Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Game Series||Mario series|
|First Appearance||Mario Bros. (1981)|
|Alter Ego:||Mr. L|
|Japanese Name:||ルイージ, Ruīji|
|Occupation:||Plumber, golfer, tennis pro, baseball player, soccer captain, dancer, etc.|
|Nationality:||Italian-American, Mushroom Kingdom|
|Family:||Mario (older brother)|
|Voice Actor(s):||Charles Martinet|
|Trademark:||Blue/Green overalls, Black moustache, Green "L" cap.|
|“||I'm Luigi, number 1!||„|
|~ Luigi, Mario Kart 64.|
Luigi is the taller, thinner, and slightly younger brother of videogame superstar Mario and the main protagonist of Luigi's Mansion. Originally, he was just "Player 2", a palette swap of Mario. Over time, he developed his own distinct features and personality. In games such as Super Mario Bros. 2 or Super Smash Bros., Luigi is often categorized as being faster or jumping higher. However, those games give him less traction and strength. Other games give him the exact same abilities as Mario.
Despite often being merely a second player, Luigi has been given a distinct role in the series and has starred in his own video game, called Luigi's Mansion. Otherwise, Luigi is a staple of the Mario universe, being included in every Mario sports game, and was even given his own rival, Waluigi, to compare to Mario's Wario. It has been hinted that Luigi has romantic connections with Daisy, princess of Sarasaland, giving Luigi an equivalent to Peach.
As well as being taller and thinner than Mario, Luigi has other distinctive traits, such as a straighter mustache, unique voice, and his own unique personality, which Mario lacks to some degree. Luigi is more timid than Mario, and is terrified of ghosts.
Luigi was first introduced in Mario Bros., a game that was not originally intended to be 2-player until Miyamoto saw Joust. He was very impressed with the concept, and wanted to introduce a second player to the gameplay, Mario's brother. His name is rumored to have come from a pizza parlor nearby the then-new Redmond, Washington headquarters of Nintendo of America called "Mario and Luigi's."
Luigi's abilites are usually identical to Mario. In some games he has better jumping and speed, but less traction, strength, and slower acceleration. In the Lugi's Mansion series, Luigi gets a Poltergust device, which is basically a superpowered vaccuum cleaner.
- Luigi's rival Waluigi, is Luigi's equivalent to Mario's Wario.
- Luigi, like Mario, does not officially have a last name.
- Luigi's tall, thin, and squirrel characteristics first distinguished him from Mario in Super Mario 2. This is because Mario 2 was basically the game Doki Doki Panic with a few sprite swaps. The original character that Luigi usurped was tall and thin with good jumping skills. These characteristics would later carry over into other games.
- Luigi's use as a comic relief character wasn't really fully fleshed out until Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. His humorous (yet silently mimed) role in this game won many fans over. He now has a small group of followers that appreciates him more than Mario.
- In New Super Mario Bros., players can control Luigi in the single player game by holding the L + R buttons when selecting a save file.