Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Portal: Action-Adventure||Prototype at|
Prototype (typeset as [PROTOTYPE]) is an action-adventure game published by Activision and developed by Radical Entertainment. The game was released in North America on June 9, 2009, and in southwestern parts of North America as well as Oceania on June 10, and was released in Europe on June 12.
The game is set in New York City as a deadly virus infects people and a shady military organization called Blackwatch attempts to put an end to it. The protagonist of the story is named Alex Mercer (voiced by: Barry Perry), who has enemy-absorbing and shapeshifting abilities. He can retain memories, experiences, biomass and physical forms of enemies consumed. Alex can also shapeshift portions of his body into more specialized forms of weapons for attack, or defense . All of these together are intended to give players multiple ways to complete their objectives.
Prototype was released on Steam as well as in retail stores and topped the Steam sales on the week of its release. The Xbox 360 version of Prototype was the top selling game of June 2009 in North America, with over 419,900 units sold. This made the game a Platinum Hit. The game received generally positive reviews, earning an aggregate score of 80% on Metacritic. GameSpot gave the game a 8.5/10, praising the game for its "intriguing storyline and protagonist" and "massive arsenal of moves and abilities", but criticized the game for its "occasionally fiddly controls" and "dull scenery". The Escapist said the game was a perfect "summer fling," praising the combat and movement systems as well as the unique mechanic of the Web of Intrigue. The Onion A.V. Club gave the game an "A" ranking, calling the movement style "exhilarating" and saying it was a "mature, science-fiction superhero fantasy that somehow makes players feel simultaneously powerful and vulnerable."  SPOnG.com's Marcus Dyson awarded the game 84%, stating that "The complex controls can be daunting, but once mastered, unveil a huge array of dramatic moves and impressive weapons."
- ↑ Prototype tops weekly Steam sales charts. News.bigdownload.com (2009-06-15). Retrieved on 2011-03-25.
- ↑ Faylor, Chris (2009-07-16). June NPD Sales: Prototype Tops Another Slow Month. Shacknews. Retrieved on 2009-07-16.
- ↑ Prototype for PlayStation 3 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic. Metacritic.com (2009-06-09). Retrieved on 2011-03-25.
- ↑ Prototype Review for PlayStation 3. GameSpot (2009-06-09). Retrieved on 2011-03-25.
- ↑ The Escapist : Review: Prototype. Escapistmagazine.com (2009-06-18). Retrieved on 2011-03-25.
- ↑ Jones, Scott (2009-06-22). Prototype | Games | Game Review. The A.V. Club. Retrieved on 2011-03-25.
- ↑ Dyson, Marcus (2009-06-19). SPOnG PROTOTYPE Review. SPOnG. Retrieved on 2009-10-16.