameplay. IGN also claims that "The lack of characters, sagas, and moves is what brings the game down. There is no reason why the very great Dragon Ball Z franchise should be taking a step backwards."
- ↑ Aggregate score for Xbox at Game Rankings.
- ↑ Aggregate score for GameCube at Game Rankings.
- ↑ Aggregate score for PlayStation 2 at Game Rankings.
- ↑ Aggregate score for Xbox at Metacritic.
- ↑ Aggregate score for PlayStation 2 at Metacritic.
- ↑ Aggregate score for GameCube at Metacritic.
- ↑ PlayStation 2 review at GameSpot.
- ↑ GameCube review at GameSpot.
- ↑ Xbox review at GameSpot.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 PlayStation 2 review at IGN.
- ↑ GameCube review at IGN.
- ↑ Xbox review at IGN.
- ↑ Review on X-Play.
- 'Dragon Ball Z: Sagas' at MobyGames
- Dragon Ball Androids All Dragon Ball Androids listed and profiled