Main Protagonist of the game used by the player. He is a skilled swordsman who trained under the legendary swordsman Musashi(most likely a reference to the real Japanese swordsman) since he was a child. He is very skilled for his age and is possibly the most skilled out of the whole group, especially considering his inexperience. This also leads him to be quite cocky, and seems to have a tendency to say things without thinking beforehand, coming off as a somewhat "disrespectful kid". He knows right from wrong, however, and always can be counted on to do the right thing for others along with a deep respect for ones own freedom. After finishing his training with his sensei, he subsequently left and ventured out on his own to experience freedom of his own. He dies at the end of the game. He is based on Katsushirō from the film Seven Samurai.
From an early age, Natoe studied under the legendary swordsman Musashi, trying to perfect his skills. He is the last surviving hunter to wield the long-lost Nihonto sword. Although he's a great swordsman, he ran away before completing his training and now travels the world as he pleases. He feels no need for authority and believes in complete freedom, though he is still young and his instinct for right and wrong has yet to be established. He has a kind heart and harbors deep empathy for the weak while having antipathy for the self-important. Natoe is reluctant when it comes to killing, yet he does what he feels is necessary to ensure that the strong do not prey upon the weak. A genuine figure, he is on the path to becoming a true samurai.
An orphaned girl when she was younger, she was brought into the care of Musashi to train with Natoe when he was seven years old. She has long harbored feelings for him throughout the years but will never openly admit them. She is somewhat of a tomboy, and can be quite obnoxious to those around her. She is less skilled than Natoe and may in fact be the least skilled out of the whole group. After Natoe left to venture on his own, she thought him selfish (He was supposed to be the heir to Musashi's style, and take over his dojo) and took off after him to convince him to return. However, Natoe thinks she is the selfish one, and treats her as little more than an annoyance. Sometime on her travels, she became one of the Agents of the city, and continually tried to convince the others of the agents true intentions. None of the others took heed of her, however, and they end up finding out the hard way. She and Natoe's relationship deepens near the end of the game, but as he returns from the final battle against Ein, They are attacked by Zwei, and she dies along with Natoe.
She is the daughter of the legendary swordsman Musashi, Natoe's master. She grew up with Natoe and has always held a special place in her heart for him, though she never admits it. From Natoe's point of view, Jodie sometimes acts spoiled and selfish. Jodie, however, thinks that Natoe is the selfish one, since he abandoned her father's wishes for him to become the next samurai master. She follows Natoe around trying to convince him to return home with her and live up to her father's expectations. It's wise not to be fooled by her looks or her black wooden sword, as she is the daughter of the most respected swordsman of all time. She is closest to the character of Gorobei from Seven Samurai.
An aged warrior who excels in the art of strategy, his skills as a swordsman are the result of surviving the dangers of many wars. Indeed, Kanbei keeps cool in the heat of battle, and is very intelligent due to his many experiences and old age. He is third most skilled samurai, about on par with Rojie, but weaker than Cue or Natoe. He devises up all the battle strategies for the defense of the village and acts as the leader of the group. He and Rojie are the only remaining samurai at the end of the game.
Kambei is an old soldier with the grace and wisdom of a true samurai. Comfortable in command due to his previous encounters with the humanoids, Kambei prefers not to fight but does what is needed. He is in search of peace, and his experiences allow him to guide Natoe and the others and show them the ways of the samurai. His chivalrous spirit and personality bring him many friends, while his deadly katana keeps his enemies at bay. He is based on Kambei from Seven Samurai
Cue is a very skilled female humanoid. She has lost her memories and fights in an arena in the "town of warriors", before being found by Natoe and included into their group. Despite her being a humanoid, she is quite kind and soft-spoken who always stands up for the rights of others. She also has superb swordsman skills and maybe on equal footing with Natoe, or even greater, as both have not reached their full potential. Upon their meeting, Ein interrupted, and attempted to take control of her mind, saying she was his "soulmate". Natoe intervened however, and he retreated. She then subsequently joined his group in hopes of regaining her memories. After defending the village, she then accompanies him to the "Library of Avalon" and is eventually captured and absorbed by Ein to become Almana. Natoe however, destroys the god-like being, but Cue is lost forever.
Considered to be the Goddess of Death, Cue has no memory of her past and is in search of answers. She seems narrow-minded, with an interest only in swords, yet she tries to protect the weak. She has many human attributes, and she is plagued by bizarre visions that only the humanoids possess. Feeling that she is in Natoe's debt since he saved her from the hands of Ein, she follows him and the group hoping to find answers to her own life and unravel the mystery of the Holy Child. She is based on Kyuzo from Seven Samurai.
A short, squat samurai who utilizes a bayonet-type spear, he is jolly and quite fun-loving, along with a great taste for sake. He joins the group after confronting the Man-in-White in the sewers, and eventually reveals he is an Agent for the city, along with the fact that was he who freed Hinato from the Steeple of Light because he felt sorry for her. However, he lost her to the humanoids, and has been trying to recover her since. He appears to be eaten with guilt for his various actions, and near the end of the game, attempts redemption by blowing himself up in a kamikaze attack against the humanoids. He is the fifth most skilled samurai in the group.
Eight loves to drink and has therefore found himself in pretty compromising situations. Eight's motto is, "Share a drink, and you are my friend." Quite the jolly fellow, he is a master spearman and handles a weapon four times his own height. After Eight joins Natoe and the rest of the group, Kambei takes quite a shining to him and appoints him as his advisor. The group, however, is unaware that Eight was, in fact, an agent and was to blame for the Holy Child's abduction. Yet he is loyal to the mission and would do anything to regain Hinata's trust. He is based on Heihachi from Seven Samurai
A big hulking man who apparently fought alongside Kanbei in the old days. He since retired from that life, and know leads a life as a bodyguard for Salla in the Red light district of the city. He has not informed anyone of his old life, and seems to harbor feelings for his client. After meeting up with Kanbei, he is convinced to return to battle to preserve peace. The fourth most skilled Samurai. Unlike the rest of the Samurai, whose preferred weapons are a katana and/or a spear, he prefers to use brute strength to get the job done.
Kambei's comrade and a former samurai himself, Rojie has given up his old lifestyle for the love of his life, Sallah. Convinced Sallah would never love him if she were to find out about his old life, he has sworn never to go back to his old ways and serves as a bodyguard and bouncer at her casino. By a wicked turn of fate, Kambei meets up with Rojie again in the red-light district and asks him to join the rest of the group to protect the villagers. After an attack on Sallah and the casino, Rojie regains his samurai spirit and agrees to join up with the group. He is based on Shichiroji from Seven Samurai.
The "smart-ass" of the group and by far the quickest in battle. He was previously a Robin Hood-like thief, but after Natoe helps avenge the death of his sister (Who died at the hands of Necryl), he joins the group out of debt and respect, thinking he can further avenge his sister by helping others in need. He is the sixth most skilled samurai, and prefers to fight using his animal-like agility and Hand-to-hand combat skills. He also carries a dagger, but never is seen using it within the game. He dies trying to protect a villager from falling rubble. He is based on Kikuchiyo from the film Seven Samurai.
Like Kambei, Totsuma is chivalrous, but he's also cantankerous, with a tendency to say spiteful things. He will make you believe that he's genuinely kind, only to turn on you with abusive words. Quite the prankster, he enjoys a good laugh at others' expense. His disposition is hard to decipher, since he never lets anyone get too close to him. Many think this is because of his sister's untimely death. Totsuma's sister was killed by a group of humanoids led by the sinister villain Necryl. Totsuma is torn between going after Necryl for revenge and joining Natoe to put a stop to the humanoids. In the end, he has one goal: to ensure that his misfortunes don't happen to someone else.
Humanoids are the main enemies of the game and make up the bulk of enemies the player faces. They consist of mass-constructed machines and cyborg-like creatures. No one knows who created them or where they came from.
Common enemies usually mass produced. Considered "Cannon Fodder", foot soldiers attack the player en masse. They lack intelligence and power meaning that they can only use the force of their overwhelming numbers to defeat their opponents.
- Type 1 humanoid- a robot that is utilized in many territories by the humanoids. It is a slender, tan-colored robot which possesses slow speed and a weak defense. The weakest and most common humanoid utilized in the game, they don't pose much of a threat to the player.
- Ninja Humanoid-A slightly more capable humanoid model resembling that of a clawed ninja. They boast a higher speed rating than the model 1 humanoids and have increased Artificial Intelligence as well. They still feature a weak defense rating however, and they don't attack very often, making them susceptible to a concentrated attack.
- Ninja Humanoid MK-II- The second version of the Ninja series. They're attack, speed, and defense is identical to the original model, (as is their appearance), but they sport two long knives attached to their limbs, permitting more efficient attacks. They also attack at rapid intervals, implicating a new jump attack in their arsenal.
- Gunbarrel Humanoid- A large Humanoid sporting a large cannon on its left arm and somewhat resembling a large bodybuilder, its armor is capable of taking a large amount of damage. It uses it gun for long range combat, and punches when the player gets close. It is slow to respond to threats, not retaliating until the player has done sufficient damage to it, and its punch attack, while powerful, can easily be guared by the player.
- Wolf humanoid- A bipedal wolf with human features, the wolf humanoid incorporates a camouflage-like ability for surprise attacks, along with sharp claws for rendering flesh. It is agile, and can take more damage than the standard robot models. It is best disposed of with a good mix of defense and offense to ward off its claw attacks.
- Zombie Humanoid- a fairly new type of humanoid, it is purple in appearance with a vaguely human type form, albeit with disfigured features. It uses an organic-like sword and is created from the corpses of dead humans. It has good defense and a competent offense.
- Gigantess- an immense robot humanoid that uses powerful fist attacks and can survive an incredible amount of punishment from the player. Its movements are slow and its lacks a distance attack (although its arms have a long reach). It is best attacked in short bursts before it retaliates with its powerful punch, as it can not be blocked and strikes with incredible accuracy.
- Frame model humanoids- a humanoid resembling the features of a woman, they have a unique physiology in that they're upper bodies consist of a see-through "cage"-like structure lacking any internal organs. They are equipped with curved like blades and move fairly slowly towards their targets. Slightly more effective than model 1's in terms of power and armor.
- Heavy humanoids- Fat humanoids with resilient skin and an obese body. They attack by rolling quickly into their opponents using their heavy girth.
More powerful humanoids that the player must fight one-on-one and serve as the games bosses. The boss characters often play a role in the game's overall plot.
The first boss Natoe encounters in the game. Roughly standing around 10", has pale skin covered in strange tattoos, and has blood red hair. Zex is a humanoid obsessed with becoming stronger and uses his superhuman speed and strength to rend enemies to pieces. Zex has a sadistic and aggressive personality, and enjoys death and destruction.
He consumes humans, ripping flesh piece by piece while enjoying his victims screams with his sharp nails. While very well built, he pales in comparison to Natoe's power, as he is disposed of without much effort.
- Zex 1.5- Zex's upgraded form. He appears exactly the same as before, except he is more aggressive in his fighting style and incorporates a quick regeneration system.
- Zex Beast- After appealing to his creator, Zex receives a more powerful upgrade after his second defeat. He becomes much larger, and his features become more mutated and inorganic; he receives metal appendages for arms. His skin is noticeably torn from his increased muscle growth, and he gains beast-like fangs along with a noticeable ferocity added to his personality. However, this leads to his demise, as his wild attacks fail to reach their targets, and his constant rampages lead to exhaustion, allowing ample opportunity for counterattack.
- Ulimate Zex - Zex's final attempt at victory after his third defeat. Due to his decapitation after the last fight, his head region is the only appendage left from his original body. He now is even larger than before, sporting a large robot body resembling a snake with arms. He now incorporates powerful ion beam attacks in his repertoire, along with powerful physical attacks. He can take amazing amounts of damage due to reinforced armor. However, rushed completion of the body and its components makes this form less than "ultimate".
Zwei is one of the many lieutenants of the Humanoid army, serving below the great Ein himself. She leads a trio of super humans, and constantly cites Natoe as her "pet". Unbeknownst to Ein, she plans to secretly overthrow him and lead the Humanoids herself. She attacks with various airborne physical attacks and magic.
The leader of the Humanoids and the first ever created. He believes the humanoids to be superior to humans, and utilizes the massive humanoid army to accomplish this task. Later in the game, it is revealed he is a "half" of the god Almana, along with Cue. He uses the magical blade Sword of Agathion and incantations via a spell book.
A ninja-like humanoid that wears a fox mask. He utilizes the Sword of Lamentation as his weapon, and features intense agility and speed. Natoe encounters him several times in the game, with White Fox mysteriously reviving after each defeat. His last encounter ends with a battle in the sewers, in which Natoe defeats him for good.
A general to Ein's Humanoid army and his previous student. Fen is a powerful humanoid that features a rapid regenerative capability that permits him immortality and almost complete immunity to attacks. He loathes his never-ending life however, and requests Natoe to kill him so he can rest in peace. His weapon is the immense and powerful Mictlan.
Necryl is a small, diminutive humanoid that resides in the blast Furnace of the scrap yard. Manipulative and heartless, he is the killer of Totsuma's younger sister. When confronted by Totsuma for revenge, he captures him and threatens to torture him. However, Natoe intervenes, killing Necryl.
The top-ranking scientist of the humanoid army and the creator of Zex. He constructs and oversees the production of Ein's army. He is very eccentric, thinking of nothing but his experiments and how to further his latest project. He commonly captures humans for expermentational purposes and revels in his research. Ein believes Drei is dedicated to the humanoid army and cause, but in reality Drei only wishes to use the war to engage in his horrifying mutations on test subjects to create the "ultimate being".
In the third chapter Vanishing love petals, the player may complete optional sidequests to encounter more boss characters. It is unknown whether or not they are canon to the story.
A hidden boss character in the game, Tsugaki-Dayuu is a kunochi-like humanoid with the ability to don a disguise of a female Geisha. In the city, she seduces men into her hotel establishment, killing them. She attempts to fool Natoe, only to be destroyed. Her weapon is to use her hair as a slicing device.
An immense and powerful humanoid that was sealed away in the city, Oniwaka is a dangerous humanoid that has killed 999 victims with his Zi Xiao Gong. After breaking his seal, Natoe encounters Oniwaka, defeating him.
Carrying the title of "The most powerful humanoid hunter", Ushiwaka was another powerful humanoid who was sealed away because of his immense power. Natoe broke his seal after defeating Oniwaka and dueled him atop a city bridge until his defeat. His weapon is the powerful and legendary Bizen Kagenori.
Gohtenmaru and Hanzo
A gigantic machine constructed from junk parts. Created by a hunter named Hanzo, Gohtenmaru features a flamethrower, needle projectiles, and large arms for offensive techniques. Natoe encounters Hanzo in the Red light district where he challenges him for possession of his swords. Natoe accepts the challenge, defeating Gohtenmaru and Hanzo in a giant arena.
A hunter who utilizes a guitar to send musical shockwaves at his foe. Pyro is an African American who wears 70's styles clothing and uses simplistic martial arts. After provoking him, he challenges Natoe to a battle, ending with his demise.
A muscular female assassin, Mozomuni is a master of agility and speed, able to leap buildings and dash similar to a ninja. She uses a mixture of poison needles, martial arts, and her knife to dispatch enemies. Natoe encounters her in the "Upper Area Ward" of the city, killing her.
A Man In White (W)
An agent of the city, W is the leader of a highly advanced group of law-abiding individuals known simply as the "Agents." In search of the sacred treasure that went missing along with the city's holy child, W joins forces with Ein to do away with Natoe and make certain that the treasure and holy child are returned to the city. W also knows a secret about one of the members in Natoe's group. Natoe will discover this secret and understand its relevance to the Seven Samurai mission only after his showdown with W.
A powerful and rich drug dealer who competes against Salla for money and power. He captures Salla, forcing Rojie and Natoe to intervene. When he realizes he is no match for Natoe, he injects himself with a strength inducing stimpack that transforms him into a giant, horrific creature. Natoe defeats this form too, killing Kyric and ending his organization.
A bodyguard for hire that serves under Kyric, Jiro was the final impasse standing between Natoe's confrontation with Kyric after defeating Kyric's henchman. He uses a variety of tools, such as a grappling hook and a small selection of projectiles, but was quickly defeated.
While searching for Rojie, Natoe encounters a "Jaguar Baller", a participant who plays in the violent sport of the same name. Challenging Natoe to a fight in the Center Street area of the city, Natoe defeats him to proceed on his quest. His weapon is the Stick.
An agent of the city, Charnel is a masked and hooded creature who has super strength. Upon Natoe's departure of the city, he attempts to stop the Samurai as they trek through the outlands. His weapon is the otem.
Chi & Mu
Two hunters that use a mixture of capoeria and speed gained from their rollerblades. Chi uses the element of fire in his attacks and Mu uses ice.
A female Hunter shaped like a worm with tentacles, Lambda has control over space and psychics in the surrounding area, able to create black holes and transform her malleable body into a dangerous puddle. Natoe subsequently defeats Lambda after her battle with Kanbei.
The leader of the city hunters. Epsilon is a clown-like warrior who carries a doll in his right arm and his rapier (named "Clown") in the other. By unknown means, Epsilon's real soul is encased in the doll he holds in his hand, meaning he cannot die unless it is destroyed. Natoe, does so, ending his life and the city's pursuement of the Sacred Child.
Klein, Weite and Lange
Three human warriors that serve under the Humanoid Zwei. They have given their humanity away for increased power and abilities. Klein is a giant man who utilizes an immense dragon's skull grafted to his arm, Weite uses a knights shield and a long sword, and Lange is magician who uses fire magic. They encountered Natoe prior to his first battle with Zwei, but even their combined forces couldn't stop him.
A tall, black monster that guards the Library of Avalon, the final stage in the game. Bound by magic to protect the Library for eternity, the Guardian uses a warping ability combined with quick slashing attacks to rend the enemy to pieces. Natoe and Cue encountered several Guardians as they progressed through the facility.
- Some of the Humanoid bosses are named after German numbers (Ein(s) is 1 in German, Zwei is 2, Drei is 3, Zex (Sechs) is 6). This may be equivalent to the ranks each Humanoind holds in the army.
- Some of the Samurai's named are puns of the names of the Samurai from Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Cue is a pun on Kyuzo. Eight is a pun on Hiehachi ('hachi' meaning 'eight' in Japanese). Rojie is a pun on Shichiroji.