Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This is an outdated page that references or contains outdated information.|
This page should be edited to include more recent information.
Elena Fisher is one of the protagonists of the Uncharted series created by developer Naughty Dog. Fisher appears in both video games in the series: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. While not a playable character, Fisher acts as both a sidekick and love interest for main character Nathan Drake. Emily Rose both voiced Fisher and did the motion capture work for the character.
Though originally a brunette, Naughty Dog made her a blonde with a more severe chin before the first game's release. She is an independent, strong female who acts as an equal to main series protagonist Drake. In the games, she is a reporter who accompanies Drake on his adventures. Reception to the Fisher has been mostly positive. She has been called one of the strongest video game females, and her equality with male characters has been praised. However, the character has drawn criticism for her unrealistic combat prowess and abrasive personality. She has also drawn attention for her attractiveness, and has made multiple lists of most attractive video game characters.
Creation and conception
Emily Rose, the voice actor for Fisher, also performed the motion capture work for the character. The dialog was recorded while the scene were being performed. Fisher was meant to act as both a sidekick and a romantic interest for the main series protagonist Nathan Drake.
Originally, Fisher was presented as a brunette with a soft face. However, close to the release of the first game, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, her chin was further defined, and her hair made blonde. When questioned about the purpose of the change response, Sony said "they just preferred her blonde."
Fisher is a journalist, originally out to make a name for herself through documentary work, then later news broadcasting. Regarding her career, she has been described as a "spunky and nubile camerawoman". She proves herself a resourceful and capable ally to Drake.
Rose commented that Fisher matured between the first game and the sequel: "In the first game, she's a lot younger, she's a lot more naive, and she looks at things as being very possible, and in the second (game), has seen murders and adventure...the way that any person grows, you see that in her. She's a little bit more hesitant, a little more cynical".
In the first game, Fisher wears a dirty purple tanktop and khaki jeans, with a white tank top underneath. In the second game, she wears a number of articles of clothing, including a parka and a journalistic khaki jacket. Originally, Fisher had brown hair, and Sony showed her this way in the original advertising. However, shortly before the first game's release, her hair was changed to a dirty blonde tone.
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
In the 2007 game Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Fisher follows Drake around, videotaping his findings for her cable television show. As the game opens, she and Drake uncover the coffin of Drake's ancestor Sir Francis Drake, which Drake located from coordinates on a family heirloom ring he wears around his neck. The coffin contains Sir Francis Drake's diary, which gives the location of El Dorado. Pirates attack and destroy Drake's boat, but Drake's friend Victor "Sully" Sullivan rescues the two. Once safe, Sully and Drake decide to ditch Fisher and go after the treasure, though she manages to rendezvous with Drake after he discovers that El Dorado is a giant gold idol.
On the way to the island, anti-aircraft fire forces Elena and Drake to bail out of the airplane and they are separated. Once they meet, they discover that Sully, who appeared to die of a gunshot wound, is alive. After discovering that the statue is cursed, Drake must stop Gabriel Roman from using its power, and save Fisher in the process. After doing so, Fisher, Drake, and Sully drive off in a boat loaded with several small boxes of treasure.
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Nathan Drake stumbles upon Fisher by accident in Nepal. Fisher now acts as an investigative journalist. She and a cameraman are attempting to prove that war criminal Lazarevic is alive, contrary to the beliefs of the United Nations. Drake is trying to stop Lazarevic from finding the entrance to Shambhala and the legendary Cintamani stone. After she, Drake and the party find a temple (which conceals the secret map to Shambala), Elena and her cameraman are ambushed, and the cameraman, Jeff, is eventually executed by Lazarevic. Elena and Drake escape, and she helps him catch Lazarevic's train.
The pair find each other in a remote mountain village in Tibet, where the two meet Karl Schäfer, a German who had led a Schutzstaffel expedition to Shambhala, who he ended up killing in order to stop them from obtaining the Cintamani Stone. Drake and Elena track Lazaravic to a monastery, where they find the entrance to Shambhala. Once inside, they discover that the monsters Drake has been seeing in the area are guardians of the city. Drake and Elena are apprehended by Lazaravic but escape him when the guardians attack. After battling through several guardians and many henchmen left behind by Lazaveric, she, Nate, and Chloe spot the tree of life, upon at that moment Flynn confronts Drake and attempts to kill the party (and himself) with a grenade, he had failed, although he severely wounds Fisher. After leaving Elena in Chloe's care, Drake confronts Lazaravic at the Tree of Life, the sap of which comprises the Cintamani stone. Drake wounds Lazaravic, leaving the guardians to kill him, and returns to the village, where he and Elena kiss and begin a relationship.
Reception to the character of Elena Fisher has been mainly positive. Blaine Kyllo praised Rose's performance as Fisher, calling it some of the best work in video gaming, while Meagan VanBurkleo of Game Informer called Fisher one of her "favorite leading ladies."
Reviewers have commented that she is a strong, female lead uncommon to video games. Dave Meikleham of GamesRadar UK called her one of the strongest females in gaming. He states that she provides a great playoff to Drake, and a good shot to aid the players through levels. However, he also criticized her for a lack of realism, finding it hard to believe that as a reporter who had never fired a gun before could so quickly become such an accurate, fearless shot. IGN said, "She is a true survivor with an array of unusual skills". IGN also named her the fourth best video game heroine, praising Naughty Dog for creating a female protagonist equal in every way to her male counterpart: "She won't let the camera stop rolling, she won't take Drake's crap, and she's not afraid to throw a punch. When you're pinned down by enemy fire, Elena will cap the bad guys for you. When Drake's trapped in the enemy camp, Elena will rip walls down to save her friend. When you're in need of a solid, fleshed-out character, Elena's there as a prime example. "
Fisher has also garnered attention for her attractiveness. Bret Dawson of the Toronto Star compared Fisher's appearance and mannerisms to those of Jennifer Aniston. GameDaily named her one of the top 26 video game brunettes, noting: "No adventure story would be complete without a damsel in distress. Elena Fisher certainly fits the bill, a reporter who finds herself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Fortunately, she holds her own as she accompanies Nathan Drake deep into the jungle, occasionally managing a grenade launcher." GameDaily called her attractive, but annoying: "Elena plays the stereotypical 'you're a total jerk and you're not going anywhere without me' babe. Unlike Peach, we actually enjoyed our time spent apart. If only she disappeared more often." GameDaily named her the 49th hottest video game babe of all time.
- ↑ Workman, Robert (15 January 2009). Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Preview. GameDaily. Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Allgame (2007). Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Casamassina, Matt (19 November 2009). Editorial: How Uncharted 2 Can Fix Gaming. IGN. News Corporation. Retrieved on 7 December 2009.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Associated Press (5 December 2007). "'Drake's Fortune' Lets You Almost Be Indiana Jones". Fox News Channel. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315124,00.html. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Crecente, Brian (19 November 2007). "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune". Variety. http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117935464.html?categoryid=1023&cs=1. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Richardson, Ben (31 August 2007). Naughty Dog prefers blondes. GamesRadar. Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Nathan Drake Resume Feature. 1UP.com (2008). Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Ford, Greg (14 November 2007). Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3). 1UP.com. Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Uncharted - exclusive interview. GamesRadar (2007). Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ D'Alonzo, Mike (12 June 2009). Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Supporting Cast E3 2009 Interview. Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Nathan: Don't I wish. No, this was, ah... this was Francis Drake's ring. I, y'know, kind of inherited it. Elena: "Sic parvis magna"? Nathan: "Greatness from small beginnings" - it was his motto. Check out the date. Elena: 29th of January, 1596. Nathan: One day after he supposedly died. Elena: Wait, what are these numbers, right here? Nathan: Coordinates. Right off the coast of Panama. Elena: Oh, so that's how you found the coffin. Naughty Dog. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. (Sony Computer Entertainment). PlayStation 3. (19 November 2007)
- ↑ Elena: He's alive. Nathan: Huh. Elena: I don't know, Nate... I mean, how much do you trust this guy? It's not exactly like they're holding him at gunpoint. Nathan: I know. Yeah, it seems weird. But no. Sully's a lot of things, but he's not a back-stabber. Which way were they headed? Elena: Uh... North-ish. Yeah, towards the mountains. Nathan: Okay, it's gotta be the monastery. Let's go. Naughty Dog. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. (Sony Computer Entertainment). PlayStation 3. (19 November 2007)
- ↑ Nathan: Sorry you didn't get your story. Elena: Ah, that's all right. There'll be other stories. You still owe me one. Nathan: I'm good for it. Naughty Dog. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. (Sony Computer Entertainment). PlayStation 3. (19 November 2007)
- ↑ McGarvey, Sterling (4 June 2009). Uncharted 2: Among Thieves E3 Preview. G4. Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Nathan: ...not a sapphire Naughty Dog. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. (Sony Computer Entertainment). PlayStation 3. (13 October 2009)
- ↑ Kyllo, Blaine (3 April 2008). "Games put poetry into running and gunning". The Georgia Straight (Vancouver, British Columbia). http://www.straight.com/article-139257/games-put-poetry-running-and-gunning. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- ↑ VanBurkleo, Meagan (7 January 2010). Playboy’s Annual Girls Of Video Games. Game Informer. Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Meikleham, Dave. 11 badass game characters who should be wimps. GamesRadar. Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Elena Fisher Profile. IGN (2010). Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ IGN PlayStation Team (8 July 2009). The Wednesday 10: Gaming Heroines. IGN. Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Dawson, Bret (1 December 2007). "'Drake's Fortune' a treasure to behold". Toronto Star (Toronto, Ontario). http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/GameReview/article/281108. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Workman, Robert (23 January 2009). Babes of the Week: Brunettes. GameDaily. Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Buffa, Chris (6 March 2009). Babe of the Week: Hot, But Annoying. GameDaily. Retrieved on 14 January 2010.
- ↑ Buffa, Chris (21 March 2008). Top 50 Hottest Game Babes on Trial. GameDaily. Retrieved on 14 January 2010.