Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Professor Elvin Gadd|
|Game Series||Mario series|
|First Appearance||Luigi's Mansion 2001|
Professor Elvin Gadd, usually referred to as just E. Gadd, made his first appearance in Luigi's Mansion. E. Gadd is a mad, yet friendly, scientist who creates various types of gadgets.
In the game Luigi's Mansion, Luigi enters a mansion he has apparently just won in a competition he did not enter. He is promptly attacked by a ghost and saved by a strange old man wearing a white lab coat and thick glasses. This small man sucks the spector up with his mysterious vacuum. E. Gadd explains that his lab is located just down the hill from Luigi's mansion. Luigi tells E. Gadd that Mario, Luigi's brother, has disappeared somewhere within the mansion. Being the kindhearted man that Professor Elvin Gadd is he decides to help Luigi by giving him two unique inventions - the Poltergust 3000 and the Game Boy Horror. Later on the professor reveals a third invention - the Portrificationizer. With this machine Luigi can transform captured specters into paintings. The professor continues to give Luigi useful tips throughout the game as well as less helpful information, such as his favorite homemade dish, pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade.
Professor E. Gadd makes another appearance in the game Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. In this game E. Gadd cameos as the proprietor of the Starbeans Coffee Company. Here he provides use of his latest new invention the BeanBean Machine. With this invention Mario and Luigi can transform beans into various energy drinks. In Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Gadd invents a time machine that Peach uses (and breaks, dumb broad) causing 'time holes' to connect the present Mushroom Kingdom with the past version of itself. Through a time hole, Mario, Luigi, Baby Mario, and Baby Luigi meet young Gadd, their meddling results in his lab being destroyed, so he decides to go buy a new lab out in Boo Woods, apparently setting the stage for Luigi's Mansion.
In the game Super Mario Sunshine Mario and company head off to a tropical resort, Isle Delfino. After the plane lands it becomes apparent that the island is plagued with graffiti and goo. At the Delfino Airstrip Mario finds FLUDD, which says: "Thank you for purchasing this item from Gadd Science, Inc." With FLUDD, Mario is instructed to clean off the graffiti and goo on Isle Delfino.
It is interesting to note that not all of the professor's gadgets are used with a benign intent. In the game Super Mario Sunshine Bowser Junior appears and says: "this is my magic brush. When I draw with it, all my wishes come true. A strange old man in a white coat gave it to me." This description fits the professor quite well. There is further confirmation in that a logo of Gadd Science, Inc. is apparent on FLUDD, the boxes which contain nozzles for FLUDD, and the Gaddbrush. So not only were Gadd's gadgets used to cause the problems on Isle Delfino, they were also used to solve them.
Professor E. Gadd also makes an appearance in several titles in the Mario Party series of games. In Mario Party Advance Professor E. Gadd's inventions can be purchased with Coins earned in mini-games. E. Gadd provides the Gaddlight in Mario Party 4. Mario Party 6 gives our beloved professor a board of his very own titled E. Gadd's Garage.
There's a rumor that Gadd's appearance is a caricature of a certain older Nintendo executive.
Inventions of Gadd Science, Inc.
- Poltergust 3000 (Luigi's Mansion) - A modified vacuum cleaner which sucks stuff up including specters. It can also blow out ice, water, and fire. It also makes a return in Mario Power Tennis where Luigi uses it as his defensive Power move.
- Portrificationizer (Luigi's Mansion) - Turns captured specters into paintings as well as transforming Mario back from his painted form.
- Game Boy Horror (Luigi's Mansion) - A portable device which bears a resemblance to the Game Boy Color. This gadget is used by E. Gadd to monitor and contact Luigi. It has the ability to store data including a map and anything Luigi has collected. It also contains the Boo Radar to find hidden spherical objects.
- Gaddlight (Mario Party 4) - Scares away Boos.
- FLUDD (Super Mario Sunshine) - Short for Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dousing Device. It cleans off graffiti, goo, and gunk from any surface. FLUDD can also be used to hover, blast off into the air, and dash across land as well as water. FLUDD has an artificial intelligence and can communicate with a voice.
- Gaddbrush (Super Mario Sunshine) - Paints graffiti on walls. Can also be used to conjure up evil goopy creatures. Bowser Junior also utilizes the Gaddbrush to perform special moves in Mario Power Tennis.
- Gameboy Horror SP (Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga) - With this item equipped, enemies drop rare items more often.
- BeanBean Machine (Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga) - The BeanBean Machine transforms beans that Mario and Luigi have collected into energy drinks. These energy drinks differ by what types of beans Mario and Luigi uses.