Stronghold 3 is an upcoming 2011 real time strategy computer game developed by Firefly Studios and published by SouthPeak Games. The game is the sixth in the series after several spin-offs as well as a MMORTS. It is the sequel to Stronghold, released in 2001, and Stronghold 2 released in 2005. Unlike previous games in the series which were published by Take-Two Interactive, the game will be published by SouthPeak Games. SouthPeak Games being the now parent company of Gamecock Media Group publisher of the Stronghold Crusader remake Stronghold Crusader Extreme.
The game mechanics in Stronghold 3 will be more like those of the original Stronghold, instead of Stronghold 2 (which was less well-received). Buildings in the game will be more dynamic; the housing capacity and appearance of hovels will change as they are built further from the player's castle, and the keep will be upgradeable. The game engine will utilise Havok physics, which will affect the effectiveness of traps, such as rolling logs, and cause buildings and walls to crumble more realistically.The game engine will also feature a new weather system, and advanced lighting.
Another addition to the game is a fog-of-war mechanic for night-time gameplay, during which all the areas outside of the immediate vicinity of the player's castle will be hidden in darkness, although the player will be able to employ a variety of fire-based devices to illuminate areas of the map.
Developers have also stated that the option for players to launch diseased cows from trebuchets will return, and have hinted at the possibility of firing multiple smaller animals, such as pigs or sheep.
Firefly Studios had previously claimed in 2008 that they would be working on Stronghold 3 then Crusader 2 due to the high demand by fans, but only after the completion of Dungeon Hero. However, in 2010 the status of Dungeon Hero is uncertain after being delayed numerous times. In 2009 when asked if they had any other unannounced game in development other than Dungeon Hero and Stronghold Kingdoms, the answer was that they still had one more game in development. The game was further teased in 2009 when Firefly stated in their newsletter that they had "something very big in the pipeline" which would be revealed in 2010, this game would later turn out to be Stronghold 3.
The game was officially unveiled on May 14, 2010 along with a teaser site.
- ↑ Clients - Vision Engine. Trinigy.
- ↑ Anthony Gallegos (August 20, 2010). Gamescom: Bringing Back The Magic In Stronghold 3. IGN UK. Retrieved on August 26, 2010
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Patrick Kolan (August 26, 2010). Interview: Stronghold 3 – The Return of a Legend. IGN UK. Retrieved on August 24, 2010
- ↑ Wesley Yin-Poole (May 13, 2010). Stronghold 3 and Crusader 2 coming at some point. videogamer.com. Retrieved on May 10, 2010
- ↑ Firefly Studios Staff. Firefly Newsletter - Issue #2. Firefly Studios. Retrieved on May 14, 2010
- ↑ SouthPeak Games Staff (May 13, 2010). SouthPeak Games Acquires Rights to Publish Firefly Studios' Stronghold 3. SouthPeak Games. Retrieved on May 10, 2010