Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Rage of the Dragons (レイジ・オブ・ザ・ドラゴンズ) is a 2002 tag team head-to-head fighting game released for the Neo Geo hardware by Playmore (currently SNK Playmore). The game was co-developed by the Mexican team Evoga and the Japanese company Noise Factory. Evoga worked on the initial planning and designing, while Noise Factory worked on the final graphics, sounds and programming.
Rage of the Dragons features a tag team system, in which the player takes control of two characters and can switch between one or the other during gameplay. The character who is not being controlled will slowly recovers part of his or her energy while the other is fighting. The player can perform special combos in which both characters attack an opponent at the same time for added damage.
An auxiliary meter located at the bottom of the screen that slowly fills up when an attack connects with an opponent. When the meter is full, special moves can be performed (Ex: Counter Attacks, Super Moves, etc.).
Plot and characters
There are a total of fourteen playable characters in Rage of the Dragons. The player can select from one of the seven default pairings, or create a custom pairing with nearly 80 possible combinations. The player will see a hidden ending if they complete the single player tournament with a Billy and Jimmy pairing.
- Template:Flag icon Jimmy (James Lewis)
- Template:Flag icon Billy (William Lewis)
- Template:Flag icon Lynn (Lynn Baker)
- Template:Flag icon Sonia (Sonia Romanenko)
- Template:Flag icon Annie (Annie Murakami)
- Template:Flag icon Radel
- Template:Flag icon Pepe (Jose Rodriguez)
- Template:Flag icon Pupa (Pupa Salgueiro)
- Template:Flag icon Jae-mo Kang
- Template:Flag icon Mr. Jones (Jones Damon)
- Template:Flag icon Oni (Oni Inomura)
- Template:Flag icon Cassandra (Cassandra Murata)
- Template:Flag icon Elias (Elias Patrick)
- Template:Flag icon Alice (Alice Carroll)
There are also two boss characters in the game, who are fought by the player at the end of the single player tournament. Unlike the regular characters, these bosses only fight by themselves with no partners.
Evoga originally envisioned Rage of the Dragons as a sequel to the Neo Geo fighting game version of Double Dragon released in 1995. However, Evoga were unable to use the intellectual rights for the characters (which were purchased by the company founded by former Technos Japan staff Million, the developers of Double Dragon Advance), and thus Rage of the Dragons was turned into a homage to the Double Dragon series instead of an official sequel. The two lead characters in Rage of the Dragons, Billy and Jimmy Lewis, share their names with the protagonists of the Double Dragon series, Billy and Jimmy Lee, while the boss character Abubo is based on Abobo from the original Double Dragon. Two supporting characters in Rage, Linda (Abubo's female assistant) and Mariah (Jimmy's deceased girlfriend), are also based on Double Dragon characters.
Jimmy, Lynn, Elias and Mr. Jones would later appear as hidden guest characters in Power Instinct Matrimelee, a fighting game also produced by Noise Factory. Coincidentally, Atlus, the company that originally produced the Power Instinct series, published Double Dragon Advance for Million.
- Rage of the Dragons at SNK Playmore
- Rage of the Dragons at Noise Factory
- Rage of the Dragons at Museum of the Game
- Rage of the Dragons at GameFAQs
- Review of Rage of the Dragons at Neo-Geo.comfr:Rage of the Dragons