James Pond 3: Operation Starfish (also spelled Operation Starfi5h, after the fictional secret service F.I.5.H) is a 1993 video game for the Amiga and Amiga CD32 platforms. The game was also released for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, the Super Nintendo and the Sega Game Gear. Operation Starfish is the third and last game in the James Pond series. It is also the only one that was only released for AGA Amigas: the Amiga 1200, the Amiga 4000 and CD32.
Like the other James Pond games, Operation Starfish is a comical cartoonish platform game starring an orange fish called James Pond, although this game draws more from science fiction films then from spy films as the previous games in the series. The game's plot involves Pond's archenemy, Dr. Maybe, constructing a stronghold on the Moon so that he can mine it for cheese, so Pond and his sidekick Finnius the Frog travel to the Moon to penetrate his stronghold and foil his evil plans of taking over the dairy industry.
The gameplay in Operation Starfish is similar to the SNES game Super Mario World. The map of the Moon consists of many levels connected with pathways. Based on the humorous legend that the Moon is made of cheese, all levels are named after different dairy products, such as "The Garden of Edam", after the Garden of Eden. A unique twist to the standard "Super Mario"-style gameplay is that Pond's magno-boots allow him to walk on the Moon's cheesy surface in any orientation, even upside down. Operation Starfish was one of the largest games to be made for the Sega Mega Drive. The goal of each level is to find one of its communication beacons and break it. Some beacons require activating first by finding special cups.
Pond can run, jump and punch as standard. He can also use various items lying around, such as spring shoes, fruit guns and dynamite. By finding a special icon, players can play as his froggy partner, Finnius, who has superior jumping abilities.
- Fruit Gun: Whilst fruit can be picked up and thrown at enemies, using the Fruit Gun, he can use them as ammunition. Different fruits produce different results. For example, a cupcake acts as a homing missile.
- X-ray specs: See things that can't normally be sensed.
- Spring Shoes: When wearing these, Ponds can bounce really high over long pits, although it can be tricky to predict where is a safe place to land.
- Jetpack: Can be used to take Pond anywhere, provided he has the fuel.
- Finnius: Once rescued from a certain level, Finnius can be played by finding an icon with his face on. Finnius has the ability to jump higher than Pond, reaching areas he cannot. Hitting the icon again will revert control back to Pond.
- 'James Pond 3: Operation Starfish' at MobyGames
- 'James Pond series at MobyGames
- James Pond 3 at lemonamiga.com
|This platform game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|