Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Johto Number|| 96
|Signature Attack||Fury Swipes|
|Species||Poison Pin Pokémon|
|Weight||44.1 lbs. (20.0kg)|
|Gender distribution||0% male, 100% female|
|Ability||Poison Point / Rivalry|
|First Appearance||Pokémon Red and Blue|
Nidorina (ニドリーナ, Nidorīna) is one of 493 fictional species of Pokémon in the Pokémon franchise.
The name Nidorina comes from the Japanese word nido (二度, nido) meaning "two times" or "two degrees" because of the differences in genders and evolutions of the species, or from the Japanese pronunciation of "needle," nīdoru (ニードル, nīdoru) since this Pokémon is covered in many needle-like barbs or spines, along with an -a, which is a feminine suffix in certain languages like Spanish or Italian.
Nidorina's horn develops slowly. If it becomes enraged, it prefers physical attacks such as clawing and biting and raises the barbs that are all over its body. It emits ultrasonic cries that have the power to confuse foes.
When resting deep in its burrow, its thorns always retract. This is proof that it is relaxed. More proof of its docile and gentle nature is that whenever Nidorina are with their friends or family, they keep their barbs tucked away to prevent hurting each other. They become nervous if separated from their group.
When feeding its young, it first chews and tenderizes the food then spits it out for its offspring.
Once a Nidoran♀ evolves, it loses the ability to breed. This is in contrast to Nidoran♂, which retains its ability to breed through its entire evolutionary chain. This may be a reference to menopause.
A Nidorina first appeared in the episode "Wherefore Art Thou, Pokémon?". It evolves from a Nidoran♀ after the battle with Team Rocket, when it kisses Ralph's Nidoran♂.
A Nidorina has also been used by Whitney in her Gym Battle with Ash in the episode "A Goldenrod Opportunity".
Blue had a Nidoran♀ in Pokémon Special that evolved into a Nidorina. It later evolved into a Nidoqueen.
Trading Card Game
Nidorina first appeared in the Pokémon Trading Card Game in the Jungle series. It also appears in Gym challenge series as Giovanni’s Nidoran♀, EX Fire Red & Leaf green, Base set 2, and Legendary Collection.
- The following games and their instruction manuals: Pokémon Red and Blue; Pokémon Yellow; Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Stadium 2; Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal; Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald; Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen; Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
- Barbo, Maria. The Official Pokémon Handbook. Scholastic Publishing, 1999. ISBN 0-439-15404-9.
- Loe, Casey, ed. Pokémon Special Pikachu Edition Official Perfect Guide. Sunnydale, CA: Empire 21 Publishing, 1999. ISBN 1-930206-15-1.
- Nintendo Power. Official Nintendo Pokémon FireRed & Pokémon LeafGreen Player’s Guide. Nintendo of America Inc., August 2004. ISBN 1-930206-50-X
- Mylonas, Eric. Pokémon Pokédex Collector’s Edition: Prima’s Official Pokémon Guide. Prima Games, September 21 2004. ISBN 0-7615-4761-4
- Nintendo Power. Official Nintendo Pokémon Emerald Version Player’s Guide. Nintendo of America Inc., April 2005. ISBN 1-930206-58-5