Qwak! is a 1 player arcade game by Atari Inc., originally released in 1974. It simulates duck hunting, where by players fire at flying on-screen ducks using a rifle with a light gun attached to the end.
Marsh reeds and a tree branch are provided by a screen overlay representing perspective of looking up from the ground.
The game can be set by the operator to have time limits, extended time and free games.
One duck flies across the screen at a time, giving the player three shots to hit it. A hunting dog runs out and collects the fallen prize if the player was successful with their aim.
- In 1982, Atari Inc. developed a prototype for a duck themed game also similarly entitled Qwak. With the goal of "Help mama duck and her three ducklings get home safely", the player shifts picture blocks into place to create a safe path for the ducks to get home. There were 15-puzzles with cute animations, and a player's score is determined by how long the ducks are on-screen and by how many get home safely. The developers are unsure whether this was originally designed for a touch-screen or not. It could have been a joystick game that happened to be in development when they were interested in evaluating touch-screen technology. They felt that the touch-screen would make a more intuitive interface, but were apparently wrong. The most common comment at the focus-group was "could you put a joystick or buttons on it. It would be easier"...
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Atari Coin-OP/Arcade Systems. Retrieved on 2007-12-28.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Atari: The Lost Years of the Coin-Op, 1971 – 1975, Part III. Retrieved on 2007-12-28.
- ↑ Qwak (1982) at KLOV. Retrieved on 2007-12-28.
- ↑ System 16 - 6502 Colour Raster Hardware (Atari). Retrieved on 2007-12-28.
- ↑ Controller's History Dynamite from 1UP.com. Retrieved on 2007-12-28.