The Star Trek Simulation Forum (abbreviated STSF) is a Star Trek simming organization that provides numerous online text-based role-playing games. It was created in July 2002, and has served as the forum of the official Star Trek website operated by Paramount Pictures since October of that year.
Originally a splinter group of an organization called Spacefleet Online (SFOL), the former official Star Trek role-playing game of America Online, the Star Trek Simulation Forum provides an extensive range of online chat-based role-playing games to those who are interested in the genre. Functioning with at least half a dozen games that have been in operation for over a decade, it was established on July 31, 2002. Games open to the public started to take place on the official Star Trek website thirteen days later. The original 5 games in STSF were the U.S.S. Manticore, U.S.S. Hood, U.S.S. Arcadia, U.S.S. Reaent, and the Sky Harbor Aegis (formerly known as Starbase Aegis). Several of these games had formerly been in other sites, but were moved to STSF.
In October 2002, STSF became the simming organization recognized and approved by the official Star Trek website, www.startrek.com. It remains the only forum to hold such standing since Paramount Pictures discontinued its sponsorship of Star Trek: A Call To Duty in 2000 after discontinuing service contracts with MSN.
From an initial launch with five sims, the organization has grown and now boasts membership of several hundred. With an extensive training and educational program in place to assist new players, it remains one of the few simming organizations online to provide such a system. In February 2003, due to extensive growth, the official Star Trek website added a separate chat room solely for the use of the forum.
By April 2007, the Star Trek Simulation Forum had in operation eight general public and eleven member only games.
In the Summer of 2008, the organization became an adjective in discussions about the release of Star Trek Online with posters referring to individuals preferring the role-playing techniques similar to the Star Trek Simulation Forum as "STSFers".
The Star Trek Simulation Forum organizational structure has remained virtually unchanged since its conception. Several different levels of users exist. The first level consists of general users who participate in games called Academy Sims. These are considered part of the training and educational program to teach new players how to properly participate in the forum. Missions are usually short and have a duration of one hour. The second level is the member user, a graduate of the primary level. These individuals participate in more complex and longer Advanced Sims.
All games are run by individuals called game masters (GMs). These individuals often hold the most senior management positions of all sims in operation. The top level of the organization is called the GM Council, a group of seven individuals who act as the controlling body of STSF. Lead by the Forum Leader and Assistant Forum Leader, it includes individuals holding positions managing personnel, training, recruitment, website management and public relations.
GM Council Members
- Admiral Atragon-9 — Forum Leader
- Vice Admiral Sovak — Assistant Forum Leader
- Rear Admiral FredM — Director of Personnel
- Rear Admiral Huff — Training Manager
- Rear Admiral BluRox — Recruiting Manager
- Rear Admiral Calvert — Web Master
- Rear Admiral Moose — Public Relations Manager
A complete list of all GMs within the organization can be found by clicking here.
Star Trek Simulation Forum maintains eight public games. Any one can play in these games, and with the exception of the Red Star Night Club these games count towards graduating from their training system.
- Sunday — Game runs at 3 PM ET in the Holodeck.
- Monday — Game runs at 10 PM ET in the Holodeck.
- Tuesday — Game runs at 9 PM ET in the Holodeck.
- Wednesday — Game runs at 10 PM ET in the Holodeck.
- Thursday — Game runs at 9 PM ET in the Holodeck.
- Friday — Game runs at 9 PM ET in the Holodeck.
- Saturday — Red Star Night Club is a in-character chat and lounge game open to all players. Red Star starts at 11 PM ET in the Holodeck.
- Saturday — Game runs at 12 AM ET in the Holodeck.
Member Only Games
- USS Excalibur — The USS Excalibur sim is a post-DS9/Voyager era sim currently set in the Gamma Quadrant. It meets at 10:00 PM ET every Sunday in the Excalibur chat room. It is currently being run by Captain Corizon and Left Ear JoNs.
- USS Challenger — The USS Challenger is set during the post-STVI era. Challenger meets every Sunday at 11:00 PM ET in the Challenger chat room. It is currently being run by Captain Seiben and Commander Zen Ba'aylo.
- USS Manticore — The USS Manticore is Star Trek Simulation Forum's Black-Ops Sim, and is set in the Post DS9/Voyager era. Manticore meets every Monday at 10:00 PM ET in the Manticore chat room. It is currently being run by Admiral Atragon and Captain Sovak.
- USS Republic — The USS Republic is currently set in the post DS9/Voyager era and is one of the longest running games at Star Trek Simulation Forum. Republic meets every Monday at 11:00 PM ET in the Holodeck. It is currently being run by STSF BluRox and STSF KBear.
- USS Hood — The USS Hood is currently the only Star Trek Simulation Forum game set in the TOS-era. Hood meets every Tuesday at 10:00 PM ET in the Ready Room. Captain Huff and Commander Zareh.
- IKC Qob/Lakota — The IKC Qob/Lakota is a joint mission between Starfleet and the Klingon Empire set in the post-DS9/Voyager era. Qob meets every Tuesday at 11:00 PM ET in the Ready Room. It is currently being run by Captain Rosen.
- USS Agincourt — The USS Agincourt is the only "future" sim currently in operation at Star Trek Simulation Forum taking almost two decades after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis. Agincourt meets every Wednesday at 10:00 PM ET in the Agincourt chat room. It is currently being run by Colonel Harper and STSF Kansas.
- USS Arcadia — The USS Arcadia, like the Republic, is one of the longest running games at the Star Trek Simulation Forum. It is set in the post-DS9/Voyager era. Arcadia meets every Wednesday at 11:00 PM ET in the Ready Room. It is currently being run by Captain LoAmi and Commander Alces.
- USS Reaent — The USS Reaent is set in the post-DS9/Voyager era aboard a refitted Ambassador class starship and has been running for over a decade. Reaent meets every Thursday at 10:00 PM ET in the Ready Room. It is currently being run by Captain FredM and Commander Ridire.
- RES Talon — The RES Talon is the only Romulan Star Trek Simulation Forum game in operation. Talon meets every Thursday at 11:00 PM ET in the Holodeck. It is currently being run by Khre Riov tRex and Daise'Erel'Riov N'Dak
- USS Comanche Creek USS Comanche Creek is a New TOS sim based on the timeline from the eleventh movie. Comanche Creek meets every Friday at 9:00 PM EST. It is currently being run by Captain Calestorm and STSF Scooter.
- Sky-Harbor Aegis — Sky Harbor Aegis is a station-based sim set in the post-DS9/Voyager era. Sky Harbor Aegis meets every Friday at 10:00 PM ET in the Ready Room. It is currently being run by Ambassador Drankum and Commander Chirakis.
- www.stsf.net — The official Star Trek Simulation Forum website.
- www.startrek.com — The official Star Trek website.
- ↑ STARTREK.COM: FAQ - Community. Retrieved on 2008-09-27.
- ↑ STARTREK.COM: Star Trek Role Playing & Sims (STSF). Retrieved on 2010-09-16.
- ↑ STARTREK.COM: Community. Retrieved on 2007-04-20.
- ↑ Star Trek Simulation Forum: Schedule. Retrieved on 2007-04-20.
- ↑ Star Trek Online: A Simulationist Manifesto for Star Trek Online. Retrieved on 2008-09-27.
- ↑ Star Trek Online: RPG vs. MMO Gamers. Retrieved on 2008-09-27.
- ↑ Star Trek Simulation Forum: Frequently Asked Questions. Retrieved on 2007-04-20.
- ↑ Star Trek Simulation Forum: About Us. Retrieved on 2007-04-20.
- ↑ Star Trek Simulation Forum: Schedule. Retrieved on 2008-09-27.
- ↑ Star Trek Simulation Forum: Schedule. Retrieved on 2008-09-27.