Pokémon Gold Version and its sister game Pokémon Silver Version, are the names of two versions of the second generation Pokémon games.
- 100 new Pokémon creatures, including new evolutions & pre-evolutions
- New attacks
- Day/Night system
- Pocket organized bag
- Ability for Pokémon to hold items
- Pokémon Breeding & Pokémon Eggs
- Ability to re-challenge trainers (via PokéGear)
- Time-Based Events (e.g. Bug-Catching Contest)
- Time-orientated Pokémon encounters
- Backwards compatibility with Pokémon Red Version, Pokémon Blue Version, Pokémon Green Version & Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition
- Specialized Poké Balls
- Improved interface (Shows if Pokémon was captured and Current experience points)
- Shiny Pokémon
- New Steel and Dark Types
- Splitting of the Special Stat into Special Attack and Special Defense
- New evolution methods (Happiness and Time-orientated)
There are 10 Pokémon specific to Pokémon Gold Version
In addition, there are 18 Pokémon that can only be obtained through trading with Pokémon Red Version, Pokémon Blue Version, Pokémon Green Version or Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition.
Celebi cannot be obtained in either Pokémon Gold Version or Pokémon Silver Version, and must be obtained via a Nintendo promotion or Gameshark.