EverQuest: The Planes of Power (PoP, POP, or Planes of Power) is the fourth expansion to EverQuest, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). The expansion was released in 2002 and comprises an assortment of otherworldly planes that do not exist in a planetary sense within the EverQuest universe.
The expansion added content to the game aimed specifically toward the high-end player. In addition to adding new zones to the game, the expansion also introduced a network of portal points through the game realm. Players could use them to quickly travel to and from various regions through a central plane, known as Plane of Knowledge.
The primary goal, or end-quest, of The Planes of Power is access to the Plane of Time. Access to this plane can only be obtained through vanquishing the four elemental gods and goddesses: Fennin Ro, The Rathe Council, Coirnav and Xegony. To gain access to all of the zones of the expansion and successfully enter the Plane of Time, the players needed to complete 28 flag events of all sorts, involving the death of planar deities and deific creatures. These encounters can only be completed with the organized effort of up to 72 players working together simultaneously.
In order to enter the expansion's zones, a player had to reach the former set planar level of 46. Once the character reached level 55 he gained access to two more zones which are the Plane of Valor and the Plane of Storms. At 62 the Bastion of Thunder then became available. Those level limits can be bypassed by completing the progression of the expansion, allowing for example to be level 46 while adventuring in the Bastion of Thunder. The maximum level was increased from 60 to 65 with this expansion and new Particle Weapons were added, when before only epic weapons had such visual effects.
The Planes of Power came after Shadows of Luclin, which had a number of problems with the end-game locations, and this expansion had similar issues.
After Omens of War was released, Plane of Time was changed and turned into an instance, meaning everyone had their own lock-out timer and set of spawns, this allowed more people to have access to higher end-content and equipment.
The adventure zones of this expansion are organised as tiers- and to access the next tier players have to pass several trials. Tier 0 is accessible by everyone and is used to connect with the other planes, there is nothing to fight in those zones. (Plane of Tranquility is restricted to level 46 and higher). Tier 1 planes are accessible to everyone level 46 and higher, and contain the first trials.
- Tier 0
- Plane of Knowledge
- Plane of Tranquility - the whole plane is the god Quellious.
- Tier 1
- Plane of Disease - home of Grummus.
- Plane of Innovation
- Plane of Justice - home of The Tribunal.
- Plane of Nightmare
- Tier 2
- Plane of Storms
- Plane of Valor
- Ruins of Lxanvom - also known as Crypt of Decay, home of Bertoxxolous.
- Lair of Terris Thule - also known as Plane of Nightmare B, home of Terris Thule.
- Tier 3
- Bastion of Thunder - home of Karana, under attack from Agnarr the Storm Lord.
- Halls of Honor
- Drunder, Fortress of Zek - also known as Plane of Tactics, home of Rallos Zek, Vallon Zek and Tallon Zek (the twins).
- Temple of Marr - also known as Halls of Honor B, home of Mithaniel Marr.
- Tower of Solusek Ro - home of Solusek Ro.
- Plane of Torment - home of Saryrn.
- Tier 4 (the Elemental planes)
- Doomfire, The Burning Lands - also known as Plane of Fire, home of Fennin Ro.
- Eryslai the Kingdom of Wind - also known as Plane of Air, home of Xegony.
- Vegarlson the Earthen Badlands - also known as Plane of Earth.
- Ragrax, Stronghold of the Twelve - also known as Plane of Earth B, home of the Rathe Council.
- Reef of Coirnav - also known as Plane of Water, home of Coirnav the Avatar of Water.
- Tier 5
- Plane of Time A - a sort of waiting hall for players to gather before entering Plane of Time B
- Plane of Time B
Years later, updates made the Plane of Time B an instanced zone, allowing multiple groups of players to take on these encounters, simultaneously.