|Publisher||Distributed through Berlios|
|System(s)||Apple Macintosh, Microsoft Windows, Unix, anything with SDL|
SuperTux is a free, open source computer game inspired by Super Mario Bros.. You may immediately download it. The game is a sidescrolling platform adventure starring Tux the Linux penguin. The current version is "SuperTux milestone 1" or "SuperTux 0.1".
Supertux 0.1 is a very lightweight game, and does not even need 3D acceleration. There are attempts to port it to hardware such as the Zaurus PDA or the PSP. However, the upcoming 0.2 version uses OpenGL and will require 3D acceleration.
SuperTux has a story similar to Super Mario Bros. in that the hero must set off to free a hostage taken by the villain.
At the beginning of the game, the following text is scrolling:
- Penny gets captured!
- Tux and Penny were out having a nice
- picnic on the ice fields of Antarctica.
- Suddenly, a creature jumped from
- behind an ice bush, there was a flash,
- and Tux fell asleep!
- When Tux wakes up, he finds that Penny
- is missing. Where she lay before now
- lies a letter. "Tux, my arch enemy!"
- says the letter. "I have captured
- your beautiful Penny and have taken her
- to my fortress. The path to my fortress
- is littered with my minions. Give up on
- the thought of trying to reclaim her,
- you haven't a chance! -Nolok"
- Tux looks and see Nolok's fortress in
- the distance. Determined to save his
- beloved Penny, he begins his journey.
Tux must pass through several levels before arriving to Nolok's fortress. To keep the suspense, this page does not disclose the ending of the game.
As you can see on the screenshot displayed on this page,You have a limited number of life,but don't worry,you won't have to restart the game from the beguining when you die:you don't loose your progress
The only thing is that within a Level,when you die and you have some life remaining,you restart from the last automatically saved point inside the world,and so if you loose all your lives you will have to start from the beguining of the world
Your progress is automatically saved
The normale game is simple and can be done by anyone,but without being too much simple and boring
Some world of the Bonus Island at the opposite,are very difficult
you have several bonus such as __IMAGE__ that give you a normal size __IMAGE__
__IMAGE__ that turn you in a firetux __IMAGE__
while the normal sized tux doesn't give you an enormous advantage(when you get hit by enemies you don't die but you are changed into a small tux that die if he is hit by enemies) the firetux gives you an enormous advantages,loosing this capability(by being changed into a normal tux,because you were hit by an enemy) can render the level much more difficult,spedially in the Bonus Islands
Mabe the reason why the supertux developers have made some hidden world is to permit the user to rapidely re-acquire this firetux state That can be very useful for a person that isn't very skilled at videogames
In the 0.1.3 version of SuperTux there is 2 bonus island
You must finish the game(the normal world) in order to unlock the 2 Bonus island
At First sight that seams to be 2 supplementary level,but in fact that is a lot more than this:
the counting of the nubber of level in the bonus level is very inprecise...: the folowing is an example for the Bonus Island I
cd /usr/share/games/supertux/levels/bonus1 ls -l | grep -c .stl
Game data =
- Initially released April 3, 2003
- 0.1.3 is the last version of SuperTux milestone 1; it contains the bonus levels, "Bonus Island" I and II
- Windows 95
- despite of the fact that it works very well,it is too slow(unplayable 2.5 fps...it is very difficult to play at such framerate but i managed to finish the first level) on a pentium 166 laptop with 16MB of ram (windows 95 is also very slow,mabe it need to be reinstalled...),it is faster without open-gl(mabe the laptop has no 3d acceleration)
- i don't have reactos so i tested it with Wine 20050725 on gentoo(i have no sound in wine(i have to look why) so i couldn't have tested the sound...),there is no mouse and a fullscreen problem with kde(you can see the kde bar) but i install it without problems and it is playable
Gentoo has SuperTux 0.1.3 on amd64, ppc, and x86 architectures.