Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Eve of Destruction (EoD), is a series of free PC mods for the first-person shooter Battlefield Game Series. EoD is set in Indochina, mainly Vietnam, covering a historic period from 1949 through 1973, known as the Indochina Wars. It is developed and maintained by volunteers (EoD Devs Team) organized as a community.
Maps: (also called "missions") special attention was given to maps development, with the creation of a great variety of landscapes, like tropical jungles, urban and ruined cities, rural villages, rice paddies, trenches, swamps, rivers, beaches, waterfalls, day, sunset, eclipse, night, fog, even Punji sticks booby traps etc. By the release of version 2.00, 150 original maps where already developed (see releases). All maps from the original Battlefield 1942 game where ported in a "Vietnam fashion", with appropriate vegetation and buildings, giving "vanilla" users some tactical advantage in migrating to this mod.
Coop: in "Coop" game mode, in which the game engine simulates other players (bots), AI was recoded to coordinate disembarking of bots from medivac helicopters by launching "colored smoke grenades" on landing zones.
Eve of Destruction Classic
Game: Battlefield 1942
First release: 0.10, released as "10% demo", June 8th, 2003
First stable release: 0.31 patch, March 14th, 2004
Current release: 2.10 patch and full, April 1st, 2010
EoD Classic was the first EoD mod developed for the Battlefield Series. EA released Battlefield 1942 in 2002, and just some months later (2003) Goetterfunke founded the EoD team to create a Vietnam modification for BF1942. At the beginning it was called simply "Eve of Destruction", without "Classic" qualification adopted since the beginning of development of EoD2. Today it is maintained mainly by one developer (Lotte).
Historic Details and ReferencesMusic & Audio: samples of music of the sixties or from movies can be heard on radios on several maps, and even while driving vehicles or aircrafts, that are turned on/off by co-pilot or front passenger through the use of "attack" function (usually left mouse button).
Pinups: On some US bases many playmate's covers and posters can be found:
- Playboy covers of April, 1969, featuring Sharon Kristie, and October, 1969, featuring Paulette Lindberg.
- Playboy centerfolds of March, 1969, featuring Kathy MacDonald, September, 1969, featuring Shay Knuth and December, 1969, featuring Gloria Root.
Awards and mentions
- PC Gamer's "Mod of the Year 2003".
- FilePlanet's "Best New Mod 2003".
- Dan Morris of PC Gamer noted in the March 2004 issue of PC Gamer, "While Battlefield Vietnam was still a twinkle in its developers' eyes, this standout mod debuted to a rapturous reception from the Battlefield 1942 faithful."
List of all releases available showing the number of new maps at each release.
Click "show" to expand the table and "hide" to collapse again.
|Version||Release||Description||New Maps||Maps Sum|
|0.10||8-Jun-2003||Release name Demo 10% - Client Full (149 MB)||7||7|
|0.11||13-Jun-2003||Release name Demo 11%||0||7|
|0.12||15-Jun-2003||Release name Alpha 12% - Client Full (180 MB) | Update (1 MB)||0||7|
|0.20||13-Sep-2003||Release name Alpha 0.2 - Client Full (269 MB)||7||14|
|0.30||21-Feb-2004||Release name Alpha 0.3 - Client Full (480 MB)||7||21|
|0.45||18-Feb-2006||Client Full (680 MB)||4||33|
|0.46||18-Feb-2006||Client Full (680 MB)||2||35|
|0.50||14-Oct-2006||Client Full - Part 1 (458 MB) + Part 2 (535 MB)||26||61|
|0.51||19-Nov-2006||Client Patch (378 MB)||6||67|
|0.60||26-Jan-2007||Client Full - Part 1 + Part 2||7||74|
|0.61||???||Client Full - Part 1 + Part 2||5||79|
|0.70||25-Jul-2007||Client Full - Part 1 (641 MB) + Part 2 (571 MB)||12||91|
|0.71||30-Aug-2007||Client Patch (30 MB)||91|
|0.80||9-Feb-2008||Client Full - Part 1 (649 MB) + Part 2 (650 MB) + Part 3 (245 MB)||4||96|
|0.81||11-May-2008||Client Patch (366 MB)||6||102|
|0.90||21-Jul-2008||Client Full - Part 1 (649 MB) + Part 2 (650 MB) + Part 3 (600 MB)||15||117|
|1.00||8-Nov-2008||Client Full (1.93 GB)||9||126|
|1.10||8-Apr-2009||Client Patch (381 MB)||13||139|
|1.20||17-Apr-2009||Client Patch (26 MB)||139|
|1.50||14-Aug-2009||Client Full - Parts 1 ~ 4||4||143|
|2.00||1-Jan-2010||Client Full - Parts 1 ~ 5 (2.7 GB)||7||150|
|2.10||1-Apr-2010||Client Full - Parts 1 ~ 5 (2.77 GB)||9||159|
Eve of Destruction Vietnam
Game: Battlefield Vietnam
First stable release: October 26, 2004
Latest release: 0.16, 2010
In 2004, Battlefield: Vietnam was released, and the mod started to be ported to this game version. It was ignored for a long time, but a new version (including coop support, two new maps, and crash fixes) was released on Sept. 15th, 2010. It is unknown is development will continue.
Eve of Destruction 2
Game: Battlefield 2
First stable release: 1.00, 2007
Current release: 2.0, 2008
Third EoD mod developed for the Battlefield Series.
It has been announced on Project Reality Forums a collaboration between EoD 2 and Project Reality developers to create "Project Reality: Vietnam" mod. It has been confirmed in an announcement by Trahn Lee Liao, lead EoD 2 developer. Since the original announcement was made on April Fool's Day, it was also confirmed in another post on Project Reality Forums as well.
- ↑ Eve of Destruction official website. EoD Devs Team. Retrieved on January 14, 2010.
- ↑ About EoD - Eve of Destruction · The Indochina Vietnam Conflict 1946-1973. EoD Devs Team. Retrieved on January 19, 2010.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Eve of Destruction Demo 10%. Gamespy. Archived from the original on June 08, 2003 Retrieved on January 19, 2010.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 EoD 2.10 Changelog. EoD Devs Team. Retrieved on April 23, 2010.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Eve of Destruction History. EoD Devs Team. Retrieved on January 20, 2010.
- ↑ Eve of Destruction v.3 Limited-Time Alpha Test. FilePlanet. Archived from the original on September 26, 2004 Retrieved on January 21, 2010.
- ↑ FilePlanet's Best of 2003. FilePlanet. Archived from the original on February 9, 2004 Retrieved on January 22, 2010.
- ↑ "10th Annual PC Gamer Awards". PC Gamer (Future Publishing). March 2003
- ↑ EoD Classic - General Info's. dTM. Retrieved on January 20, 2010.
- ↑ EoD Classic - Missions. dTM. Retrieved on January 20, 2010.
- ↑ Project Reality Vietnam Announced!. Project Reality Forums. Retrieved on April 21, 2010.
- ↑ Project Reality: Vietnam. EoD Devs Team. Retrieved on April 21, 2010.
- ↑ Project Reality: Vietnam Update. Project Reality Forums. Retrieved on April 21, 2010.