Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Stratagus was a free cross-platform real-time strategy game engine used to build other games that is written in C. Lua is used as the configuration language. SDL, gzip and bzip2 are among the external libraries used.
In June 15, 1998 Lutz Sammer released the first public version of a free Warcraft II clone for Linux he had written, named ALE Clone. In 1999 it was renamed to Freecraft.
Because of its history, all Stratagus games currently inherit the Warcraft II style gameplay. In June 2003, a cease and desist letter was received from Blizzard Entertainment, who thought the name Freecraft could cause confusion with the names StarCraft and Warcraft, and that some of the ideas within the engine were too similar to Warcraft II. The project halted on June 20, 2003.
Soon the developers regrouped to continue the work by the name of Stratagus, with a change in the aim: former interest in using the data-files from WarCraft had diminished; the project using the data-files from Warcraft II was split-off into the new and separate project Wargus and the free media set imitating Warcraft II was discontinued. Development on Stratagus was permanently halted on June 10, 2007. The Stratagus developers are now working on Bos Wars, which uses its own modified version of the Stratagus engine.
Playable Stratagus-based games are: medieval Battle for Mandicor, Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness port Wargus, futuristic Battle of Survival, historically-inspired Commander Stalin, StarCraft port Stargus, and space age Astroseries. Of these, only Wargus is complete.
Basing on Lua as their primary scripting language, virtually all the abilities in the engine have been made available so that a user of Stratagus does not have to make changes in the original source unless he wishes to add new features not presently supported by the engine.
- Game engine recreation
- bnetd a similar in style project for another Blizzard product that was shut down due to a court action.
- ↑ Howard Wen, Stratagus: Open Source Strategy Games linuxdevcenter.com July 15, 2004
- ↑ FreeCraft Cease and desisted by Blizzard - Slashdot
- ↑ Stratagus - LinuxDevCenter
- ↑ Stratagus homepage..
- ↑ Battle for Mandicor - Filewatcher
- ↑ Battle for Mandicor - FreshPorts
- ↑ Bos Wars - EeeSite
- ↑ Bos Wars - Software Informer
- ↑ Bos Wars - LinuxLinks
- ↑ Bos Wars - Moblin.org
- ↑ Bos Wars - FOSSFORUS
- ↑ Bos Wars - Softpedia
- ↑ Commander Stalin: Real Time Strategy Game - Web Upd8
- ↑ Commander Stalin: Open Source Free Strategy Game - open-tube
- ↑ Commander Stalin - FOSSFORUS
- ↑ Commander Stalin - Softpedia
- ↑ Commander Stalin - T U X | Blog™ - Linux Software & Games Reviews
- ↑ n0p's homepage..
- Stratagus Homepage
- Astroseries Homepage
- BoS Wars Homepage
- Commander Stalin Homepage
- Stargus Homepage
- Wargus Homepage
- Battle for Mandicor Homepage