Legend of Success Joe (あしたのジョー Ashita no Jō , "Tomorrow's Joe") is a boxing video game created by Wave Corp. and released for the Neo-Geo arcade and home system. The game is based on Tomorrow's Joe (a translation of the same name above), a manga created by Tetsuya Chiba and Asao Takamori in the early 1970s, that was also adapted into several anime series. The game had a home system launch price of approximately $200 USD.
The player stars as Joe Yabuki, an aspiring boxer, as he goes from an unknown kid from the rough side of town to a boxing champion. The game follows the traditional beat 'em up format, with some portions taking place inside a boxing ring and others taking place in the back alleyways, as Joe trains, fights bullies, and then fights in the boxing ring.
Despite the notability of the source material, the game was reviewed very poorly and did not receive a release outside of Japan. It is widely considered one of the worst games for the Neo-Geo system, with common complaints being very poor gameplay control, inadequate graphics and poor animation on a system that was touted as not having these issues.
- ↑ Kazuya_UK, Review of Legend of Success Joe, neogeoforlife.com, Accessed Jun. 02, 2007
- ↑ Bobak Ha'Eri, Review of Legend of Success Joe, Neo-Geo.com, Accessed Apr. 23, 2006
- ↑ Cyril Lachel, Review of Legend of Success Joe, DefunctGames.com, Accessed Apr. 23, 2006
- ↑ OverClocked: Mystery Videogame Theater 3000 presents: Episode #11 - Legend of Success Joe, OverClocked.org, Feb. 28, 2000, Accessed Jun. 24, 2006
- ↑ RalfLoire, Review of Legend of Success Joe, GameFAQs, Accessed Apr. 23, 2006
- ↑ BMan2, Review of Legend of Success Joe, JoseQ Emu Views, Accessed Apr. 23, 2006
- ↑ 5 worst games you ever played?, Neo-Geo.com, Aug. 23, 2000, Accessed Apr. 23, 2006
- ↑ Worst Neo Geo Game of All Time, SNK-Capcom.com, Sept. 27, 2003, Accessed Apr. 23, 2006
- Neo-Geo Master List, Neo-Geo.com, Accessed Apr. 24, 2006