Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Superior Soldiers, known in Japan as Perfect Soldiers (パーフェクトソルジャーズ), is a 1993 fighting arcade game developed and published by Irem. It was created during the fighting game trend of the 1990s that began with Capcom's Street Fighter II. Several graphic designers of this and several other Irem titles later moved to SNK, and designed the graphics of the Metal Slug and The King of Fighters franchises.
The game takes place on an Earth-like planet in the same universe of R-Type, another arcade game by Irem. The date is August 1999. 90% of the human population died by an unknown energy later named "Force". Cities and other places became severely damaged. The 10% later became cyborgs to protect themselves, as well as to create a new humankind.
Superior Soldiers is space-themed and plays similarly to other 2D versus fighting games during its release, which the player's character fights against his or her opponent in best two-out-of-three matches in a single player tournament mode with the computer or against another human player. The player has a character roster of seven fighters to choose from, and one boss, each with their own unique fighting style and special techniques. Players also can perform dashing and charging attacks. In one player mode, after selecting a character, the arcade randomly selects an opponent. The opponent order goes randomly and always leaves the final boss last.
There are eight characters in the game.
- Template:Country data USAStar Savior (スターセイバー) (known outside of Japan as Starsaber; however the back of the North American arcade flyer spells his name as Star Sabor.)
- Template:Country data Saudi ArabiaArabian Moon (アラビアンムーン)
- Template:Country data UkraineMeltdown (メルトダウン)
- Template:Country data BrazilBroadway (ブロードウェイ) (known in outside of Japan as Cattydox)
- Template:Country data JapanBushidoh (ブシドー) (known outside of Japan as Busido)
- Template:Country data BrazilDinosaur (ダイナゾア) (known outside of Japan as Reptilian)
- Template:Country data USAEvil Talon (エビルクローン) (known outside of Japan as Satinsect)
- Template:NoflagSeleous (セレウス) (known in North America as Skull Reaper) - The antagonist of the game. Only playable using a code.
Besides the names of several characters, the North American version, Superior Soldiers lacks other things that are seen in the Japanese version, Perfect Soldiers. The Japanese version has an announcer shouting the name of the game at the title screen, as well as names of "who VS. who" at the VS. screens in Engrish. However, the well-known "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screen and new color graphics were added to the North American version.