Egosoft is a computer game developer founded in 1988 and based in Würselen, Germany. It become a commercial company in 1990. Its first products were for the Amiga, but it later became a PC game developer.
Egosoft is best known for its X game series, a series of space simulator games noted for combining open-ended gameplay, dynamic market-driven economics and compelling storyline. The series began in 1999 with X: Beyond the Frontier. Since then, the series has expanded with two sequels and two standalone expansions; the latest being X3: Terran Conflict in 2008.
Egosoft has released the following products:
- Hotel Detective (1988) for the Amiga, published by Euroline software.
- Fatal Heritage (1990) for the Amiga, published by FunSoft and Softgold.
- UGH (1992) for the Amiga, Published by Playbyte and Bluebyte.
- Flies Attack on Earth (1993) for Amiga and PC (MS-DOS).
- Imperium Romanum (1996) for MS-DOS.
- X Series
Several of the X series have been released multiple times in special bundle packs or when a major update to the game was released. Notable releases include:
- X-Gold (2000), which features X: Beyond the Frontier and X-Tension
- X3: Reunion 2.0 (2006), featuring the Bala Gi Research Missions
- X3: Terran Conflict 2.0 (2009), featuring the Aldrin Expansion Missions
- X3-Gold (2009), which features X3: Reunion 2.5 and X3: Terran Conflict 2.0
- X-Superbox (2010), featuring all 5 X-Series games
In 2000, Egosoft planned a multiplayer Online game called Online Universe or X Online. This project was intended to be "the next step in the evolution of Egosoft's X universe." Egosoft has since released a number of games, yet has given little indication of the progress of this project. In 2003 Egosoft staff were working on a later version - codenamed X2OL - which Egosoft Director Bernd Lehahn described as "our long term goal." There is still no official information on the Online Universe, though there has been speculation that X2 and X3's 2007 uplink feature may be a positive spin-off of the project. In Q4 of 2009 Egosoft announces that they will no longer release any further X-Series games. They instead have announced the workings of an entirely new "Space Sim" game and the name still remains unknown at this time.
Egosoft has attracted a community of over 350,000 members on their website's forum. Egosoft regularly uses this to provide news, updates and bonus game-related material to its members.
Within the X-Community exist:
- an X-Universe forum, in which members may ask questions, make comments, and share stories or advice about anything related to the X-Universe. Members often use this forum to share guides, maps, tactics, hints, and to discuss possible future developments.
- a Technical Support forum, where members can find on-line assistance for technical problems.
- a Scripting and Modding forum, where members can develop and share game modifications.
- a Creative Universe forum, for X-inspired fan-works such as graphic-art, fan-fiction, desktop-wallpapers, music, and video.
- an Off-Topic forum, for discussion unrelated to the X-Universe.
The community also includes a Developer Network - DevNet - which members may be able to join. However, access to these pages is restricted, and DevNet members are bound by a strict Non-disclosure agreement.
- ↑ Michael Madden (2006-08-26). Egosoft FAQ. Egosoft X-News. Egosoft. Retrieved on 2009-04-25.
- ↑ Josh Venning (2006-01-25). X3 Reunion: New Rolling Demo Tested. AnandTech. AnandTech. Retrieved on 2008-02-11.
- ↑ Wrentmore, John (2003-12-12). "X2 - The Threat Review". GameZone (GameZone Online). http://pc.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r19207.htm. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- ↑ Reed, Kristan (2005-11-06). "X3: Reunion". EuroGamer (Eurogamer Network Ltd). http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61555. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- ↑ ONLINE-UNIVERSE. Online Universe (Official Page). Retrieved on 2008-02-11.
- ↑ Stokky (2003-05-10). Interview: X2 - The Threat. playfuls.com. Retrieved on 2008-02-11.
- ↑ Presley, Paul (2003-04-19). "PC Preview: X2: The Threat". PC Zone (Future Publishing Limited.). http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=89980. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- ↑ Caesar S. (2008-01-03). "Egosoft updates X3: Reunion, X2: The Threat". QJ.net (Content Holdings, LLC.). http://www.qj.net/Egosoft-updates-X3-Reunion-X2-The-Threat/pg/49/aid/110949. Retrieved 2008-02-11.