Nuclear Dawn is an upcoming post-apocalyptic video game that blends the FPS and RTS genres. It was originally announced in February 2006 as an amateur mod for the Source engine, but in April 2009 was revealed to have become a commercial project, still using Source, aimed at Windows PCs and the Xbox 360. It is unclear whether a retail release is planned.
One player on each team is a 'commander', who directs his or her team from an overhead view. The remainder are soldiers who have standard FPS player capabilities. Drivable vehicles will be available.
The comparative roles of soldiers and commanders are described by InterWave as being:
|“|| On The Field
As a Commander
—Nuclear Dawn's ModDB profile
When Nuclear Dawn's move to a commercial product was announced, InterWave's managing director, Michiel Beenen, said:
|“||The game will be as true to its concepts as ever, with our own implementations as well as the key originals, re-applying all of the features that were lost in the final months of the product's life as a modification. As a retail product, we are not looking to extort our community, however, with financial backing the product is capable of so much more than ever before as a free mod, with all of the bells, whistles and goodies that you could dream of in a big-name title.||”|
- Team Fortress 2 (The original FPS/RTS hybrid concept behind TF2.)
- Natural Selection (An RTS/FPS hybrid mod for Half-Life.)
- Empires Mod (An RTS/FPS hybrid mod for Half-Life 2.)
- ↑ "Nuclear Dawn on Steam. Valve Corporation. Retrieved on February 9, 2010
- ↑ Nuclear Dawn Fact Sheet II - Featured Features. InterWave Studios (April 9, 2010).
- ↑ Nuclear Dawn homepage, April 2 2006. Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Retrieved on July 7 2009
- ↑ Job Opening: 3D Environment/Prop Artists. InterWave Studios (May 16th, 2009). Retrieved on July 7 2009
- ↑ Behind the scenes of the level design department. InterWave Studios (July 28 2009). Retrieved on August 15 2009
- ↑ Nuclear Dawn Nuked (June 1st, 2006). Retrieved on August 8th, 2009
- Official homepage
- Steam Community Official Game Group
- Announcement of Nuclear Dawn's move to a commercial product
- InterWave Studios
|This strategy video game-related article is a stub. You can help by adding to it.|