SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation (also known as SOCOM: Confrontation) is a Third-Person Tactical Shooter video game for the PlayStation 3. Slant Six Games developed the game instead of the original SOCOM developer Zipper Interactive. The game was released on October 14, 2008 on the PlayStation Network and Blu-ray Disc in North America and March 2009 in Europe. The game is the fifth title in the SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs series and the first for the PlayStation 3. An online-only shooter in the same vein as Warhawk, Confrontation came packaged the same way as Warhawk, with the retail version coming packaged with the official PlayStation 3 Bluetooth headset or as a standalone game, and also released as a downloadable title from PlayStation Network. Teamwork is essential to success in the game, as this phrase says: "Alone I'm Lethal, as a team I Dominate". The player is able to customize their character, choosing from a list of pre-defined items, using mix and match. This includes armour (light, medium and heavy; both leg and torso; for commando and mercenary), camoflauge (head, shirts, pants, armour, straps and mask), and weapons attachments (two slots, weapon specific; e.g. front grip and suppressor on the M4A1 assault rifle).
Similar to previous games in the series, SOCOM: Confrontation focuses on online play and the global community. Also, the game features several playable special operations forces teams: the U.S.'s Navy SEALs, U.K.'s Special Air Service (SAS), Germany's Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK), Spain's Unidad de Operaciones Especiales (UOE), and France's 1er Régiment Parachutiste d'Infanterie de Marine (1er RPIMa).
- This new installment of SOCOM will feature brand new maps as well as the map "Crossroads" instead of the larger styled maps that are seen on the most recent PS2 titles, SOCOM 3 and Combined Assault.
- Available on the PlayStation Network and in retail stores on Blu-ray disc bundled with the Sony bluetooth headset
- Weapons likely will remain customizable much like they were in SOCOM 3: scopes, foregrips, suppressors, bipods, etc.
- Lobby System will be similar to SOCOM 2 and 3
- Custom Ranked and Custom Unranked Games
- Ultimate 32-player online combat experience featuring stunning high-definition visuals, advanced physics, ballistics, impact and destruction modeling
- It is not yet clear whether multiple people will be able to play online from a single PlayStation 3, though it is possible
- Rich interactive and destructible environments (i.e. shell casings can bounce off environment and make noise when stepped on or kicked)
- Full support of the SIXAXIS™ and Dualshock 3 wireless controller, offering greater control
- Choice of playing as various International Special Forces
- Advanced voice communication systems
- Comprehensive player customization including fully featured load out, encumbrance and unique uniforms
- Up to seven different game modes are available on each map
- An Advanced Party System, players can form a team with their friends and easily join an online game
- Regional combat or challenge teams from around the world
- Additional themed downloadable content packs available post launch(Maps, Skins, and equipment) - Location based packs ( Different countries)
- Choose between classic view or the new over-the-shoulder view(as an option)
- Advanced Player Uniform and Clan Uniform Customization
- Choose from 5 different Special Ops squads worldwide (available to clan members only):
- Navy Sea, Air, and Land (SEALs, United States)
- Special Air Service (SAS, United Kingdom)
- Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK, Germany)
- Unidad de Operaciones Especiales (UOE, Spain)
- 1er Régiment de Parachutistes d'Infanterie de Marine (1er RPIMa, France)
- In-depth clan support- leaders can customize the entire clan's camo pattern.
- Community support- team tournaments and clan ladders will reward top players with different weapons and game items
The Dutch KCT and the Italian COMSUBIN, Are announced for the 1.60 patch for the game. Each Force will include new heads, voices and outfits. Each of the Forces will also don special weapons: the 417 assault rifle for the Dutch KCT and the SPAS 15 shotgun for the Italian COMSUBIN Special Forces.
Additionally, four new weapons will be available to all players with the 1.60 patch. These are the IMI UZI (9mm Sub-Machine Gun), Barrett M82A1A, AK-74 and SR-25. The patch will also include a number of weapon updates and adjustments to existing weapons.
Beyond patch work, Slant Six has also been working on "a major content release/pack," which will be revealed later this month.
SOCOM: Confrontation received mixed reviews at its North American launch as critics cited technical issues, lag, missing features that were advertised, and only seven maps. The game is widely considered a flop and disappointment by fans. To this day, complaint posts are common on the official SOCOM forums. A major bug present at the game's release caused many player's systems to crash while either looking for a match or at other various points during gameplay.
Recent patches have fixed the majority of these problems. After the availability of patch 1.50, servers have witnessed a marked increase in participation and SOCOM servers have seen impressive numbers. Tournaments were announced at the launch of 1.50 and Clan participation is on the increase.
- ↑ Kollar, Philip (2008-03-26). SOCOM Confrontation Marching Out on September 16. 1UP.com. Retrieved on 2008-03-26
- ↑ SOCOM Confrontation Special Forces Unveiled (news at 1UP.com)
- The best site for the SOCOM: Confrontation news, rumors, maps, and everything SOCOM!
- SOCOM: Confrontation announced
- Sony announces SOCOM: Confrontation for PS3
- SOCOM: Confrontation's developer's website
- SOCOM: Confrontation @ Gamespy
- Interview with Developer (newsweek)
|SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs | SOCOM 2 | SOCOM 3 | Combined Assult | SOCOM Confrontation|
|Fireteam Bravo | Fireteam Bravo 2 | Fireteam Bravo 3 | SOCOM Tactical Strike|