Made Man is a third-person shooter computer game developed by UK company SilverBack Studios and published by Mastertronic and Aspyr for PlayStation 2 and Windows. The game is set in the New York underworld of organized crime in the Mafia. The storyline is written by crime author David Fisher with collaboration from former mafioso Bill Bonanno.
The player assumes the role of Joey Verola, a former soldier, as he is indoctrinated into the world of American organized crime and must relive his life - every moment, every kill - as he rises through the ranks to become a made man. The storyline spans three decades of his life, from the horror of Vietnam to the urban jungle of Brooklyn.
Joey is forced into the world of crime when he saves a don's right hand man in Vietnam. The game's missions are a series of flashbacks: as Joey is being driven to the don's place to be made he reveals to his nephew how he rose through the ranks.
|This section's tone or style may not be appropriate for Encyclopedia Gamia. Specific concerns may be found on the talk page. See Encyclopedia Gamia's guide to writing better articles for suggestions. (February 2009)|
- Joey Verola: A former soldier and the main character in the game. Joey is the son of an Italian immigrant. However, when his brother dies, Joey decides to sneak into the army and fight in the Vietnam War. There he meets Johnny ‘Eggs’ Biondo, a mobster and the son of Phil Lombardi, a high-ranking made man. Upon returning to New York, Biondo introduces Joey to the incredible world of organized crime. Joey did it all as he shot his way to power in the mob. He became trusted, loved and feared. And when he learned the secret of the Vietnam coffin, he finally had it made.
- Phil Lombardi: A high-ranking made man and the father of Johnny 'Eggs' Biondo, never let any man stand in his way as he rose to the top of the Franzone crime family. ‘Philly Pies’ was big in every way, his presence dominated every room in which he stood. Nobody knows how many men he whacked, at least 20 for profit and more for anger. Immaculate in his dress and bearing, he was known as much for his style as his violent nature. After killing Eggs’ father for beating his wife, Lombardi took the boy – and his lovely mother – under his control.
- Johnny 'Eggs' Biondo: Johnny Biondo was born to the world of crime. His father was a two-bit mobster with a $100 smile, but his uncle was Phil Lombardi, a made man gunning for the top. They called him ‘Eggs’ because his brains “Got scrambled in a fight.” He was crazy enough to do anything. Given a choice between prison and Vietnam the answer was obvious. Whilst in Vietnam his life was saved in a firefight by Joey Verola. Later, in Saigon, he used Joey to help him try to steal a fortune – and failed. Back in New York he brought Joey into Lombardi’s family – only to see his own position threatened. But Eggs has no intention of letting Joey take what is rightfully his – and will do whatever is necessary to stop him.
- Jade Li: The daughter of Chinese Tong boss Chung Li. She is a fascinating combination of western sophistication and Oriental sensuality; she is as brilliant as she is ruthless. A college graduate, by the time she was 22 she was running the Asian prostitution business in New York. After her father was killed by Eggs, it was Jade Li who claimed control of underground Chinatown. Growing older, she participated in many crimes without ever having been accused – becoming a brutal killer -- but she also used her knowledge of men’s passions to cement her control, becoming a legendary figure. But she never forgot who killed her father – and her vow for revenge.
- Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Nowhere To Run
- Bachman-Turner Overdrive - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
- Unkle - Eye For An Eye
The title was originally under development at Acclaim Entertainment's Manchester studio under the name of Interview with a Made Man. When Acclaim collapsed, employees from its studio reformed as SilverBack Studios, and backed by Fund4Games, continued to work on the game. The title was shortened to Made Man and a planned Xbox conversion was dropped.
After the release of Made Man, members from the team reformed as the Manchester office of Vivendi-owned Swordfish Studios working on the console versions of World in Conflict. When, in turn, that was sold on during the Activision-Blizzard merger, it became the Manchester office of MMOG developer Monumental Games.