Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town is primarily a simulation game in the tradition of the Harvest Moon series. It was released around the same time as the Gamecube game, Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life. Not only did they link up to gain bonus characters & items through a GameCube Link Cable, but both "stories" took place in the same world. The setting of this game, Mineral Town, is just beyond a steep mountain pass of AWL's hometown of Forget-Me-Not Valley.
The game also provided an alternative to Harvest Moon purists who felt that AWL's changes were too drastic. Friends of Mineral Town follows the formula set up by the SNES game and expands on it. More animals, bigger town, and of course, more friends.
The Animals of the game are: Cows, Sheep, Chickens and a horse. The player begins the game with a dog.
- Can enter the Cow Festival
- Gives milk for shipment and cheese making
- 1-4 hearts = Small Milk
- 5-7 hearts = Medium Milk
- 8-10 hearts = Large Milk
- 8-10 hearts w. Crown = Gold Milk
- 8-10 hearts w. Crown and had 600 hrs. of grazing = P Milk (Platinum Milk)
Note: A rare variety of milk called X Milk appears on very rare occasions from a cow that usually gives P Milk, however it's very rare and nearly never happens. Don't count on it.
Also, A crown refers to an animal that has won the festival designated for that animal (Sheep winning the Sheep festival, and so on).
- Can enter the Chicken Festival
- Gives eggs for shipment and mayonnaise making
- 1-4 hearts = Low Quality Egg
- 5-7 hearts = Good Quality Egg
- 8-10 hearts = High Quality Egg
- 8-10 hearts w. Crown = Golden Egg
- 8-10 hearts w. Crown and had 600 hrs. of grazing = P Egg (Platinum Egg)
Note that a rare variety of egg called X egg is laid on very rare occasions by a chicken that usually lays P Eggs.
Also, An egg called Spa-Boiled Egg can be made by dropping an egg in the Hot Springs. It ships for 50g regardless of the level egg you threw in. Not really a good idea unless you are making these eggs to give to Ann.
- Can enter the Sheep Festival
- Gives wool for shipment and yarn making
- 1-4 hearts = Small Wool
- 5-7 hearts = Medium Wool
- 8-10 hearts = Large Wool
- 8-10 hearts w. Crown = Gold Wool
- 8-10 hearts w. Crown and had 600 hrs. of grazing = P Wool (Platinum Wool)
Note: A rare variety of wool called X Wool appears on very rare occasions from a sheep that usually gives P Wool.
- Can be ridden after 1 year
- Used as a mobile shipping box after 1 year
- It needs to mature first.
- Don't abuse your horse; otherwise, Barley will come and take it away. He will give it back to you in one year. You need 6 hearts or more in Year 2 spring to be able to keep your horse.
- Very low maintenance. Brush it and take it in when it rains. That will increase it's heart level.
- Can enter the Beach Festival
- Can be used to scare away wild dogs
- Pick up and throw down dog to make it happy. Quite simple. Doing this will increase its heart level. Is like petting the dog in different versions.
- It also likes it when you take it to bed. Simply hold it and go to bed.
- Alternatively, it enjoys sleeping with other animals such as chickens or cattle.