This is a list of video games with at least four or more multiple endings, starting with the titles that have the most alternate endings to the least.
This list does not include the amount of permutations (or combinations) possible for the various ending scenarios in any particular game. This is particularly the case for role-playing games; for example, several Fallout games (Fallout 2, Fallout 3, and New Vegas) have over a hundred possible permutations based on several dozen ending scenarios, while Star Ocean: The Second Story and its remake Second Evolution have over a thousand possible permutations each based on 87 (or 100 in Second Evolution) ending scenarios. This list only includes the number of individual ending scenarios for these games, though most of these ending scenarios mainly involve side-stories that have little impact on the main plot.
The differences between the multiple endings can vary depending on genre. Most role-playing games (RPG's) often have endings that do not differ much from each other, or the differences have little to no impact on the main storyline. In contrast, most of the endings in most visual novel (VN) games are often very different from one another, with each ending often having a significant impact on the main storyline. For example, many of the 85 endings in the visual novel 428: In a Blockaded Shibuya (and other VN's such as the Zero Escape series) are very different from each other and/or relevant to the main plot, whereas the similar number of ending scenarios in Star Ocean: The Second Story (and other RPG's such as the Fallout series) have little differences from each other and/or most are not as relevant to the main plot.
A unique case is fighting games. Because they often have the largest roster of playable characters, with the story mode having an individual ending for each one, these games often end up having a large number of alternate endings as a result. The BlazBlue series takes this further, by featuring visual novel style branching paths and multiple endings for each character. Soul Blade also featured multiple endings for each character.
- List of longest video game scripts
- List of best-selling video games
- Sound chip
- ↑ Brendan Main, Hooking Up in Hyperspace, The Escapist
- ↑ Star Ocean: Second Evolution
- ↑ Star Ocean: The Second Story
- ↑ 428 - The greatest experiment in non-linear story telling. Destructoid (12/17/2009). Retrieved on 27 August 2012.
- ↑ This game has the largest number of completely different endings.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Langrisser II / Der Langrisser - Mega Drive, PC-FX, PlayStation, Saturn, IBM PC (1994), Hardcore Gaming 101
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 7.8 7.9 Video games with the most alternate endings
- ↑ http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/646674-time-travelers/reviews/review-155700
- ↑ Electronic Gaming Monthly, issue 58, May 1994, page 72
- ↑ The Blue Crystal Rod Endings
- ↑ Fallout 2 
- Ending scenarios: 47, including side-story slides
- Possible permutations: 100+
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Multiple Endings: Visual Novels, TV Tropes
- ↑ Tsukihime:
- ↑ Romancing Sa-Ga 3: Cast of characters
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Tekken 6: Achievement Guide for Gallery Completionist
- ↑ Radiant Historia Endings
- ↑ http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-will-have-36-different-end-states/
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 The Case for Playing 50 Hours of Visual Novels, Giant Bomb
- ↑ No unlockable Super Street Fighter 4 characters. All 35 available from the start. Video Games Blogger. Retrieved on September 9, 2010.
- ↑ http://zeroescape.wikia.com/wiki/Zero_Time_Dilemma_endings
- ↑ Fallout: New Vegas
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 22.2 Fallout 3 endings, Fallout Wiki
- ↑ Clannad: 
- 11 'School Life' endings
- 8 'light orb' endings
- 4 'After Story' endings
- 3 'Bad End' scenarios
- ↑ http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/snes/d/togre.htm
- ↑ http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/955514-way-of-the-samurai-3/faqs/58453?page=1
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 
- ↑ http://thestanleyparable.wikia.com/wiki/Endings
- ↑ http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=310014604&insideModal=1
- ↑ http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2_ending
- ↑ http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/915115-way-of-the-samurai-2/faqs/27499
- ↑ http://ogrebattlesaga.wikia.com/wiki/The_March_of_the_Black_Queen_-_Endings
- ↑ Chrono Cross Endings. Chrono Compendium (2005). Retrieved on 2006-07-24.
- ↑ METAL SAGA FAQ/WALKTHROUGH
- ↑ Final Fantasy VI:
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 35.2 http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Metroid_endings
- ↑ http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/611500-way-of-the-samurai-4/faqs/64880
- ↑ 37.0 37.1 
- ↑  
- ↑ http://undertale.wikia.com/wiki/Endings
- ↑ http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Endings
- ↑ http://ign.com/wikis/catherine/Endings
- ↑ 42.0 42.1 
- ↑ John Szczepaniak (February 2011). Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken. Retro Gamer. Retrieved on 2011-03-16. (Reprinted at John Szczepaniak. Retro Gamer 85. Hardcore Gaming 101. Retrieved on 2011-03-16.)
- ↑ 4 campaigns  with 2 possible scenarios  each
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 Atelier Marie, Atelier Wiki
- ↑ 46.0 46.1 Sakura Taisen (サクラ大戦) - Sega Saturn/Dreamcast/Windows/Mobile/PS2/PSP (1996), Hardcore Gaming 101
- ↑ 47.0 47.1 Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Giant Bomb
- ↑ http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/j8b64/after_2_years_ive_finished_my_game_its_some_sort/c2a02h9?context=1
- ↑ 4 endings in Dragon Age and 2 endings in Awakening 
- ↑ Christine Love (2012). Analogue: A Hate Story. Retrieved on 16 August 2012. “Back in the 25th century, Earth launched a generation ship into deep space, with the goal of establishing the first interstellar colony. It dropped out of contact and disappeared, never reaching its destination. Thousands of years later, it has finally been found. […] Uncover the mystery of what happened to the final generation aboard the generation ship Mugunghwa by reading through its dead crew's logs, with the help of a spunky AI sidekick! Two pursuable characters. Five endings. A dark visual novel that further extends the non-linear style of Digital: A Love Story in a mystery featuring transhumanism, traditional marriage, loneliness, and cosplay. Welcome to the future. […] System requirements: animates gorgeously on modern computers, degrades gracefully on any netbook with OpenGL. Completely DRM free. […] By Christine Love, with art by Raide. Original soundtrack by Isaac Schankler is available for purchase.”
- ↑ Wario Land II: Chapters, Super Mario Wiki
- ↑ Addams, Shay (December 1987). "Animated Adventuring in Maniac Mansion". Commodore Magazine (West Chester, PA: Commodore Magazine, Inc.) 8 (12): 48, 110.
- ↑ Time Machine: Phantasy Star. ComputerAndVideoGames.com (January 2, 2011). Retrieved on 15 May 2011.
- ↑ 54.0 54.1 Multiple Endings: Role-Playing Games, TV Tropes
- ↑ http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_endings