The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer (known as: Mr. Incredible: Kyouteki Underminder Toujou in Japan) is a video game sequel to the animated film The Incredibles. It features Mr. Incredible and Frozone fighting The Underminer's legion of robot minions. The game features appearances by the rest of the Incredibles, though they are not playable characters.
John Ratzenberger reprises his role of the Underminer while the other characters from the film are voiced by different voice actors.
The game starts off with the final movie scene in which the Parr family walk out from Dash's race, and then the Underminer drills out of the ground and monologues on how he will rule the world, as the Incredibles get into their suits and prepare for battle. The game then takes its own storyline as the Incredibles face off against the Underminer. Frozone comes in and the six Supers face off against the supervillain. Before they can confront him, however, drills and robots come out of the ground like moles in a garden. Mr. Incredible tells his family to stop the drills. Then Mr. Incredible and Frozone team up and agree to get to the Underminer before he causes any more damage. Along the way, the two Supers fight against robots and avoid things falling out of the sky thanks to the Underminer's attack (a la, cars, boulders). The two get to the Underminer's machine, but he quickly escapes underground. Mr. Incredible and Frozone venture underground and fight more robots.
As they continue on, Mr. Incredible and Frozone get to a computer that maps out the Underminer's plans and they learn of the Magnomizer, a machine that he has built which can be a threat to the world (extreme pollution) if it isn't stopped. In order to stop it, the two Supers must go through the Sludge Station.
Mr. Incredible and Frozone fight through more robots and obstacles in the Sludge Station. They eventually destroy a machine blocking their path, and destroy a wall which leads outside into a snowy gray part of the underground. They go through it and get into a room where they fight the Magnomizer Guardian and its robots. And considering that the Guardian is too high off the ground for Frozone to freeze, Mr. Incredible decides to throw objects (robots, whether if they're frozen or not by Frozone, metal boxes, frozen sludge balls launched by either the Guardian itself or one of its Grubbot assistants) towards the Magnomizer Guardian. He apparently does enough to make it unable to shoot out any sludge balls or fire balls, thus allowing them to destroy it.
They then take an elevator that leads to the Magnomizer basement, where they figure out that the place is unstable and falling apart without the Magnomizer Guardian. They fight through more robots again and make their way up, avoiding falling from the collapsing stairs that they go up through and still battle off robots. They eventually reach the top roof of the Magnomizer, where the machine itself is. While Mr. Incredible unscrews the bolts that holds down the Magnomizer with his super strength, Frozone uses his powers to keep off the guarding robots. Finally, Mr. Incredible unscrews every bolt holding down the Magnomizer and the entire Magnomizer building starts to blow up. Mr. Incredible and Frozone quickly escape through a tank-like machine, and it falls all the way into a deep, dark pit the machine makes when it falls through the ground.
The Underminer is aware that Mr. Incredible and Frozone have destroyed the Magnomizer and alerts the Crustodian, the head of the Giant Robot Factory, that the two Supers might arrive to the Factory, and the Underminer also tells the Crustodian to hurry the deadline for all 100 of the Underminer's giant robots called the Gilgenbots up to Earth's surface for his final attack on Earth and reign supreme as ruler of the entire planet. The Crustodian alarms every robot in the factory about Mr. Incredible and Frozone's arrival. Finally, the two arrive and fight against even more robots as they travel the Factory, where they destroy three Gilgenbots still in production. Eventually, the two reach the main office where the Crustodian is. And because of the three Gilgenbots' destruction, the Crustodian decides that this is an unacceptable failure and declares that he will destroy the other 96 Gilgenbots to cover his failure (the Underminer already has a Gilgenbot with him). The Supers fight the Crustodian and take down more robots helping him, also accidentally activating the bomb that will blow up the Factory - starting with the office! Eventually, Mr. Incredible and Frozone defeat the Crustodian in battle by destroying his giant robot body and the entire place slowly starts to crumble. The Crustodian, who is really just a glass cylinder with electricity in it to keep it active, begins to leave, as his remaining live head rolls and jumps off a ledge, and Mr. Incredible is obsessed with stopping him. Frozone tells Mr. Incredible they have no time, and Mr. Incredible leaves once the Crustodian disappears. They take an elevator that leads them to an underwater plant that originally supplied power to the now-destroyed Magnomizer, and the still-active Corrupterator.
Mr. Incredible and Frozone figure out they are in a power impressure plant run by a robot named Dug - and the plant is slowly breaking and the water is coming through! After travelling from elevator to elevator and fighting off difficult robots, the two finally reach Dug. Dug tells him he didn't mean to have robots attack the two Supers and he agrees to help them save a group of scientists that are trapped in the Underminer's Corrupterator, a giant machine the size of a major city. On the way the two help protect Dug from robots he can't command, upcoming lasers, deadly obstacles, and gaps. After all this, Dug opens an elevator for Mr. Incredible and Frozone to go into to save the scientists. Unfortunately, Dug refuses to go any further and leaves Mr. Incredible and Frozone on their own, but he tells them that because of his actions, the Corrupterator will simply shut down, and the Underminer has no idea how to reactivate it. Dug will most likely be destroyed because the Gilgenbots' destruction and debris will soon start crashing upon his underwater plant and destroy everything in it.
The Underminer announces to all his robots that even though most of his plans are foiled and the robot army is delayed, Doomsday will come. The robots' next mission is to kill the scientists. But Mr. Incredible and Frozone easily find and save the scientists in the Corrupterator building, but they must keep them from getting killed by lasers. After the scientists are saved, they go down through an escape tunnel and Mr. Incredible and Frozone continue their journey. They eventually confront the Underminer and try to stop him, but the mutant escapes in his Gilgenbot. Mr. Incredible and Frozone then get to an elevator in which they go up to the ground to stop the Underminer once and for all.
Mr. Incredible and Frozone finally come out aboveground, and confront the Underminer, who shows off his only Gilgenbot to Metroville. But first, Mr. Incredible and Frozone must defeat a group of robots the Underminer has for them. After they succeed, the Underminer comes in to attack with another, smaller machine. The two damage the machine, but the Underminer returns to the Gilgenbot to rest while the rest of his machines try to defeat Mr. Incredible and Frozone. The two Supers succeed in taking down the machines and the Underminer returns to fight Mr. Incredible and Frozone. Even though he returned to his machine, he quickly came back with only laser-firing turrets lashing for Mr. Incredible and Frozone to face. In the end, Mr. Incredible and Frozone finally defeat the Underminer, making his machine go haywire, fly into the sky, and come down hard on the Gilgenbot's head, causing a giant explosion that most likely kills the Underminer and destroys the Gilgenbot. Mr. Incredible and Frozone escape the blast and Mr. Incredible's family arrive just in time to watch with Mr. Incredible and Frozone defeat the Underminer and save the world once more.
There are three bonus missions that follow, and each mission is activated by the time that a boss level is reached (there are three bosses in the game: the Magnomizer Guardian, the Crustodian and the Underminer respectfully). Each mission has three levels in turn. In Mission 1, Stage 1, Mr. Incredible and Frozone need to defeat fifty-four robots in a parking lot aboveground. In Mission 1, Stage 2, Mr. Incredible and Frozone must make sure that fifteen scientists (three areas, five in each area) in a parking lot reach their helicopters and see that the Underminer's don't kill the scientists along the way. In Mission 1, Stage 3, Mr. Incredible and Frozone must see to the destruction of six drills that are holding up one of the Underminer's underground vehicles aboveground.
In Mission 2, Stage 1, Mr. Incredible and Frozone must defeat seventy-five robots in combat in a snowy background similar to the setting of the game's fourth level, "Blizzard Backdoor." In Mission 2, Stage 2, Mr. Incredible must lift a frozen scientist and carry him back to a laser for de-freezing and Frozone must see to it that no robots attack him or the robots kill the scientist as well. In Mission 2, Stage 3, Mr. Incredible and Frozone must keep many robots from killing several scientists whom are trying to thaw their friends from the ice that they're trapped in.
In Mission 3, Stage 1, Mr. Incredible and Frozone must kill seventy-nine robots in a Gilgenbot assembly line in combat. In Mission 3, Stage 2, Mr. Incredible and Frozone must protect a few scientists from being killed by robots so that the scientists can save more of their friends and access the Gilgenbot's features. Mission 3, Stage 3 picks up where the last stage left off, and Mr. Incredible and Frozone must make sure that three capsules connecting to the Gilgenbot's machinery do not bolt themselves into the ground of the assembly line so that the scientists can shut the robot off.
Once the player(s) successfully pass all of the missions in total, they end up into the boss fight that enacted the mission's arrival into the game (a la, if they completely pass Mission 1, they end up in the Magnomizer Guardian level).
Levels and Their Objectives
- 1. Underminer Threat - Mr. Incredible and Frozone must travel throughout the city of Metroville as it's being attacked by robots and giant drills so that the duo can get to the machines' creator, the Underminer, and defeat him.
- 2. Digging Deeper - Mr. Incredible and Frozone venture underground to continue their chase of the Underminer, while battling off more robots that the villain throws their way.
- 3. Sludge Station - After figuring out that the Underminer has a machine called the Magnomizer which is meant to pollute Earth in order to further his plans of world domination, Mr. Incredible and Frozone decide to take a shortcut through the Sludge Station, a sludge pumping facility filled with waiting and guarding robots waiting to kill the duo - or more likely be killed by them.
- 4. Blizzard Backdoor - Mr. Incredible and Frozone's journey for the Magnomizer continues as they battle off even more robots through a snowy background which will lead them to the entrance of the giant machine.
- 5. Magnomizer Guardian - The one obstacle left in Mr. Incredible and Frozone's way to get to the Magnomizer is its Guardian, which uses an array of sludge bullets and missiles, fire balls and a personal army of robot reinforcements at its side ready to counter the Super duo and protect the Magnomizer until deactivation - or destruction, in Mr. Incredible and Frozone's case. And the only way to defeat the Magnomizer Guardian is for Mr. Incredible to throw objects, such as metallic boxes, robots (frozen or otherwise) and frozen sludge balls via Frozone at the Guardian in order to defeat it.
- 6. Magnomizer - Having just destroyed the Magnomizer Guardian, Mr. Incredible and Frozone enter the Magnomizer building and they must travel up collapsing stairs, fight off more protective robots and to get to the roof so that Mr. Incredible can unscrew the bolts holding the machine down in order to destroy it.
- 7. Giant Robot Factory - Following the Magnomizer's destruction in Mr. Incredible's hands, the Underminer alerts the Crustodian, head of the Giant Robot Factory, to not just hurry the deadline for all 100 giant Gilgenbots up to the surface of the earth, but that the Crustodian must also send out its robots to kill Mr. Incredible and Frozone so they won't interfere in the Underminer's plans any further. But considering all they've been through, it'll be easy to get through the Crustodian's robots.
- 8. The Crustodian - Mr. Incredible and Frozone reach the Crustodian's office and must do battle with him and his reinforcing robots before the Giant Robot Factory explodes and destroys the remaining 96 Gilgenbots.
- 9. Underwater Station - After destroying the Crustodian and escaping the crumbling Giant Robot Factory, Mr. Incredible and Frozone reach the underwater power plant that once supplied power to the Magnomizer, and is now supplying power to the Underminer's Corrupterator building. The duo must fight through more robots in order to get to the station's leader, Dug. And when they do, Dug surprises them by telling them that he is the only robot who wants to foil the Underminer's plans. So he agrees to help them further their adventure in stopping the villain, and they in turn save him from lasers and robots he can't control.
- 10. The Corrupterator - Mr. Incredible and Frozone battle their way through several more robots, and must protect five scientists from being killed by lasers. And when they're done, the Underminer is next.
- 11. Last Ditch Effort - Mr. Incredible and Frozone finally confront the Underminer aboveground as he shows his only remaining Gilgenbot to Metroville. The duo battle off the Underminer's personal army of robots, as well as the villain himself in a smaller drilling machine, and they must defeat him once and for all in order to save the day.
- John Ratzenberger - The Underminer
- Greg Ellis
- Deena Freeman
- Philip Lawrence
- Richard McGonagle
- Jon Olson
- Rob Paulsen
- Isaac C. Singleton, Jr.