The game had had two official patches in its lifetime, and one unofficial patch released by the community.
This patch fixed problems with TNT2, GeForce, Intel 810, and Riva 128 3D cards.
This patch addressed a number of bugs, which included allowing gravity mines to be fired while cloaked, and made the sensor jammer more effective by preventing ships from firing at what they cannot see. There were also single-player mission changes and a host of other improvements.
- Pathing Improved: Ships have less trouble moving in groups or navigating in areas with lots of objects.
- Rally Point Improved: Ships will not try to occupy the same location when they exit the shipyards.
- Strategic AI in Instant Action and Multiplayer has been given better handicaps on medium and hard difficulty. Including sped up build time and reduced cost.
- In Instant Action/Multiplayer games the AI will now cloak ships if it can; more often on medium, and most of the time on hard.
- The Chain Reaction Pulsar weapon has been modified so that it will not be able to hit cloaked ships and has been balanced to be less powerful.
- In standard Multi-player games each team will begin with a starbase, 2 construction ships, and a scout vessel.
- Implemented Instant Action save functionality.
- Improved game stability with issues related to the [ESC] key being depressed.
- Fixed several weapons related crashes.
- Fixed crash related to Corbromite Reflector and saved games. If the Corbromite Reflector was active prior to saving the game it could cause a crash on loading of the aforementioned saved game.
This unoffiical patch added Widescreen support, additional resolution support, and several fixes for running the game under Windows 7.