Racing on RRV subdivides into different race formats.
Grand Prix has two formats: Standard and Extra. The GP names depend on the difficulty you select (Easy, Medium or Hard) at the start of the game.
In Standard, the player races factory stock cars from the various manufacturers, racing in 4 races. There is one GP in the Standard class.
- Basis GP/Frontal GP/Fountain GP Qualifying Rank
- Round 1 Park Town (4th place to advance)
- Round 2 Outer Pass (3rd place to advance)
- Round 3 Above the City (2nd place to advance)
- Round 4 Bayside Line (win race to complete class)
Extra features extensively modified cars of the stock versions, and the format is split up into 4 different GP's.
- Heroic GP/?/Spartan GP Qualifying Rank
- Round 1 Bayside Line (4th place to advance)
- Round 2 Sunny Beach (3rd place to advance)
- Round 3 Park Town (2nd place to advance)
- Round 4 Outer Pass (win race to complete GP)
Prizes unlocked: Acquisition of Extra class car, Sunny Beach track unlocked
- Blast GP/?/Tornado GP Sudden Death
- Round 1 Green Field (1st place within time limit to advance)
- Round 2 Sunny Beach (1st place within time limit to advance)
- Round 3 Park Town (1st place within time limit to advance)
- Round 4 Bayside Line (win race within time limit to complete GP)
Prizes unlocked: Acquisition of Extra class car, Green Field track unlocked
- Knight GP/?/Duke GP Reverse Qualifying Rank
- Round 1 Park Town (same as Heroic)
- Round 2 Green Field (same as Heroic)
- Round 3 Sunny Beach (same as Heroic)
- Round 4 Above the City (same as Heroic)
Prizes unlocked: Acquisition of Extra class car, all reverse tracks unlocked
- Throne GP/?/? Qualifying Rank
- Round 1 Airport Oval (1st place in 10 laps to complete GP)
Prizes unlocked: Acquisition of Oval engine, extra "Tricolor" paint scheme, new song (if you have 250 miles)
- Maximum GP [Only available in Hard mode]
- Round 1 Sunny Beach (4th place to advance)
- Round 2 Green Field (3rd place to advance)
- Round 3 Outer Pass (2nd place to advance)
- Round 4 Above the City (win race to complete GP)
A special race is unlocked after the player fulfils certain requirements. The Pac-Man GP runs with the iconic Namco character Pac-Man in a roadster and the 4 Ghosts Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde on scooters.
Sunny Beach Length: 13477ft
A reworked version of the Novice course in Ridge Racer. Standard course running through town to the shoreline.
Green Field Length: 19251ft
A reworked version of the Advanced course in Ridge Racer. Extension of Sunny Beach, with high speeds the norm.
Park Town Length: 11574ft
A simple Figure 8 track with long straightaways and simple turns.
Above the City Length: 17037ft
An extension of Park Town, the track experiences sudden elevation drops and irregular corners.
Outer Pass Length: 14878ft
A slightly modified version of Sunny Beach. Defined with a mountainous terrain in the first half of the track.
Bayside Line Length: 25688ft
Longest track in Ridge Racer V, meant to challenge the most experienced drivers. This is an extension of Outer Pass.
Airport Oval Length: 11246ft
Setup similar to a NASCAR race, this ten-lap race is highlighted by the use of special Oval Engines; high power engines meant for full throttle racing.
Kamata Fiaro (resembles the adapted Mazda MX-5 from previous games)
A drifty and light car, best suited for beginners.
Danver Toreador (resembles Nissan Silvia)
A wild and uncontrollable car best noted for its abundance of torque. A drifty car geared for intermediate drivers.
Rivelta Solare (resembles Ferrari 512TR)
A pure sports car, only suitable for advanced drivers.
Kamata Fortune (resembles Honda Civic)
Strong grip car, which compensates for its lack of torque. Is the only car in the game with a FF drivetrain.
Rivelta Mercurio (resembles Mitsubishi 3000GT)
A symbol of Ridge City racing, this car balances speed and grip.
Himmel E.O. (resembles Porsche 911 somehow)
Best grip car, however its rear mounted engine is not for everyone.
"There are only two kinds of racers in this battle: a winner and a loser."[ ]
Duelists are mostly known by the letter R ('Rival') next to their name and 1st place records (separately) in both Beginner and Advanced class Time Attack records.
In order to challenge a Duelist, both time records need to be beaten with using both Beginner and Advanced class cars with the manufacturer of your choice (as aforementioned in the 'Regular Cars' section).
Danver Spectra (resembles Plymouth GTX) Driver: PLUTO 'Explosive acceleration is this rival's trademark.'
A drift-type car with gut-wrenching acceleration at the expense of all-round functionality. Can only be obtained by defeating "Pluto" in an Above the City Duel.
Rivelta Crinale (a.k.a. "13th Racing") (resembles Ferrari F40) Driver: DEVIL 'This rival sports tricky tactics'
A fast drift-type car which slides very easily. This car has been reworked from Ridge Racer and is well known for its black paint job, yellow-devil logo and the yellow number "13".
Can only be obtained by defeating "Devil" in a Green Field Duel.
A fast and nimble car most well known for peerless handling. Can only be obtained by defeating "Spirit" in a Bayside Line Duel.
Kamata Angelus (a.k.a. "White Angel")(resembles McLaren F1) Driver: ANGEL 'This Rival is known to have no weaknesses.'
Another legendary car reworked from Ridge Racer Revolution, well known for its deceivingly pristine white paint job, blue angel logo and the blue number 0.
This is the fastest car in the game, as well as being a grip-type car which doesn't drift. Can only be obtained by defeating ANGEL in a Sunny Beach Duel.
Namco Pac-Man (The Red Roaster driven by himself.)
Exceed 3,000 kilometers (1,500 miles) in total distance in order to get this red roaster and unlock the Pac-Man Race at the same time.
The 4 Ghosts
Win the Pac-Man mode to obtain the scooters in the Park Town battle.
- Fogbound by the Boom Boom Satellites
- DRFTDVL by Takeshi Ueda (THE MADCAPSULEMARKETS) (not released on soundtrack)
- DareDevil by Kohta
- RareHero2000 by sanodg
- TsuiTsui by U
- Euphoria by Kohta
- Paris by sanodg
- LOLO 1010 by U
- Gammon by U
- Samurai Rocket by Kohta (with some remix from Genpei Tōma Den)
- HydroPrism by U
- GripMillenium by Kohta
- Burnout by Mijk van Dijk
- Junx by Kohta (remixed by Mijk van Dijk)
- PowerSlide by Mijk van Dijk
- Nightride by Mijk van Dijk
- Electroglide by Mijk van Dijk
- MotorPac5 by Kisaburo
- On The Painted Desert (Vocal Mix feat. Dice) by the Boom Boom Satellites (Music for end credits, not used during racing or on the released soundtrack)
- Namco Ridge Racer V site
- Ridge Racer V: Arcade Battle at Museum of the Game
- IGN page for Ridge Racer V
- IGN guide for Ridge Racer V
- Ridge Racer V at MobyGames