Medal of Honor is an upcoming first-person shooter video game in the Medal of Honor series, developed by Danger Close, a new studio within EA Los Angeles, and DICE, due for release on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 October 12, 2010. The game will be a reboot of the series, taking place during the ongoing War in Afghanistan. Medal of Honor's single-player campaign will use a heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 3, and its multiplayer will use the Frostbite engine. This game is expected to utilize dedicated servers as hinted by Sean Decker, General Manager at EA, in Atomic PC's feature article.
The game will feature a single-player campaign, in which the player will control multiple characters from both the “Tier 1” and “Big Military” perspectives. The storyline will follow several "Tier One Operators" working under the National Command Authority in Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom. Players will also play as a US Army Ranger and an Apache helicopter gunner, fighting on a larger scale than the "Tier 1 Ops" campaign, as players will then only be a small part of the "war machine". The campaign will be heavily weighted (with regards to playtime) in favor of the Tier 1 operators.
The gameplay is designed to be realistic, and to this end EA has hired several consultants from the United States military. Typical in-game objectives are expected to be similar to those issued in real life such as raiding terrorist hideouts, hostage rescues and undercover operations. The single player is set to include drivable vehicles such as helicopters, jeeps, and a quad bike.
Medal of Honor's multiplayer is being developed by EA Digital Illusions CE. Electronic Arts released multiplayer beta keys for the PS3 and PC on June 21, 2010. The Xbox 360 beta was initially delayed, but eventually opened on July 20, 2010. This featured 3 different weapon classes, two different maps and two different game modes.
Pending on a beta announcement within a 12 month period of Medal Of Honor's release, users who purchase the PS3 version of the Limited Edition will get an invite to the Battlefield 3 beta and a token to download Medal of Honor: Frontline. The Limited Edition will also feature content out-of-the-box such as early access to weapons only attainable via upgrades and a Limited Edition exclusive Heckler & Koch MP7 submachine gun.
Tier 1 Edition
After the announcement of the Limited Edition EA Los Angeles stated that they would release a special Tier 1 Edition in Europe. The Tier 1 edition will cost the same as the Limited Edition and feature the same benefits as the Limited Edition (including the Battlefield 3 Beta Key). Additionally, owners of the Tier 1 Edition will receive a code to have access to the Class Operational Tier 1, "a select group of soldiers in order to unlock the M60 Machine Gun that Rambo fans will remember". The Tier 1 Edition will be released in Europe, October 15, for all three platforms.
A new Linkin Park song, The Catalyst, was featured in the Medal of Honor trailer set released on August 1, 2010. The trailer featuring the song was directed by Linkin Park's own Joe Hahn. The song will also be included on the games soundtrack due out October 12, 2010.
The online mode created a controversy when it was revealed that in multiplayer mode, players could play as the Taliban. The developers responded by stating the reality of the game necessitated it. "Most of us having been doing this since we were 7 -- if someone's the cop, someone's gotta be the robber, someone's gotta be the pirate and someone's gotta be the alien", Amanda Taggart, senior PR manager for EA, told AOL News. "In Medal of Honor multiplayer, someone's gotta be the Taliban."
The UK Defence Secretary Dr Liam Fox criticised the game in advance of its release stating that it was "shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban against British soldiers". "At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands". "It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."
Canadian Defense Minister Peter MacKay has also criticized the game, saying he "finds it wrong that anyone, children in particular, would be playing the role of Taliban" and that "Canada and its allies have fought far too long in Afghanistan and it's not a game".
Danish veterans were appalled by the game that takes place in the Helmand province where Danish troops are stationed. Danish Defense Minister Gitte Lillelund Bech finds it "tasteless" and supports Danish veterans who oppose the game. However she has said she won't legislate on the subject and has confidence in the ability of Danish youth to discriminate between right and wrong.
Various branches of the US Military, including the US Navy and US Army and Air Force Exchange Services have banned the on base sale of the game on all United States Military Bases, worldwide, but military personnel can still buy the game off base and it will be allowed on base. The reason given, by a spokeperson for the US Navy, was that it is "out of respect for the men and women serving and their families."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Grayson, Nathan (January 26, 2010). Medal of Honor using two game engines. VG 247. Retrieved on 26 January 2010
- ↑ Medal of Honor. British Board of Film Classification (2010-08-17). Retrieved on 2010-08-18
- ↑ Medal of Honor - Coming October 12, 2010 (2010-08-13). Retrieved on 2010-08-13
- ↑ http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/find.nsf/d853f429dd038ae1ca25759b0003557c/a15c44a2c3c8b38aca25777e005d68e3!OpenDocument
- ↑ Pre-Purchase Requirements for Medal of Honor on Steam. Steam. Retrieved on 22 June 2010
- ↑ http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/22/danger-close-studio-formed-at-ea-by-medal-of-honor-team/
- ↑ Tor Thorsen (2009-11-10). 2010 Need for Speed confirmed, Medal of Honor reboot details soon. GameSpot. Retrieved on 2009-12-02
- ↑ http://www.vg247.com/2010/05/05/ea-announces-october-release-for-medal-of-honor/
- ↑ Patrick Garratt (2009-12-02). Medal of Honor reboot is shooter, will hit in 2010. VG247. Retrieved on 2009-12-02
- ↑ http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature/167434,medal-of-honor.aspx/2
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/01/06/medal-of-honor-to-feature-two-single-player-campaigns
- ↑ Jim Reilly (2009-12-02). EA Announces Medal of Honor Modern Re-boot. IGN. Retrieved on 2009-12-02
- ↑ Medal of Honor Impressions. GamingUnion.net (May 19, 2010). Retrieved on 19 May 2010
- ↑ http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2010/07/30/battlefield-3-beta-added-to-medal-of-honor-limited-edition.aspx
- ↑ http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/general-ps3-discussion/36219-medal-honor-tier-1-edition-boxart-revealed.html
- ↑ Snider, Mike (2010-07-27). Linkin Park links up with EA for 'Medal of Honor'. USA Today. Retrieved on 2010-07-28
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 New Video Game Will Let You Play as the Taliban, AOL News, August 13, 2010
- ↑ Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game. BBC (2010-08-23). Retrieved on 2010-08-23
- ↑ MacKay says Taliban video game wrong, trivializes deaths in Afghanistan. WFP (2010-08-23). Retrieved on 2010-08-23
- ↑ Danske veteraner raser over Taleban-spil. Politiken (2010-08-26). Retrieved on 2010-08-26
- ↑ Military bans video game that 'kills' US troops. The Washington Post (2010-09-08). Retrieved on 2010-09-15