Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is a list of video games with the longest scripts, referring the the amount of text/dialogue contained in a game.
This list uses three methods to determine the length of a game's script:
- Line count - The number of lines of dialogue used.
- English word count - The number of English words used. For originally Japanese games, this refers to the length of the English translated script.
- Japanese character count - The number of Japanese characters used. On average, one English word is roughly equivalent to around three Japanese characters, though it can vary depending on the game. The Japanese character count here is measured in kilobytes (KB, equivalent to 1024 bytes), due to Japanese characters varying in size from one to two bytes each.
The length of video game scripts can vary, from early video games which often had hardly any dialogue at all, to feature-length scripts found in modern action games with similar amounts of dialogues to movies (average 5,000-10,000 words), to longer RPGs with similar amounts of text as novels (average 50,000-100,000 words) to visual novel (VN) games which contain even more text and dialogues than most novels (some VN games have more text/dialogues than even the longest novels).
The amount of dialogues found in RPG and VN games is largely due to the longer length (compared to films) as well as the interactivity (compared to both films and novels); this allows many of these games to include interactive elements such as non-linear branching plots, multiple endings, and hidden/optional dialogues, which often require more writing/dialogues than the linear plots found in films or novels.
English word counts for popular epic literature:
- Mahabharata - 1.8 million words
- One Thousand and One Nights - 1.2 million words
- Bible - 1 million words
- Harry Potter series (7 books) - 1 million words
- Twilight series (4 books) - 591,434 words
- War and Peace - 561,304 words
- The Lord of the Rings series (4 books) - 550,147 words
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy (3 books) - 455,125 words
- Ramayana - 500,000 words
- Dune - 185,723 words
- Iliad - 147,317 words
- The Silmarillion - 130,115 words 
- Odyssey - 129,443 words
Video game series/compilations
- List of video games with most endings
- List of best-selling video games
- List of video game franchises