This article's info is currently out-of-date. Maybe you can fix it?
Eiji Aonuma is currently the producer of the Legend of Zelda series of games at Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development, or Nintendo EAD. He inherited the position from Shigeru Miyamoto, who granted it to Aonuma and stepped back (though still mostly calling the shots in the background) to spend more time on new projects, and with his family and hobbies.
Aonuma was born in 1963, graduated from the Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music (studying design) in 1988, joined Nintendo shortly thereafter and has been there ever since. The first big credit to his name in the game industry was directing a Super Famicom title named Marvelous, created in 1996 through Nintendo R&D2.
Miyamoto saw the game, observed similarities to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and asked Aonuma to join him in directing the developing title The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Aonuma assisted in much of the game design, from dungeon layout to monster placement. Miyamoto was pleased to the point of making Aonuma the main director of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. His direction role was furthered again in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
Currently he is acting as a producer overseeing any in-development Zelda titles. This goes beyond game design to things like platform and release strategies, and franchise expansion.
Aonuma was quoted at E3 2004 as saying "...I would like to make a Zelda that somehow surpasses the Ocarina of Time," so it is safe to say that this is his current mission.
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006), Nintendo - Director
- The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (2004), Nintendo - Producer
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (2004), Nintendo - Supervisor
- The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (2003), Nintendo - Director, Producer
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002), Nintendo - Director
- Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001), Nintendo - Game Staff
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000), Nintendo - Director
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998), Nintendo - Director
- GoldenEye 007 - Progress Management
- Pilotwings 64 - Special Thanks
- Blast Corps - Supervisor
- Marvelous - Director, Graphic Design
|This article is a Stub. You can help by adding to it.|
Stubs are articles that writers have begun work on, but are not yet complete enough to be considered finished articles.