In 1997, Remedy created a program called Final Reality, a 3D benchmark program. In November 1997, Remedy created a new company that would handle its 3D benchmark program called Futuremark. That program would turn into 3DMark, a popular 3D benchmark program that determines the performance of a video card with the latest graphics.
Before forming Remedy, four of the founding members were in the demoscene group Future Crew. Originally there was some industry speculation that Remedy was made up entirely of Future Crew members, but this was dismissed by Joe Siegler of partner-company 3D Realms.
The Max Payne series of games are based on the character Max Payne and his living nightmare through New York City. Payne is a fugitive undercover cop who is framed for murder and hunted by the NYPD and the mob. The Max Payne series is best known for popularizing bullet-time in a video game as well as being influenced by film noir. In 2002, Remedy sold all rights to Max Payne to Take-Two Interactive for US$10 million and 969,932 shares of stock.
LucasArts logo dispute
In 1998, LucasArts approached Remedy Entertainment, citing that their logo was copied from the top portion of the LucasArts logo and threatening legal action. Remedy was by that time already in the process of redesigning their logo, so they complied by taking the old logo offline from their website and introducing a new logo a little later.
Video games developed
- Death Rally – MS-DOS (1996), Windows (2009)
- Max Payne – Windows (2001)
- Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne – Windows (2003)
- Alan Wake – Xbox 360 (2010)
- ↑ Number of employees. Eurogamer (2010-02-19). Retrieved on 2010-02-19.
- ↑ 3D Realms News – Remedy Entertainment & Future Crew
- ↑ http://www.take2games.com/index.php?p=pr&release=Max%20Payne%202%20Announced%20by%20Take-Two&page=1
- ↑ Official site. Retrieved on 21 July 2009.
- ↑ Siegler, Joe (July 17, 1998). Remedy Entertainment & Lucasarts. 3D Realms. Retrieved on 2009-08-30.
- Remedy's official website
- MobyGames' profile for Remedyet:Remedy Entertainmentfr:Remedy Entertainment