IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey, or Wings of Prey on the PC, is a combat flight simulator video game. As with previous installments of the PC series IL-2 Sturmovik, it depicts combat aircraft from World War 2. The game has a campaign mode in which players are able to fly the Allies against the Axis, and also a multiplayer mode in which they are be able to select either faction. A demo of the game launched on the PSN and Xbox 360's Xbox Live on 29 July 2009.
Birds of Prey is based around the large-scale aerial combat and ground military operations of World War II. Players can participate in some of the war’s most famous battles piloting fighters, attack aircraft and heavy bombers across a range of missions. There are six theatres of war to engage in – The Battle of Britain, Stalingrad, Berlin, Sicily, Korsun and the battle of the Bulge, representing the main airborne battles of World War II in Europe.
Birds of Prey has a new damage effects engine. Players can see real time damage to the aircraft such as holes in the wings and trail lines during dog fights. IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey features hundreds of aircraft taking part in air battles. The environmental engine also produces high detail, realistic landscapes that allow players to easily see ground support actions.
Birds of Prey received a favourable reception on consoles. It achieved a Metacritic average of 80% on the Xbox 360, and 81% on the PlayStation 3.
IGN gave it 8.6 and said that the "strength of its play mechanics and attention to detail make it one of the best choices for console-based flight combat". IT Reviews commented that it was "thunderingly atmospheric and visually breathtaking, [but] it has some balancing issues". EuroGamer said that it was a "rousing aerial shooter... [but] sadly rather too easy to complete".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1C Launches Console Development. IGN (June 6, 2008). Retrieved on 2009-03-25
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.airwargame.com/eng/game/
- ↑ Wings of Prey System Requirements. Game-Debate. Retrieved on 15 May 2010
- ↑ http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/879/879845p1.html ign.com IL-2 Preview
- ↑ "IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Demo Lands on Xbox Live Arcade". 505 Games. 2009-07-29. http://bhimpact.gamespress.com/release.asp?i=347. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- ↑ http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/il-2-sturmovik-birds-of-prey
- ↑ http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1020377p1.html IGN
- ↑ http://www.itreviews.co.uk/games/g621.htm IT Reviews
- ↑ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/il-2-sturmovik-birds-of-prey-review EuroGamer