Silent Hill 3 is a survival horror game developed by Team Silent, and published by Konami for the Sony PlayStation 2. It is the third installment in the Silent Hill survival horror series and is a direct sequel to the first Silent Hill game. It was released in Japan on July 3, 2003, and in North America on August 6, 2003, and was ported to the PC later that year.
Set seventeen years after the events of Silent Hill in which Harry Mason defeats the god of the town cult and is given a baby girl to care for, Silent Hill 3 focuses on Heather, a teenage girl who finds herself being drawn into Silent Hill's alternate reality. She discovers that the cult plans to use her to birth their god, and becomes caught in a conflict within the cult.
Silent Hill 3 was mostly well received by critics, especially in its presentation, including the environments, graphics and audio, as well as the overall horror elements and themes that are continued from past installments.
Gameplay in Silent Hill 3 resembles closely that of its two predecessors, the three main gameplay elements being combat, exploration, and puzzle solving. Combat, as exploration, takes place in third-person view, with the player able to equip weapons found throughout the game. Heather may also block and perform side-step maneuvers to avoid enemies. Weapons that can be acquired include a shotgun, sub-machine gun, a maul and even a katana. As a new addition to the items list, players can also acquire beef jerky at various points in the game, which can be laid down on the floor in order to distract various monsters, particularly the dog-like creatures. As a series staple, the flashlight and radio return, the latter of which crackles when monsters are in proximity, but which may be turned off if the player so chooses.
Players can set the difficulty of both the combat and puzzle elements of the game separately, with easy, medium and hard being offered in both cases. In the case of the puzzle difficulties there is a large difference between medium and hard; one of the early puzzles on the medium setting requires only simple pattern recognition, whilst the hard version of the same puzzle requires considerable knowledge of five Shakespeare plays to complete. The game also features unlockable weapons and costumes that increase replayability.
Silent Hill 3 is set in the fictional universe of the Silent Hill series. Seventeen years before the start of Silent Hill 3, Harry Mason defeated a god brought forth by the resident cult of Silent Hill and at the ending, was given a baby girl to care for.
The protagonist and playable character of Silent Hill 3 is Heather, the teenaged adopted daughter of Harry Mason. Claudia Wolf, the cult's priestess who plans to bring about a paradise on Earth, serves as the game's antagonist. As Heather attempts to unravel the reasons why the cult of Silent Hill is pursuing her, she encounters a private investigator named Douglas Cartland; Vincent, a member of the cult who detests Claudia; and Leonard Wolf, Claudia's abusive father.
After a brief nightmare, Heather awakens at a restaurant in a shopping mall. Before she can leave the mall, Douglas Cartland confronts her, claiming to have information about her past. Heather evades him, but upon reentering the mall, discovers it is mostly abandoned except for monsters. She encounters Claudia, who speaks cryptically about Heather's fate. Heather suddenly collapses in severe pain, but having recovered when Claudia leaves, uses an elevator, and finds herself in the Otherworld version of the mall — similar to the original mall, but dark, decaying and full of the monsters. After defeating a giant worm creature, she finds herself in the original shopping mall and runs into Douglas, who apologizes and confesses that Claudia had hired him to find her. Heather leaves him in the mall and resolves to take the subway home.
After traveling through the subway and an office building, Heather finally arrives back home. There she discovers her father has been killed by a monster under Claudia's orders out of revenge and to "fill [Heather's] heart with hatred". After further cryptic messages as to Heather's role in the proceedings, Claudia leaves her to fight the monster, telling her that she will be waiting for her in Silent Hill.
Heather subsequently resolves to go to Silent Hill, intent on killing Claudia. She meets with Douglas in her apartment and accepts his offer to drive her there. On the journey there, Douglas explains that Vincent left him a message, telling them to look for a man named Leonard, whilst Heather reads a memo left by her father before his death, which briefly recounts the events of Silent Hill, and reveals that she is the baby girl that was left to Harry Mason (her adoptive father) at the conclusion of the first game, after he destroyed the god birthed by Alessa Gillespie. Claudia seeks Heather to birth the cult's god, since Heather—the girl given to Harry, now grown up—is in fact a reincarnation of Alessa.
Upon arriving in Silent Hill, which is once more abandoned and shrouded in fog, Heather checks Brookhaven Hospital for Leonard. Shortly after entering the hospital, she discovers a ringing telephone in an abandoned room and answers it. The caller eventually reveals that he is Claudia's father, Leonard. He disapproves of Claudia's actions to rebirth the god, like Heather, and initially agrees to help her, offering the use of an artifact later identified as the "Seal of Metatron". When the two meet, however, Leonard, who takes the form of a monster, tries to kill Heather after discovering she is not a member of the cult. Heather subsequently defeats him.
Returning from the hospital, she meets Vincent who directs her to a church via the Amusement Park, purportedly at Douglas' request. Upon Heather's arrival at the amusement park, she finds herself back in the Otherworld, identical to her nightmare at the start of the game, but this time manages to find a key to halt the roller coaster long enough to jump off safely. She later finds Douglas, wounded after an encounter with Claudia but still alive. Leaving him behind at his request, she faces the ghost of her dark half in a duel on a spinning carousel. She finally reaches the Church and confronts Claudia with Vincent nearby, but at the final confrontation Claudia stabs him to death, and dismisses the Seal of Metatron he had planned to use as useless.
Heather collapses in pain under the pressure of holding the god inside her, the anger and hatred she holds towards Claudia only intensifying it, and begins to turn blood-red all over. Heather vomits out the fetal god after she swallows the tablet within the pendant that her father had given her. Horrified, Claudia pushes Heather before she can stomp on the fetus, picks it up, and swallows it, only to die in the process of birthing it; Heather then fights and defeats the god, which is only partly-formed owing to its premature birth.
Three endings appear in the game. The Normal ending, which is the only ending available on the first play-through of the game, sees Heather and Douglas survive and Heather ostensibly returning to a normal life. The Possessed ending, appearing after a scored game with more than 4,000 points obtained, shows that Douglas has been murdered, apparently by Heather, now under the influence of the still-living god. This ending is achieved through killing over 100 enemies on normal or hard mode on an additional play-through. Finally, the Revenge ending, accessible by certain game requirements, sees the return of the "UFO" endings of the previous games, where Heather complains to her seemingly alien father, Harry, who promptly flies a group of spaceships to Silent Hill, blowing it up.
Development for Silent Hill 3 began after the release of Silent Hill 2, and was carried out almost simultaneously with development of another Silent Hill title that was intended to explore a different direction for the franchise and not be part of the main, numbered series; known as Room 302, this game would eventually become integrated into the main series as Silent Hill 4: The Room. The development team for this iteration was smaller than that working on Silent Hill 2, with around 40 people working on the game, made up of the core team from the second title and some newcomers.
Like all Silent Hill games, one of Silent Hill 3's influences is the film Jacob's Ladder; one of the Subway platforms is named Bergen Street Station, the station Jacob was inquiring about at the beginning of the film. The developers also cited horror writer Stephen King as another of their influences.
Much like the previous installments, Silent Hill 3 also incorporates references drawn from real life actors and actresses. As the only female protagonist of the series, the creators originally named Heather "Helen", but it was dubbed too old-fashioned and was changed. It was later decided that the character would be named after voice actress Heather Morris who lent her talents to the video game's protagonist. Heather was modeled after French actresses/singers Charlotte Gainsbourg and Vanessa Paradis in several rough sketches.
Douglas Cartland's name came from American actor Douglas Fairbanks. The developers stated that his name "just seemed to suit him" and that there was no true connection to his namesake. During the sketching process, his character was modeled after actors Giancarlo Giannini and Ian Holm. It was noted that even during the concept designs that Cartland was designed as a middle-aged detective.
Claudia Wolf's character was considered the most difficult to design. Early sketches revealed that the creators wanted to dress her like a holy woman in various robes, and at one point she had a shaved head covered entirely with tattoos. Eventually, the creators decided to make her appear like an average woman, modelling her on Julianne Moore, and then removing her eyebrows, so that the "normal" appearance was slightly skewed. She was first named "Christie", but it was deemed too "cute" and the character was eventually named after actress Claudia Cardinale.
Vincent's name originated from actor Vincent Gallo in connection with his unshaven look. Early designs were based on actor Ethan Hawke and focused on capturing a look of "derangement and moodiness."
The original soundtrack for Silent Hill 3, composed by Akira Yamaoka, was released in Japan on July 16, 2003 and in North America on August 6, 2004. The song "You're Not Here", used in the game's introduction sequence, was included in the PS2 port of Dance Dance Revolution Extreme. It is also included in the Silent Hill Experience UMD media pack and is featured during the closing credits of the Silent Hill movie released in 2006. The game's soundtrack is notable as the first using vocals prominently. Most of the vocalized tracks are performed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (credited as Melissa Williamson). The end credits song "Hometown" is voiced by Joe Romersa.
|Silent Hill 3 Original Soundtracks (70:18)|
|1.||"Lost Carol" (performed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn)||0:37|
|2.||"You're Not Here" (performed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn)||3:46|
|3.||"Float Up from Dream"||1:22|
|4.||"End of Small Sanctuary"||1:42|
|5.||"Breeze - in Monochrome Night"||4:14|
|6.||"Sickness Unto Foolish Death"||3:06|
|7.||"Clockwork Little Happiness"||3:24|
|8.||"Please Love Me... Once More"||1:54|
|9.||"A Stray Child"||5:28|
|12.||"Letter - from The Lost Days" (performed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn)||3:54|
|13.||"Dance With Night Wind"||5:21|
|14.||"Never Forgive Me, Never Forget Me"||2:19|
|16.||"Walk on Vanity Ruins"||2:44|
|17.||"I Want Love" (performed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn)||2:45|
|18.||"Heads No. 2"||1:13|
|19.||"Memory of The Waters"||1:46|
|20.||"Rain of Brass Petals"||3:39|
|21.||"Flower Crown of Poppy"||2:13|
|24.||"Hometown" (performed by Joe Romersa)||6:04|
|25.||"I Want Love (Studio Mix)" (performed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn)||4:40|
|26.||"Rain of Brass Petals - Three Voices Edit (Bonus Track)" (remixed by Interlace)||5:01|
|GameRankings|| 83.79% (PS2)|
|Metacritic|| 85/100 (PS2)|
|GameSpot|| 8.4/10 (PS2)|
|GameSpy|| 8.7/10 (PS2)|
|GameZone|| 8.5/10 (PS2)|
|IGN|| 8.8/10 (PS2)|
Silent Hill 3 received positive reviews, garnering an 83.79% rating at Game Rankings for the PlayStation 2 version, and a 70.42% rating for the PC version. Its Metacritic rating for the PlayStation 2 version is 85/100, whilst the PC version has a rating of 72/100. The PC version fared less well than the PlayStation 2 version, with some PC reviewers drawing unfavourable comparisons of the game's combat and gameplay to other combat-based games found on the PC platform, whilst others highlighted some technical issues, such as poor gamepad support.
Positive reactions were given to the general horror and atmosphere of the game, including "truly horrifying sections" whilst it "packs some genuine scares" and "the feeling of eeriness and doom is almost overwhelming". The story told as part of the atmosphere was also received positively, making for a "satisfying, coherent sequel", although its status as such meant that "it may be a little tough to follow for people who haven't played the first game", despite "a laudable effort to help people catch up". In addition, the graphics, audio and general high production values were all credited with adding positively to the atmosphere.
Negative criticism largely stemmed from the lack of any innovations in gameplay; the game "doesn't do anything major that the series hasn't done before", "does little in term of innovation" and "doesn't offer much beyond the other titles in the series". Also criticised was the game's camera and control system which, despite having been improved from previous games, was described as "awkward, disorienting, and motion sickness-inducing". Some criticism also stemmed from the length of the game, as it "can be easily beaten in a handful of hours".
- ↑ Silent Hill 3. Konami-Europe. Retrieved on 2007-08-06
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Perry, Douglass (2003-08-05). IGN: Silent Hill 3 Review (PS2). IGN. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 Book of Lost Memories (per Translated Memories translation). Konami, 2003. Pg 66-67, "Silent Hill 3 Character Commentary".
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Hudak, Chris (2003-08-03). Game Revolution Playstation 2 Review Page - Silent Hill 3. Game Revolution. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Winegarner, Tyler (2003-08-06). Silent Hill 3 for PlayStation 2 Review. GameSpot. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Reed, Kristan (2003-05-22). Silent Hill 3 - Page 1. Eurogamer. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 IGN: Silent Hill 3 Review (PC). IGN (2003-12-11). Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Wiz, Tha (2003-12-18). Silent Hill 3 Review - PC. GameZone. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 Williams, Bryn (2003-08-10). GameSpy.com - Review - Silent Hill 3 (PS2). GameSpy.com. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Heather: After the god died, the girl reappeared. She was holding a baby in her arms. Before she died, she gave the baby to my father. He loved me just like I was his very own daughter.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Heather: But in the end, that god was killed by a single person: my father, Harry Mason. I guess it wasn't much of a god if it could be killed by a human being. But I think Claudia is trying to do the same thing again. And I've been chosen as the sacrifice. / Douglas: You've got some kind of power in you too? Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Heather: Hey, wait! What's going on? Where is everybody? Those weird monsters... / Claudia: They've come to witness the Beginning. The rebirth of Paradise, despoiled by mankind. Heather: What are you talking about? Claudia: Don't you know? Your power is needed. / Heather: How should I know? / Claudia: I am Claudia. / Heather: So what? / Claudia: Remember me, and your true self as well, also that which you must become. The one who will lead us to Paradise with bloodstained hands... / Heather: Claudia, right? Did you do all this? / Claudia: It was the hand of God.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Douglas: Heather, I need to speak with you. My name is Douglas Cartland. I'm a detective. / Heather: A detective? Really? Well, nice talking to ya. [...] / Douglas: This is very important. It's about your birth. / Heather: I'm not interested. Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Heather: And who are you? / Vincent: The name's Vincent. Don't forget it, OK? I'm on your side. / Heather: So you say... But how do I know you're not with her? / Vincent: Her? You mean Claudia? Please, don't lump me together with her! She was totally brainwashed by that crazy old hag.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Heather: Who are you? / Leonard: Leonard Wolf. I'm sorry. I thought you were my daughter. / Heather: Claudia is your daughter? / Leonard: Oh, so you know her, do you?Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ On-screen Text: It's being invaded by the Otherworld. By a world of someone's nightmarish delusions come to life... Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Heather enters the caged elevator to the Otherworld mall, where she spots a monster on the other side of the wire. Heather: Is this a dream? It's got to be! ...Not even a kid could believe in this. But when am I gonna wake up?Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Heather: What? It's the shopping mall just like before. Am I back?Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Heather: You're in on this with that Claudia, aren't you? / Douglas: Claudia... What about her? She asked me to find you. That's all.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Douglas: Where are you going? / Heather: I'm taking the subway home. / Douglas: What should I do? / Heather: Hell if I know.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Heather: Did you do this? / Claudia: You’re late. / Heather: But why!? Why!? / Claudia: Revenge for 17 years ago for one thing. If not for him our dream would have come true! And then, he took you away from us. / Heather: I'll get you for this! / Claudia: There is another reason — to fill your heart with hatred. It must be this way. One day you will understand.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Claudia: You must try to remember me, and your true self as well. You will birth a God and build an eternal Paradise.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Claudia: Besides, he killed your father. I merely gave the order. (A monster can be seen in the darkness.) So, what will you do? I'll be waiting, where all begins: in the town of Silent Hill.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Douglas: What'll you do now? / Heather: I'm going to Silent Hill. [...] I don't know what kind of hell is waiting for me there, but I've got no other choice. I don't care about God or Paradise... If that's what she believes in then fine. But she won't get away with what she did. When I find her, I'll kill her myself. / Douglas: Revenge doesn't solve anything. / Heather: Maybe not, but that's what I'm going to do. / Douglas: I'll give you a ride.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Douglas: I just met a guy named Vincent... / Heather: Vincent? / Douglas: He's a friend of yours, right? / Heather: I'm not sure. / Douglas: He said when we get to Silent Hill to look for a guy named Leonard. And he gave me this map.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Heather: A woman named Dahlia, she tried to summon the ancient god of the town. She offered up her very own daughter. / Douglas: That's crazy. / Heather: Maybe so, but it worked. The girl gave birth to a god.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Douglas: I'm gonna head for that Leonard guy's house. You check out the hospital.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Leonard: You plan to kill her, don't you? / Heather: I'm sorry. But she... she killed my father. / Leonard: She's a fool, but she's still my daughter. I was going to forgive her if she changed her ways. [...] I think I can be of help to you. I have a seal. Please.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Vincent: By the way, I forgot to ask you. Did you get the seal of Metatron? / Heather: What's that? / Vincent: You don't have it!? Leonard was carrying it! / Heather: You mean this thing?Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Leonard: Don't play innocent with me. You can't fool me anymore. The seal is mine. God has appointed me to be its guardian. The only thing you'll get from me is a gruesome death! Appearing out of the water, Leonard takes the form of a large monster. / Heather: Leonard, is that you? / Leonard: Death to all who turn their backs on God!Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Vincent: Don't you want to know what the message is? / Heather: Yeah, what did he say? / Vincent: "The church is on the other side of the lake". / Heather: Church...? I wonder what he meant by that. / Vincent: You don't understand? That's where Claudia is. Across the lake, on the north side. If you're going you'd better go through the amusement park. It's probably the only way in now.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Heather: Douglas! / Douglas: You're late. / Heather: Are you hurt? / Douglas: I can't move my right leg. I think it's broken.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Claudia: The Seal of Metatron! / Vincent: Now your stupid dream is over! / Claudia: Oh, that's just a piece of junk. What do you think you can do with that? Do you really think it can kill God? I'm sorry to see you fell for my father's foolishness.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Claudia: Alessa, I'm saddened that you didn't agree to this on your own. But I thank you for nurturing God with all the hate in your heart.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Looking inside her pendant, Heather sees the red tablet. Heather: Dad... / Claudia: What are you doing? Heather swallows the tablet, and moments later, her skin turns red again, and she vomits violently.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Claudia: Alessa, what have you done - what did you swallow!? Heather vomits the fetal God onto the floor. / Heather: Looks like God didn’t make it. Heather goes to step on the creature. / Claudia: Stop! God is...! / Heather: Claudia...! Claudia swallows the worm. / Claudia: Alessa, you cannot kill God. Her skin turns red, and she is clearly in pain. I will... I will birth God... If you can’t do it Alessa, I will...Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Douglas: Is it really over? / Heather: Not yet. You’re still alive. She approaches with her knife, but starts laughing. Just a joke. / Douglas: You’ve got terrible taste. Heather: I’m sorry. / Douglas: Heather. Did you... / Heather: You don’t have to call me that. I’m not hiding anymore. / Douglas: You want me to use your real name? What was it again... / Heather: Cheryl. The name my father gave me. / Douglas: You gonna let your hair color go back too? / Heather: I don’t know. Don’t you think blondes have more fun?Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Heather: I’m home, Dad. Listen.... Something crazy is going on. / Harry: Cheryl, you’re back. What happened? / Heather: Well, it’s like this.... Some time later... / Heather: And that’s about it. / Harry: (With squeaky voice) Oh, my poor little Cheryl. I can't believe that! I'm going to Silent Hill, and I'm gonna bust some heads! / Heather: Oh, Dad! You’re the coolest.Konami (Team Silent). Silent Hill 3. (Konami). PlayStation 2. (2003-05-23)
- ↑ Reed, Kristan (2004-07-25). Silent Hill 4: Two Guys In A Room Interview. Eurogamer. Retrieved on 2008-09-02
- ↑ Silent Hill 4: The Room Preview. 1UP (2004-09-17). Retrieved on 2008-09-02
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 41.2 IGN: Silent Hill 3 Interview. IGN (2002-06-12). Retrieved on 2008-09-02
- ↑ SoundtrackCollector: Soundtrack details: Silent hill 3. SoundtrackCollector. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ Dance Dance Revolution Extreme Hints & Cheats. GameSpot. Retrieved on 2008-09-21
- ↑ Bedigian, Louis (2006-04-11). Silent Hill Experience Review - PSP. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ Silent Hill (2006) - Soundtracks. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ Johnson, Michael. Silent Hill 3 Original Soundtracks. Monsters at Play. Retrieved on 2008-09-21
- ↑ 47.0 47.1 Silent Hill 3 Reviews. GameRankings.com. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 Silent Hill 3 Reviews. GameRankings.com. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 49.0 49.1 Silent Hill 3 (ps2: 2003): Reviews. Metacritic. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 50.0 50.1 Silent Hill 3 (pc: 2003): Reviews. Metacritic. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 51.2 Osborne, Scott (2003-12-09). Silent Hill 3 for PC Review. GameSpot. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 52.2 52.3 Rausch, Allen (2004-01-16). GameSpy: Silent Hill 3 Review. GameSpy.com. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ 53.0 53.1 53.2 53.3 Bedigian, Louis (2003-08-11). Silent Hill 3 Review - PlayStation 2. GameZone. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ Dingo, Star (2003-08-04). Review: Silent Hill 3 (PS2) - from GamePro.com. GamePro. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- ↑ Consolidated Financial Results for the Six Months Ended September 30, 2003 (PDF). Konami (2003-11-13). Retrieved on 2008-10-05
- ↑ Fahey, Rob (2003-07-14). "Japan Charts: Silent Hill 3 brings terror to the top of the charts". Gamesindustry.biz. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/japan-charts-silent-hill-3-brings-terror-to-the-top-of-the-charts. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- Official Silent Hill 3 site (Konami Europe)
- Silent Hill series (Konami Japan)
- Official Silent Hill USA Forum
- Silent Hill 3 at GameSpot
- Silent Hill 3 at MusicBrainz
- Silent Hill 3 at MusicBrainz
- Silent Hill 3 at MobyGames
|Silent Hill series|
|Silent Hill - 2 - 3 - 4: The Room - Origins - Homecoming - Shattered Memories - Downpour|
|Play Novel - Arcade - Orphan - Book of Memories|
|Silent Hill - Silent Hill 2|