|This article does not cite any references or sources.|
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.
Article has not been correctly referenced since February 2007
Konami '88 (also known as '88 Games or Hyper Sports Special) is the third in the Track & Field game series by Konami, where you test your Olympic skills against other world-class athletes. As the name implies, it is loosely based on (and not licensed by) the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea. Bronze or silver medals are not good enough - you have to go for the gold to get to the next event. However, you must at least qualify in each event in order to compete in the next event:
- 100m Dash : Race against the other athletes as well as the clock. This is just a warm-up compared to the events to come.
- Long Jump : Player dashes to the line, leaps, and propels his body as far as he is able. The player controls the speed and angle of the jump.
- 400m Relay (Qualifying Heat): Speed and timing are crucial in this event. Player must coordinate the baton hand-off perfectly for the best qualifying time.
- Skeet Shooting : Player can aim left and right at the clay pigeons and must prove that he is a sure shot. A chance for bonus points is given for excellent marksmanship.
- 110m Hurdles : Player sprints down the track, timing his jumps perfectly to clear all of the hurdles and reach the finish line in time.
- Archery : This is a trial of the player's proficiency in using a bow and arrow. The player can decide the direction and force of the wind, which will help in demonstrating his skill as a sharpshooter.
- Javelin : The player darts to the line and throws the javelin with all his might. The player controls the height of the javelin.
- High Jump : Another test of speed and strength as the player runs to the line and hurls his body over the bar. The player can control his angle above the bar.
- 400m Relay - The Final Race : The final test of physical training as the player faces the challenging relay again.
- 100 Meter Dash: both players finish at the same time = +3000 pts.
- Long Jump: Jump a distance of 6.66 meters = +3000pts.
- 110 Meter Hurdles: both players finish at the same time = +3000 pts.
- Javelin Throw: ?
- Skeet Shooting: Shoot every plate and a flying saucer will fly across the screen. Don't shoot it at first! wait and hit it in the left box. Then a bird will appear and you can shoot it twice and earn +5000 per hit! Bringing your grand total to 18100 if you do it in a timely fashion you can earn a max score of 18200.
- Triple Jump: ?
- Archery: Get a bullseye on the last shot and unlock a bonus shot at a cat with an apple on its head.
- High Jump: make every jump without missing at all. + 3000 pts.