Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
ObsCure is a survival horror video game developed by Hydravision Entertainment and published by DreamCatcher Interactive for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and Microsoft Windows. It was released on October 1, 2004 in Europe and North America on April 6, 2005.
The focus of the story is a group of high school senior students who stumble upon a laboratory in which biological experiments are being performed. The students must then fight their way out in order to survive and warn the remaining student body.
The player takes control of five students, as he or she explores the school grounds and battle with numerous infected students. The enemies are sensitive to light, with direct sunlight destroying them. Flashlights slightly weaken them and the black aura surrounding them.
ObsCure's most notable feature is the two-player cooperative mode that allows the player to complete the campaign with a friend. ObsCure also allows players to combine items, for example taping a flashlight to any firearm. Some critics, including the review show X-Play, have stated that this was the only redeeming quality, and mocked id's Doom 3 for not implementing such a concept.
ObsCure gives players the ability to control and switch between any of five playable characters on the fly. Given that he or she will be playing in pairs of characters, the other characters will be computer-controlled A.I., or a second player can join in and take over for the computer at any time. Choices of characters includes:
- Josh Carter (voiced by Michael Sinterniklaas) - A shy and reserved reporter for the school paper. He can tell if there's anything left to do in an area, such as items to pick up, or locations that advance the storyline. First received after the opening scenario involving Kenny. It is known that he survives the events of ObsCure, only to go missing by the time of the second game. A hidden video in ObsCure II shows from the perspective of what is believed to be his camera, visiting the ruins of Leafmore High only to have him and Ashley both presumably killed or captured by Leonard's mutant son. Josh is also attracted to Shannon which is shown in the end when the two embrace.
- Stanley Jones (voiced by Scott Haze) - A stoner and a slack student at the school, good friends with Josh and Kenny. The only problems that he had in school is being a thief and hacker in computers. He is able to crack locks easier. With more skill, he can break into rooms as well. First received when entering the bottom left building on the map. He survives the events of ObsCure and ObsCure II.
- Kenny Matthews (voiced by Sam Riegel - He is the varsity athlete, and Shannon's younger brother, who is blessed with quick speed and a powerful punch. First received at the beginning. He survives the events of Obscure. In the second game, he is a playable character for a short time, until he turns into a powerful mutated monster with huge arms. He gets killed by Shannon and Stan at the end.
- Shannon Matthews (voiced by Stephanie Sheh) - Kenny's smart older sister. Shannon dresses provocatively to take the focus away from her intelligence. She provides tips on puzzles and heals other's wounds for them. First received after the opening scenario involving Kenny. She survives the events of ObsCure and ObsCure II. She is able to heal 20% more with a normal health item.
- Ashley Thompson (voiced by Tara Platt) - She is a cheerleader, and is also Kenny's girlfriend. She has the ability to rapid-fire a pistol, and deals more damage with most weapons. First received after the opening scenario involving Kenny. She survives the events of ObsCure only to go missing (presumably dead or captured) before the events of ObsCure II, going with Josh to investigate the partially destroyed ruins of Leafmore High and suddenly getting attacked in the process. She is mentioned in ObsCure II and a picture of the group is shown with both her and Josh.
- Dan - A student that was held in a prison and is playable when Kenny saves him, however he cannot help the player for long as he immediately gets killed when escaping a mutated experiment. He will appear again in the game clips as a fully mutated experiment.
While each of these abilities sounds useful, none of them are necessary to complete the game. Each character can perform the same physical acts even if it takes some characters longer and/or more effort than others. The puzzles generally aren't taxing enough to require much help, and if any teen cast members should die during the adventure, the player may simply continue on with those remaining.
- Denny Walden: A biology teacher of Leafmore High. He appears several times; sometimes offering help, other times obstructing the main characters in a frantic manner. The player later discovers this is due to him recently obtaining knowledge of his employers actions.
- Ms. Elisabeth Lucy Wickson: The nurse of Leafmore High. There is more to her than there appears to be. Apparently, she has seemingly been involved in the Friedman plans to some extent.
- Herbert Friedman: The principal of Leafmore High. A former scientist and co-founder of Leafmore High. Herbert and his brother Leonard discovered a plant in their expeditions that had a possibility to regenerate cells indefinitely. Lacking the proper funds and test subjects, they instead found a school and perform secret experiments in a lab beneath it. A rash of student disappearances start. He is over 100 years old.
- Leonard Friedman: The twin of Herbert and cofounder of Leafmore High. He is the first person to be mutated by the spores of the plant he and his brother discovered, as is shown in a reel of film recovered by the students. His brother then seeks to find a cure for him through experimentation. Herbert's last words to Leonard are "Leonard, forgive me... I almost found the formula. I almost did it..."
- Mr. Garrison: The school janitor of Leafmore High who was apparently an ex-police officer. He locks the player into a room at the beginning without realizing he or she is there and later on has an interesting run-in with some monsters. Later on in the game when you go into the Janitors room, you will find Mr Garrison ripped open on the floor.
24 tracks, written and produced by Olivier Derivière.
- Main Titles
- Empty School
- Something Hidden
- First Ones
- Blowing Up a Wall
- Being Surrounded
- Herbert Friedman
- Who is Herbert?
- Wickson, the Nurse
- Infested Place
- Give Us Eternity
- The First Queen
- Pure Suite
- Wickson and Leonard
- The Second Queen
- Gardener's Story
- Herbert's Secret Office
- Old Movie
- Friedman's Place
- Finding Leo
- Final Fight
- Leonard's Death
- End Titles
There are also 2 tracks that play during the game that are not in the official soundtrack.
In the German version there were many songs from Sportfreunde Stiller.
The Spanish version of the game features the song Supersonica performed by Dawholeenchilada for its ending credits. The music video for the song is unlockable as a bonus for completing the game.
The French version of the game features the song Cinglés performed by Enhancer for its ending credits. The music video for the song is unlockable as a bonus for completing the game.
The storyline of Obscure II takes place two years after the first game, the kids who survived are now at college living normal lives. They discover a strange plant on campus and things start going awry. The game was released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2 and Wii.
Obscure 3 is in development according to Joshua Swanson. It has been mused for DS and Jesse America has said in the playlogic forums that there are plans for a next gen version of ObsCure 3, it is unknown which version is in development.