Secret Maryo Chronicles is a free, open source two-dimensional platform game. It was developed and is maintained by the Secret Maryo Chronicles development team, led by Florian Richter ("FluXy").
Secret Maryo Chronicles has been described as a Super Mario Bros. clone by PCtipp. It began as a SourceForge project in January 2003 and has been expanded up the latest release in 2009. The game is an OpenGL-based and has an original soundtrack and a built-in game editor. It has been released under the GNU General Public License, Version 3.
Secret Maryo Chronicles was listed as the number one open source video game by APC in January 2008. Stern praised the speed of the game and its puzzle solving. The game was named one of the most promising open source games of 2008 by El Heraldo and praised as a well-made non-violent game for children by heute.
Graphics are rendered at a high resolution at the time of the official build then upon the games first run the sprites are re rendered at a level that will look best based upon your chosen desktop resolution.The project is currently in the process of moving from a multi tool environment for graphics creation to a model that is Inkscape centric. The graphics and shading follow a fairly strict set of guidelines as set by the team to ensure uniformity and quality of the graphics and the game as a whole. During the process of moving graphics from their varied proprietary formats to the free SVG format the whole game is being redesigned. The redesign is mainly to move away from its former image as a clone and towards an original but familiar image. The current state of development graphics is strong with many new sprites in the works including one or more enemies to be replaced or added before the 2.0 version.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sbarski, Peter (January 21, 2008). Top 5 best (free) open source games. APC. Retrieved on February 8, 2010.
- ↑ Secret Maryo Chronicles - The Creators. Official website. Retrieved on February 8, 2010.
- ↑ Secret Maryo Chronicles (German). PCtipp (May 11, 2009). Retrieved on February 8, 2010.
- ↑ Secret Maryo Chronicles - History. Official website. Retrieved on February 8, 2010.
- ↑ Secret Maryo Chronicles - Disclaimer. Official website. Retrieved on February 8, 2010.
- ↑ Scheibe, Carsten (May 14, 2008). Maryo macht auch Spaß (German). Stern. Retrieved on February 8, 2010.
- ↑ Los juegos Open Source más prometedores del 2008 (Spanish). El Heraldo. Retrieved on February 8, 2010.
- ↑ Przikling, Georg H. (December 20, 2009). Das Christkind muss warten (German). ZDF. Retrieved on February 8, 2010.