|This article needs to be cleaned up. More information may be found in this article's talk page.|
Galaxy Force (ギャラクシーフォース) is a sprite-scaling rail shooter arcade game, released by Sega in 1988 and built upon the Sega Y Board. The game which is in the tradition of Sega's successful Space Harrier is set in space. Two other versions of the arcade game were released as Galaxy Force II Deluxe Edition and Galaxy Force Super Deluxe Edition. The game was ported in 1989 to the Sega Master System and in 1990 to the Mega Drive/Genesis, Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, FM Towns, Sega Saturn and PlayStation 2 platforms. Galaxy Force II is also available on the Virtual Console via Sega Genesis/Mega Drive in Japan on February 3, 2009, in Europe on May 1, 2009 and in North America on May 11, 2009.
"In this distant Galaxy exist many systems harboring life. Trade and communication have arisen between these star systems, as has a great, dark force threatening these distant civilizations. To fight this dark menace the Space Federation was formed, but has met with little success.
The enemy calls itself THE FOURTH EMPIRE and has now attacked JUNOS, jewel of the Galaxy. The JUNOS star system, once so beautiful... is only ashes now. And on these ashes THE FOURTH EMPIRE is building the strongest fortress of all time, from which to complete their conquest of the galaxy.
The Space Federation must end this evil menace! Thus is launched Galaxy Force, to strike a hammer blow against the forces threatening civilization. Fortunately, having done this duty of saving JUNOS people and destroying THE FOURTH EMPIRE, a combatant of Galaxy Force returned to the ship."
- Junos: The jewel of the Galaxy, this planet is under attack by the Fourth Empire and is home of the Galaxy Force, the first level however is the Junos moon taken by the Fourth Empire.
- Velteor: A red hot planet covered almost entirely of magma with flaming solar-like prominences.
- Malkland: Another planet with life. Here there's giant worm-like creatures that shoot red fireballs and plants that grow very fast that can entangle your ship if it is caught in it causing substantial damage.
- Orthea: The only gas planet in the Junos system with tornados and birdlike creatures, in their fortress there's worm-like cave monsters.
- Ashutar: The most distant plant and the coldest, there is almost no life here but the Fourth Empire's army.
- Hyperspace: The last level of the game where the Fourth Empire's main stronghold is located and is still under construction. The heart of the enemy is here.
- ↑ "Galaxy Force Plays Real Soccer at a Pirate Party". Nintendo of America. 2009-05-11. http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/tkWdTrpemA84FeCG8m0t6Y60oSeK0uja. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
Galaxy Force II
- Galaxy Force at Museum of the Game
- Galaxy Force II (Deluxe model) at arcade-history