Jubeat (ユビート Yubīto ) is a series of arcade music video games developed by Konami Computer Entertainment Japan, and is a part of Konami's Bemani line of music video games. The series uses an arrangement of 16 buttons in a 4x4 grid for gameplay, a grid also used for the displaying of cues and part of the user interface.
The game went on several location tests in Asia since December 2007, and was released on July 24, 2008. in Japan, and December in Hong Kong and Macau (Mainland China didn't officially get the game until early 2010, and the mainland version has no network or e-Amusement card functions). Two attempts to localize the game for the United States market have been made since August 2008, including UBeat, a variant of the first version, and Jukebeat in 2009, a variant based on Jubeat Ripples.
The basic gameplay of the series is similar to Nintendo DS music games such as Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents and can be considered to be similar to Whac-A-Mole. Animated explosions or other animations, called "markers", that can be chosen at the song select screen are shown within the panels synced to a track of the player's choosing; when they reach a "hot point", which is dependent on the marker chosen, the player must tap the corresponding screen to score points. Taps can be judged as either Perfect, いい感じ (Good), 早い (Fast), or 遅い (Slow). 3 difficulties (Basic, Advanced, and Extreme) are offered for each song.
As with other Konami games, an e-Amusement card can be used to save statistics and a player ranking, and can also be used to access unlockable songs. Single player and linked multiplayer modes with multiple cabinets are also offered.
|jubeat song list, excluding hidden tunes (Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan)|
|Snow Goose||Mutsuhiko Izumi|
|BLOOD on FIRE||AAA|
|FREE FREE||Ami Suzuki joins Yasutaka Nakata (capsule)|
|Good bye little girl||Mi|
|Kiss Kiss||Chris Brown featuring T-Pain|
|My Love||Ai Kawashima|
|PLAY THE GAME||Road Of Major|
|rose||ANNA inspi' NANA (BLACK STONES)|
|Scatman (Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop)||Scatman John|
|ちっぽけな勇気||FUNKY MONKEY BABYS|
|冒険者たち||Do As Infinity|
|A Perfect Sky||BONNIE PINK|
|BELIEVE IN LOVE||Ai + BAND|
|BLUE BIRD||Ayumi Hamasaki|
|I my me mine||Polysics|
|I'M IN THE MOOD FOR DANCING||Nolans|
|Love so sweet||ARASHI|
|SPEED KING||Rip Slyme|
|天体観測||BUMP OF CHICKEN|
|一色||NANA starring MIKA NAKASHIMA|
North American and European location tests
Several attempts have been made by Konami to make a localized version of Jubeat for the United States and European markets.
The first North American attempt, was originally announced by on August 26 on the DDR Online Community site, and was held from September 8, 2008 and ran until September 14, 2008 at a Boomers! location in Irvine, California, and was accompanied by a location test of Dance Dance Revolution X. A European location test for UBeat was announced on October 10 on DDRUK, running through into the school autumn holidays. The game's title was re-written as UBeat, which is however pronounced the same as the original title.
The song list was based on the initial song list of Jubeat, but included additional American music to replace the Japanese music that comprised the original song list.
|UBeat location test song list|
|Barbie Girl||Aqua (cover)|
|Give Me Up||Michael Fortunati|
|I'm In The Mood For Dancing||Nolans|
|Jumping Boogie||Kozo Nakamura|
|Kiss Kiss||Chris Brown feat. T-Pain|
|Orpheus In The Underworld||Mutsuhiko Izumi|
|Scatman (Ski Ba Bop Ba Dop Bop)||Scatman John|
|Snow Goose||Mutsuhiko Izumi|
|Take on Me||a-ha|
In a second attempt not publicly announced by Konami, a second version, re-titled Jukebeat and now based on the second version, Jubeat Ripples, was tested at Sherman Oaks Castle Park in November 2009. The game still included several of the new licensed tracks featured on the UBeat test, but included a wider array of current and popular music.
|Jukebeat location test song list|
|"Do Your Thing"||Basement Jaxx|
|"Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)"||C&C Music Factory|
|"Here It Goes Again"||OK Go|
|"I Do Not Hook Up"||Kelly Clarkson|
|"It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)"||R.E.M.|
|"I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)"||Pitbull|
|"I Wanna Be Sedated"||The Ramones|
|"I Write Sins Not Tragedies"||Panic at the Disco|
|"Macarena"||Los Del Rio|
|"Now You're Gone"||Basshunter|
|"Orpheus In The Underworld"||Mutsuhiko Izumi|
|"Pump Up the Jam"||Technotronic|
|"School's Out"||Alice Cooper|
|"September"||Earth, Wind & Fire|
|"Shake It"||Metro Station|
|"Snow Goose"||Mutsuhiko Izumi|
|"Take on Me"||a-ha|
|"Viva la Vida"||Coldplay|
|"Who Let the Dogs Out?"||Baha Men|
|"William Tell Overture"||W.T. Orchestra|
|"You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)"||Dead or Alive|
|This article needs to be cleaned up. More information may be found in this article's talk page.(March 2010)|
- Operation started on 24th July 2008 in Japan, December in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau. Designed theme is of a Blue and Black techno ambience.
- jubeat ripples
- Location tests during March and April 2009 in Japan. Operation started on 5th August 2009. Designed theme is of a white and light green natural ambience, using doughnut-like rings as a motif of ripples. In addition, following key changes were made:
- The original "Skill class" system was replaced with a grade points driven "Grade-up" system.
- Specific requirements for "CLASS-UPs" and hidden contents are replaced with gaining specific amount of grade points.
- Tournament function is added. Registered e-AMUSEMENT PASS holders can hold tournaments to compete with other players who signed up on the e-AMUSEMENT site in advance.
- Tune selection screen allows different "sorting" preferences, including: difficulty, BPM, rating, score.
- Purchasing e-Amusement Pass monthly service activates the "Rival" and "Competition" system.
- Additional background colors and markers (some to be unlocked by grade-up).
- More detailed information on the differences in Ripples can be found in the external links section at the bottom
- jubeat ripples APPEND
- An update kit set for the current version of ripples. To be released in Japan on 18th March 2010. beatmania IIDX 17 SIRIUS will be updated with new data through the KONAMI server automatically.
- At least 20 additional licensed tracks that were released after the launch of jubeat ripples to be added, including "Unbelievable" by mihimaruGT, other songs by GIRL NEXT DOOR, lecca and COLTEMONIKA.
- New Original tracks to be added included "ALBIDA", a Level 10 (Extreme) tune from DJ Yoshitaka, composer of "Evans" in jubeat.
- In collaboration with beatmania IIDX 17 SIRIUS, players will be able to unlock tracks on both machines.
- Phase 1: From 8 March 2010, jubeat ripples players can unlock "IN THE NAME OF LOVE", "Special One" and "bass 2 bass" on beatmania IIDX 17 SIRIUS by playing them on jubeat ripples.
- Phase 2: From 18 March 2010, after playing the above tunes, "AIR RAID FROM THA UNDAGROUND" will be unlocked on jubeat ripples APPEND. After playing it, the same track will be unlocked on beatmania IIDX 17 SIRIUS. After clearing the above 4 tunes, "Evans" will be unlocked on beatmania IIDX 17 SIRIUS.
- jubeat knit
- The 3rd generation of jubeat with a yellow ambience and graphics of wavy lines. To be release in Japan on 29 July 2010.
- Location Test Version exhibited in the AOU 2010 Amusement Expo on 19–20 February 2010 in Japan.
- Location Test in Japan starts from 26 February 2010.
- System Vocal has been changed to male, with Jazz background music.
- New functions including "Concierge", "Grouping", "Tag Entry" and "Variable Level Matching".
- External online players can be matched in "Local Play" mode.
- Grading System theme changed from Animals to Fruits. Order of unlocking new tunes will be different for each player.
- "jubility" skill point scheme introduced.
- New original tunes including "Sweet Rain" (by Y&Co.) and "Shining Wizard" (by 96) will be included.
- PASELI service introduced. Players can "pay-per-tune" up to a maximum of 5 tunes per game.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Jubeat. IGN. Retrieved on 2008-05-16
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 DDR X & UBeat Location Tests. Retrieved on 2008-08-27
- ↑ EXCLUSIVE: UBeat Test Location - Tenpin Bowl in. Retrieved on 2008-10-10[dead link]
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 UBeat -US Location Test-. Bemanistyle (2008-09-08). Retrieved on 2008-09-08
- ↑ jukebeat Location Test Report - Sherman Oaks Castle Park. Bemanistyle (November 18, 2009). Retrieved on 27 March 2010
- Jubeat official website
- Jubeat ripples official website
- Jubeat knit official website
- Jubeat product page
- Jubeat ripples product page
- Jubeat knit product page
- Jubeat discussion thread at Zenius-I-Vanisher
- Try out Jubeat on this simulator for Windows
- List of changes in Ripples at Bemanistyle forums
- Images of and information on Jubeat Knit from AOU2010 at Youbeat forums