Kojima Productions (小島プロダクション Kojima Purodakushon) is a Japanese video game development studio under the guidance of game designer Hideo Kojima. The company is a subsidiary of Konami, and is located in Roppongi Hills in Roppongi, Tokyo. The studio had just under 100 employees in 2005 but has since grown to over 200 people for the development of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. The company's logo is the FOX unit badge from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.
The company was intended to relieve Kojima of the business management and administrative responsibilities he had previously as KCEJ's vice president. As the head of Kojima Productions, Kojima is able to focus solely on creating games. In regards to his current position at Konami, he stated:
|“||"To elaborate a little bit more, I am now in a position within Konami as one of the members of the board, and it's true that I do have a responsibility, and also respect, within the company. However, when I say as a creator, "I want to create this new game", it's still the same as twenty years ago! People still ask, "will that sell, will that be good?" Nobody really understands whether it would be an instant hit or whatever. I'm not just talking about the top executives, but even the development staff! But that is my challenge, actually. That's what's interesting. They do not understand what they cannot see instantly, so they can't say "that's a great idea" straight away. That's my challenge, and my satisfaction when I present to them, saying I want to create this new thing. And if I get more 'boos' about it - if they say, "No! We don't know what you're talking about!" then this is actually the fun part.||”|
The company has recently completed production of Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid Touch; the latter is a shooter based on Metal Gear Solid 4 for the iPhone and iPod Touch and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker for PlayStation Portable. Upcoming projects include Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Metal Gear Solid: Rising.
Though Hideo Kojima has produced games at Konami since 1987, the "Kojima Productions" studio was not formed until 2005. However Konami retroactively refers to Kojima's earlier productions as belonging to the studio. All Kojima Productions games were published by Konami. Games published with the Kojima Productions studio name are bolded.
- Metal Gear Solid: Rising (PS3, PC, X360, TBA)
- Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (3DS, TBA)
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP, 2010)
- Metal Gear Solid Touch (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad 2009)
- Metal Gear Online (PS3, 2008)
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3, 2008)
- Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (PSP, 2007)
- Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP, 2006)
- Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP, 2006)
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, 2005)
- Metal Gear Acid 2 (PSP, 2005)
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2, 2004)
- Metal Gear Acid (PSP, 2004)
- Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GCN, 2004)
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (XB, PS2, PC, 2002)
- The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, 2002)
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2, 2001)
- Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GBC, 2000)
- Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (PS, 1999)
- Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PS, PC, 1999)
- Metal Gear Solid (PS, 1998)
- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2, 1990)
- Metal Gear (MSX2, 1987)
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (X360, PS3, 2010)
- Gaitame Baibai Trainer: Kabutore FX (DS, 2009)
- Lunar Knights (DS, 2007)
- Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS, 2007)
- Shin Bokura no Taiyō Gyakushū no Sabata (GBA, 2005)
- Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (GBA, 2004)
- Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand (GBA, 2003)
- Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner (PS2, 2003)
- Zone of the Enders (PS2, 2001)
- Policenauts (PC-98, 3DO, PS, SAT 1994-1996)
- Snatcher (PC-88, MSX2, PC-E, 1988–1992)
- ↑ Hideo Kojima Blogs About Life, Metal Gear (2005-09-28). Retrieved on 2008-03-13.
- ↑ Tal Blevins (2005-08-19). GC 2005: Hideo Kojima Interview (Page 3). Retrieved on 2008-03-13.
- ↑ Christian Nutt (2007-10-15). Infiltrating Kojima Productions: Ryan Payton Talks Metal Gear Solid 4 (Page 5). Retrieved on 2008-03-31.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Hideo Kojima Exclusive Q&A (2005-05-20). Retrieved on 2008-03-12.
- ↑ http://games.kikizo.com/features/hideo-kojima-interview-2008-p1.asp
- ↑ Kojima Productions Lineup (2008). Retrieved on 2008-06-04.
- ↑ Kojima Pro E3 2010 Special Site (2010-06-15). Retrieved on 2010-06-15.